Cobham Service Area M25.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I stopped at the new Cobham Service area a a few hours ago for the first time whilst returning from a pickup near Venlo.
Cobham services is on the clockwise side of the M25 just before the A3 but it service both sides of the motorway with a slip road and tunnel from the anticlockwise lanes after the A3 heading towards Gatwick of the tunnel / Dover. I could only find 10 caravan parking bays! But there is a huge truck park there.

10 caravan parking bays for servicing both sides of the M25 seems very poor to me. I'd say that not a lot of thought has been given to towing driving safety if the authorities want caravan outfit drivers to stop and take a break like other drivers.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
If you're traveling anti-clockwise I would suggest you do stop at the new services. The next, Clacket Lane, has a layby on the edge of the car parking area that will take a maximum of three outfits. However, as the sign has been missing for over a year you're likely to find "white van man" parked slap in the middle. It's then too late to access the HVG parking area as the road leads back onto the motorway.
I think we're partly to blame really. Very few caravaners spend much, if any, money at the service areas so there's no real incentive for the operators to go out of their way to cater for caravans even though, as Gybe says, we need to take breaks too.
smiley-yell.gif

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
We stopped at Cobham Services a few days after it first opened. To be honest it was absolute bedlam, with people getting lost due to poor signage. When we found the caravan parking we were quite shocked, they are designed to suit a Mini towing a 1970's Sprite. There is not enough length for a modern outfit. On our return journey a week later, we totally mis-read the signs and ended up in the HGV parking area, which was massive. Care is needed when leaving the services, as it would be easy to make a mistake and end up going in the wrong direction on the M25. But as said above, it is better than the Clacket Lane anticlockwise offering. The layby caravan parking is dangerous, especially for children, due to speeding cars coming around a blind bend with high hedges. Take care folks!!

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Tebay Services can be a nightmare for caravanners too, with cars and vans regularly parking in caravan slots and no supervision by the staff. If you plan to break your journey there, be forewarned! On our last visit, we had to pull straight out again because of inconsiderate parking. We don't stop there anymore.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Odsalt is correct, I should have said that the caravan parking bays are very short. I doubt that most modern family hatch with a family 4/5 berth caravan will fit in them A SUV with a twin axle has no hope!
Cobham's caravan parking area is to the far left of the parking area in front of the services building. There is quite a large extended parking area to the left of the building in front of the caravan area and I guess it would be wise too take up two parking bays there as most cars will use the area in front of the building. Or head for the huge truck parking area.
Final landscaping is under way there and the site is now well sign posted. You'd have to be pretty supid to head back the way you came.

But should there not be some regulation in the planning permission about catering for all road users and also providing suitably sized parking areas?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I agree that caravan parking can be difficult in services. Even the excellent north bound on the M6 near Stoke you find HGVS and WVM in the caravan area even when the lorry areas still have adequate spaces available. At Fleet services caravans just park in amongst HGVS which actually works quite well. I would have thought DoT could make service areas allow caravans in the HGVS or Coach areas if the dedicated caravan bays are full. I know HGVS drivers have to have mandatory stops but caravan and motorhome drivers also need rest stops without fear of a penalty notice too. Perhaps the NCC could take up the cudgels or are they soley interested in caravan sales:)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think we are a nuisance to the operators. Car drivers use little space can bring in a family or reps use them regularly and pay through the nose for the food. Lorry drivers need space but are regulars and coaches carry large numbers for the doubtful priviledge of eating there.
We need lots of space, are not regulars and eat on board but use the toilets, I cannot see us ever getting a good deal.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
All motorway service areas have a statutory obligation to provide toilet facilities and free parking for all vehicle types for 2 hours - it's not negotiable and they can't discriminate against anyone who only uses those facilities.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But if that is the case how come we hear of caravans and motorhomes being given a penalty for parking in HGV or car areas by the car park operator. Were is it stated in statute as I would feel far more at ease breaking their rules if I knew it was writen down in law.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
But if that is the case how come we hear of caravans and motorhomes being given a penalty for parking in HGV or car areas by the car park operator. Were is it stated in statute as I would feel far more at ease breaking their rules if I knew it was writen down in law.
There is an problem which Highways Agency have been made aware of but are reluctant to get involved - MSAs can have spaces dedicated to specific vehicle types, eg Cars, Coaches, HGVs and Caravans but their use of PCNs for parking in the wrong space when designated spaces are full is a grey area.
I suggest that every caravanner takes this issue up with Highways Agency and their local MP

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have sent an email to HA specifically asking the question of can I be clamped or penalised financially if I have to park in HGVS coach or even car spaces if the caravan spaces are not available. HA say a reply can take up to 15 days. I will post on receipt.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
otherclive said:
Thanks for the reply. I have sent an email to HA specifically asking the question of can I be clamped or penalised financially if I have to park in HGVS coach or even car spaces if the caravan spaces are not available. HA say a reply can take up to 15 days. I will post on receipt.
Clamping is now banned so "fines" are the operators only option and even then they have to prove their case. They may have to provide parking for all types of traffic but there is nothing to say that caravans cannot be accomodated in the HGV area rather than having a dedicated space. If you cannot get in the designated area I think the only safe answer is try the next services. If other vehicles are being parked in the wrong area and not being charged then the operator would have difficulty making a charge stick if they charged you as this would amount to discrimination.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have had a reply from the HA re my question on caravans being able to park in HGVS spots if the caravan bays are full. I think it must have been generated by a computer as it told me the location (???) was not recognised as a part of the StrategicHighway network and that I should contact the relevant local authority. How on earth they can consider a motorway service area as not part of the strategic road network puzzles me. Needless to say I will be going back to them and asking the question again

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here's HA the reply that I refered to above. I can see that this will be a long drawn out period of correspondence and my first task will be to re-phrase the question in a manner that they can understand!!

Good morning

Thank you for your e-mail to the Highways Agency Information Line.

Firstly, we very much appreciate your time taken to contact the Highways Agency.

The Highways Agency are responsible for the maintenance and stewardship of the Strategic Road Network and this can be viewed on our website. The vast majority of roads in England are managed and maintained by local authorities and these are separate organisations from the Highways Agency and we have no jurisdiction over them.

The location you have reported is not located on the Strategic Road Network, therefore you will need to report this to the appropriate local authority so their departments can act accordingly. Understandably we appreciate that this may not be common knowledge for everyone so I am pleased to inform you that the contact details for the appropriate local authority can be found using the Direct Gov website at http://mycouncil.direct.gov.uk/index.html.

Further information on how the Highways Agency manages the Strategic Road Network are available on our website if required.

Should you have any further questions about the above issue or any other Highways Agency related issues please contact us via e-mail or telephone on 0300 123 5000.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts