Collected van after service..not happy

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive
The pathetic structure of all exterior doors on caravans is poor. Never mind the seals the doors seem to be made in two sections that are merely”glued” together. They leak. People spend money and time changing the rubber seals when the culprit is the door itself!
Yes had it on my Bailey 2005 S5 pageant too. After about three years they. had to be resealed.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for replies.
To eliminate the roof strap leaking,would the dealer check the meter readings from bottom of internal cupboards to the floor?
Then I suppose remove the plastic tray in side that locker to check just underneath where the bottom of the locker frame meets the floor?
Obviously carry out a visual check on the roof.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for replies.
To eliminate the roof strap leaking,would the dealer check the meter readings from bottom of internal lockers to the floor?
Then I suppose remove the plastic tray in side that locker to check just underneath where the bottom of the locker frame meets the floor?
Obviously carry out a visual check on the roof.
I would hope the dealer would check everywhere, otherwise he doesn't know where the damp is originating from, it could be creeping along the floor and up the wall of the shower. Readings on the wall will give a better insight. Fingers crossed for you. If the dealer decideds it is not the roof strap, then after his repair it would be a good idea to seal the strap with a good sealing tape.

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I would hope the dealer would check everywhere, otherwise he doesn't know where the damp is originating from, it could be creeping along the floor and up the wall of the shower. Readings on the wall will give a better insight. Fingers crossed for you. If the dealer decideds it is not the roof strap, then after his repair it would be a good idea to seal the strap with a good sealing tape.
Hutch
what you see here is the damp testing problem of non timber construction. As far as I know the floor is the main testing area on Alu-tech.

Reactions: JezzerB and Hutch
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Very unlucky. Just hope the dealer can sort out the problem and the parts turn up reasonably quickly. If you bought the caravan last year you should have a claim against the dealer assuming the problem was there when you bought the caravan but possibly better to let the guarantee firm sort it if they will. The legal point might be useful though if you have problems and also remember that you also could claim against any credit card company or HP provider if problems arise. In fact if there is finance on it, it is probably worthwhile advising the firms involved, but let them know that at the moment you do not need their help.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Raywood.
To be honest with regards to the water ingress,I don't know if there was a problem when we purchased it.
We had 2 holidays in it last year and found no faults whatsoever.(apart from 1 magnetic catch broke which I replaced).
I'm hoping the warranty will cover some of the cost.
Unfortunately,the Bailey dealer I purchased it from does not accept credit cards(I wonder why🤔) and we part exchanged our previous van with them with the balance by bank transfer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you Raywood.
To be honest with regards to the water ingress,I don't know if there was a problem when we purchased it.
We had 2 holidays in it last year and found no faults whatsoever.(apart from 1 magnetic catch broke which I replaced).
Unfortunately,the Bailey dealer I purchased it from does not accept credit cards(I wonder why🤔) and we part exchanged our previous van with them with the balance by bank transfer.
Did you not have the option of just initially paying your deposit with a card? If so then if the deposit were above the Section 75 limit the credit card company should support any claim if it should come to that, which I hope it doesn't.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
No otherclive.
No credit cards accepted at all😔

I may be totally wrong but maybe the reason is that they don't want to have the credit cards legal team fighting any disputes or claims.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thank you Raywood.
However you are still covered by CRA 2015 as it could be regarded as an inherent fault which as there from day one, but did not manifest itself until a few months ago. My suggestion is that you contact Which Legal Services on 0117 405 4288 and speak to them about your options. They can advise on the best way to ap;proach the issue and to go about resolving the issue with the dealer.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However you are still covered by CRA 2015 as it could be regarded as an inherent fault which as there from day one, but did not manifest itself until a few months ago. My suggestion is that you contact Which Legal Services on 0117 405 4288 and speak to them about your options. They can advise on the best way to ap;proach the issue and to go about resolving the issue with the dealer.
How much do Which legal services charge for advice
Thank you Buckman.
Will see what the Bailey supplying dealer has to say tomorrow when I take the van to them then take it from there.
Good idea it’s always best to try and resolve an issue face to face. Once attitudes harden then difficulties can arise.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How much do Which legal services charge for advice

Good idea it’s always best to try and resolve an issue face to face. Once attitudes get then difficulties can arise.
Normally the first session is free as they will discuss your options. If you decdie it is worth pursuing then it is about £90 for the year for as much legal advice as you require and they are excellent. We used them to reject our caravan and to also take on a finance house.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Normally the first session is free as they will discuss your options. If you decdie it is worth pursuing then it is about £90 for the year for as much legal advice as you require and they are excellent. We used them to reject our caravan and to also take on a finance house.
Do you need to subscribe to Which?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Do you need to subscribe to Which?

I find Which infuriating. I recently joined for a limited half price deal as I was looking to buy a new oven, American fridge and home printer. Absolutely useless. Out of date, not answering obvious questions and making ridiculous unrelated suggestions.

I just tried to find the answer to your question. You would think it would be easy to Google, ‘what is included in my subscription’. But no. I think Which Money is included but I don’t think Legal is, but I could be wrong.

I think the Money might be good for those interested. Also, I imagine that the Legal is, as Buckman says, also good. But for everyday stuff. Not for me.

Just an opinion.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I find Which infuriating. I recently joined for a limited half price deal as I was looking to buy a new oven, American fridge and home printer. Absolutely useless. Out of date, not answering obvious questions and making ridiculous unrelated suggestions.

I just tried to find the answer to your question. You would think it would be easy to Google, ‘what is included in my subscription’. But no. I think Which Money is included but I don’t think Legal is, but I could be wrong.

I think the Money might be good for those interested. Also, I imagine that the Legal is, as Buckman says, also good. But for everyday stuff. Not for me.

Just an opinion.

John
Simple. When we subscribed we also got the Which magazine. You can pay upfront or monthly. We were with Which legal for a year and now just subscribe for the magazine.
Most of what we have wanted we found reviews in the Which magazine however we also looked up other reviews before making a decision.
Either way Which Legal is up to date and gives you the correct information which is what you need if pursuing CRA 2015 for whatever reason.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Simple. When we subscribed we also got the Which magazine. You can pay upfront or monthly. We were with Which legal for a year and now just subscribe for the magazine.
Most of what we have wanted we found reviews in the Which magazine however we also looked up other reviews before making a decision.
Either way Which Legal is up to date and gives you the correct information which is what you need if pursuing CRA 2015 for whatever reason.

So Which Legal is an extra, or separate subscription?

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Is the Which magazine worth having because i am into reviews before I decide on anything

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Good news👍👍👍
Just returned from Bailey dealer and it isn't the roof strap.
As Dustydog suggested,its the rear N/S locker door.
He carried out a thorough damp test and nearly all readings were slightly lower than the onsite service depot.😲
He's put some water proof tape along the top and sides as they can't have it in until August as they are completely booked and can't guarantee when a new door assembly will be available.
At least we can carry on with our booked holidays now.
Luckily,I only work 3 miles from storage compound so will try to get up there to open everything up as much as possible to maybe reduce the moisture levels slightly.
He fixed the toilet flush within 5 minutes(stuck impeller),did his own test on the RCD and said its fine.
Can now happily pay the balance on our first trip away to Warcombe farm in June .🤗🤗

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Totally reassuring to know the cause and to have a temporary repair so you can carry on with your holidays! Hopefully the locker unit will arrive in good time to get it fixed properly before next autumn/winter. Happy travels!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts