Coachman caravan hot and cold water system - help wanted please

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
Has anybody got a Coachman Amara caravan around 2009 year of manufacture. I would like photograph of the cold water system under the from seats. We have just bought one and are having some minor issues with the water system. I believe a previous owner has removed the non-return valve from the water system and replaced it with a standard pipe union. I would like a photograph showing the water inlet and the pipe arrangement around the heater to compare with ours. Any help gratefully received. Thank you.

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
Did you buy privately or from a dealer? If from a dealer, get the dealer to do the fix.
No I bought privately. I am pretty certain the NRV has leaked and someone has replaced it with a standard pipe union but would like to see how it is installed in another caravan just to be certain.

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
IMG_0811.JPG
Hi Damian

Here is a photograph of the current set up (this is how it was when I bought it). The arrowed fitting is the one I suspect to be wrong. The pipe curved former (arrowed) on the floor strongly suggest the pipe originally ran straight to the inlet. I temporarily tried an in-line non-return valve and it has solved the back flow problem (and the issue of the pump constantly turning on and off) but the tap pressure/flow now seems a little low. Speaking to Truma they have advised the NRV should go after the drain valve which would be a totally different position but nothing else looks like it has been altered in the pipework. The second picture shows the drain valve on the other side of the water heater. I would like see an original installation to verify how it was installed.

1. The type of non-return valve fitted (Truma I presume but not certain which model).
2. The pipe layout

Any other suggestions or help is very much appreciated

Paul

Paul IMG_0812.JPG

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Looking at your pictures you are right concerning the 90 degree bend on the cold pipe, it should not be there.
What you could do is replace the bend with a straight connector probably having to shorten one of the pipes to give a more normal straight through pipe, or replace the whole length of the blue pipe from inlet to heater.

You also have two drain valves (the ones with yellow levers) for both hot and cold water which are straight through connectors with a dump tube to the outside and a shut off for the dump attached to the yellow lever.

Fitting any kind of bend, restrictor or anything else into any pipework will reduce the pressure at the tap as the water (or gas ) has to overcome these obstacles.

As far as I can see the setup looks pretty good, apart from that 90 degree bend.

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
Dear all

Thank you for your help. The problem is now solved. I am posting a conclusion here just in case anyone else has similar problems. After speaking to Truma's technical support I was advised there is not a NRV in the inlet housing and they advised me to fit one (Part No 70160-05 - £13 - see picture below). I have just installed said part in place of the 90 degree elbow and the problem is solved. The pump has stopped cutting in every minute (which was the original problem) and the water is not running back into the Aquaroll. In addition the water pressure and flow is much better than with the other temporary NRV. There is a lot less restriction in this NRV when you blow through it in the direct of water flow compared to the previous one. Once again thank you for taking time to provide some help. We have a weekend away in the van next weekend to properly check it but I am very hopeful both problems are solved.

IMG_AAD326BD9E1F-1.jpeg

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. When I changed my pump last week (Flojet) I looked at the pipework configuration and it too has a 90 degree bend just before the pump's inlet. Neither does the inlet line have Flojet strainer which is a Flojet requirement for 2 year warranty. These bits will be changed shortly. I should say that my pipework configuration is OEM....say no more.:(

Sep 20, 2020
Visit site
I have all sorts of issues with my Coachman Pastiche 2008 water system. Hot water getting into the cold water pipe at the heater and impossible to reliably adjust the Truma surge unit. My layout is EXACTLY the same as yours including the elbow fitting, but no NRV anywhere that I can see. I'm going to fit one and see if that helps. Useful post...

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Although I have no problems with my water system I still read most problems and sometimes solutions because you never know when your next problem is going to occur, this problem was presented in an excellent manner with pictures showing exactly what was fitted, it enabled someone with experience to quickly diagnose a problem and the probable solution,it’s refreshing to get such feedback and it seems there are others who already have now remedies for possible problems of there own, well done to the original poster for giving us the results of his remedy, and to Damiens diagnosis.

BP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts