Collecting newer van with wet heating

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Weve decided to upgrade our current van and collecting a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz in 2 weeks.
After reading many reports,tips,hints,advice etc.. on internet,should I be asking questions at the "handover" such as
Has the antifreeze been changed recently
Where are the bleed nipples
How do I top up anti freeze.
Never had the wet system before so I think I should be asking relevant questions like this.
Are there anymore I should ask regarding Alde system?
Many thanks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think, you should request the Antifreeze/corrosion fluid should be replaced prior to collection, but yes ask all the points you mentioned , not sure if it has a solar panel, but instructions on the use and control of it.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
I picked up my new caravan this week, and be prepared for a slightly different walk through..

Once we washed and sanatised our hands, gloves and masks on, we went down to go through the handover, we did a tour around the outside, but when it came to going through the inside of the caravan, the chap sent us in, and talked us through all the various aspects from the door.

Which I actually found more useful, as having to listen, the sort out such things as the drian down etc, I actually took the information in more...

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Marsh Harrier.
When we viewed ours this afternoon,the salesman,also stood at the door to answer questions.
It wasnt until we got home and did some internet browsing about Alde,(never had it before) I realised there were some questions I should have asked today.
We are taking our part ex.over to them this Tuesday to swap motor.mover,gas bottles,battery,number plate,so will ask them to change anti freeze,or at least tell me when it was last done.
Just wondering if its a job just for the main dealer to carry out or can any suitable qualified company can do it🤔

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
The original Alde fluid should have been replaced after 2 years to a type that lasts 5 years. Check that it was. Alde wet heating is great once you get to know it. Have to say that the control panel on Alde is much much easier to use than the new Truma blown air control panel. The Alde panel is touch screen and quite logical in its layout. The truma one involves twiddling and pressing a knob and is not as user friendly.
Mel

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Weve decided to upgrade our current van and collecting a 2015 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz in 2 weeks.
After reading many reports,tips,hints,advice etc.. on internet,should I be asking questions at the "handover" such as
Has the antifreeze been changed recently
Where are the bleed nipples
How do I top up anti freeze.
Never had the wet system before so I think I should be asking relevant questions like this.
Are there anymore I should ask regarding Alde system?
Many thanks

This link may be helpful. There’s a different change periodicity between the blue or green fluids. But if it was originally blue and previous owner went to G13 it may not yet require changing. But if I didn’t have the full service record then I would change it. That way you know when the clock starts for you.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I found setting the timer for the alde a bit odd after being used to Truma but Mel is right it is generally simpler . You get a day mode and can set the times for water and temp and night mode and then a nothing mode so plenty of scope or May be i am still missing something?

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
Didn't realise that the Alde system, needed anti-freeze the van has been serviced regularly and by the caravan centre I brought from. so hopefully they've sorted the Anti-freeze change durning a service or at the service they just done. Shall have inquire.

All they said, was if the level's drop to top it up with water, and that when you turn everything on, it does bubble which is normal, then it settles.

The run through of the Alde control, appeared pretty easy, and was amazed to the various settings available on it, more whistles and bells on it, than my house centre heating!

Its frightening in one way to how much electronic wizardry modern caravans has, the Elddis Affinity I've just brought has IDC (intelligent drive control). which links the van's breaks to my car breaking system to assist with anti-snaking on the van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Didn't realise that the Alde system, needed anti-freeze the van has been serviced regularly and by the caravan centre I brought from. so hopefully they've sorted the Anti-freeze change durning a service or at the service they just done. Shall have inquire.

All they said, was if the level's drop to top it up with water, and that when you turn everything on, it does bubble which is normal, then it settles.

The run through of the Alde control, appeared pretty easy, and was amazed to the various settings available on it, more whistles and bells on it, than my house centre heating!

Its frightening in one way to how much electronic wizardry modern caravans has, the Elddis Affinity I've just brought has IDC (intelligent drive control). which links the van's breaks to my car breaking system to assist with anti-snaking on the van.

A car system isn’t “just topped up with water”. If it requires a top up you normally use the correct concentration of fluid ie 50% which if you are using concentrate the water dilution is with distilled water. The OM or Alde website should give the necessary information.

How does the IDC work is it the same as the Alko ATC or is it exercising a degree of control over the car? That would be complex as how does it talk to the cars software.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
From what ive read Marsh Harrier,I believe the Alde system requires anti freeze to obviously prevent it from freezing but also helps protect the inside of the system.
A bit like a car I suppose.
Before I collect it,I will ask them to ensure it has fresh antifreeze,run the system and then bleed it if required.
Will also make sure they show me where the bleed nipples are incase I should need to do it myself at some point.
Oh.....and maybe purchase some correct Alde antifreeze incase it needs topping up in the future.
This Alde is all new to me bur with the very good replies from members on here and the powers of the internet,im learning all the time😊

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From what ive read Marsh Harrier,I believe the Alde system requires anti freeze to obviously prevent it from freezing but also helps protect the inside of the system.
A bit like a car I suppose.
Before I collect it,I will ask them to ensure it has fresh antifreeze,run the system and then bleed it if required.
Will also make sure they show me where the bleed nipples are incase I should need to do it myself at some point.
Oh.....and maybe purchase some correct Alde antifreeze incase it needs topping up in the future
If it’s G13 that’s one extensively used by VAG so your Tiguans top up fluid might be okay if that is G13.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
A car system isn’t “just topped up with water”. If it requires a top up you normally use the correct concentration of fluid ie 50% which if you are using concentrate the water dilution is with distilled water. The OM or Alde website should give the necessary information.

How does the IDC work is it the same as the Alko ATC or is it exercising a degree of control over the car? That would be complex as how does it talk to the cars software.

When it comes to the anti-freeze in my car, I leave that to the garage when I take it in for its service.. I just to the normal check, to ensure enough fluid is there, when I check the oil etc.

The IDC connects to the wizardry of my car S-AWC system, which does all sorts of things which includes when towing. I had the tow bar fitted by the dealership when I brought my car, so all runs via the hook up. But the idea is like my car if it feels the caravan starting to sneak, it will gently apply breaking to help prevent a snaking. Not full proof obsoletely.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When it comes to the anti-freeze in my car, I leave that to the garage when I take it in for its service.. I just to the normal check, to ensure enough fluid is there, when I check the oil etc.

The IDC connects to the wizardry of my car S-AWC system, which does all sorts of things which includes when towing. I had the tow bar fitted by the dealership when I brought my car, so all runs via the hook up. But the idea is like my car if it feels the caravan starting to sneak, it will gently apply breaking to help prevent a snaking. Not full proof obsoletely.

So should your anti freeze be low in the car. what do you do then?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Insist that the fluid is changed for the 5 year fluid. Even if the fluid was changed at the 2 year interval it will may need changing again. Is the fluid blue or pink in colour as that will tell you whether it is the 2 year (blue) or 5 year fluid? If it is still blue and the caravan is 5 years old that may raise a concern as you still have the original 2 year fluid in a 5 year old caravan.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
So should your anti freeze be low in the car. what do you do then?

Used to do anti-freeze checks on my cars, but new car that goes into dealership for its warranty service, and a pre-winter check. So would assume that its taken car off. But if I had to sort myself I'd pass it down to one of my son -in-laws :)

No good asking hubby, he's never learnt to drive, to him a car is a expensive metal box...

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Used to do anti-freeze checks on my cars, but new car that goes into dealership for its warranty service, and a pre-winter check. So would assume that its taken car off. But if I had to sort myself I'd pass it down to one of my son -in-laws :)

No good asking hubby, he's never learnt to drive, to him a car is a expensive metal box...

Hubby is spot on, but omitted to mention the other money pit called “ a caravan”. 🤐 Which can so often also influence the car decisions too like some endless circle.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
You should ask for evidence that the fluid was changed after two years and what with as there are two types two and five year ones. After that you need a complete demonstration of how to use that and everything else fitted. You should not have to top the fluid up, and it depends if you feel you are up to changing the fluid, as to whether you see how to drain it, although you will find details on you tube anyway.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
If the fluid has been recently changed make sure the circulation pump has been reset back to speed position 1 or 2 from ‘full chat’ needed to purge the old fluid and air from the system. Makes the system noisy if left on the fastest speed.
It is a DIY job if you’re competent with the spanners , buy G13 coolant from a motor factors and mix with distilled water.
The level in the header tank should be checked cold and with the system off.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One other thing about the Alde heating, we found it takes longer to warm up than blown air systems, so now the first thing we do once the steadies are down and electric on, is to switch on the heating,it warms throughout the van, but does take time to get to temperature, once there you we don't really notice how warm it gets until you go outside, really good system in our opinion

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Well......I collect it next Wednesday and putting it straight into storage.
They have about 6 pitches in the field at the storage site with water/waste/electric for customers who buy a van from them(ours was purchased elsewhere) to try for a night.

As I have no room at home to try everything, Ive managed to get one of the pitches for one night Friday of next week before we go away the following Tuesday.
Hopefully,everything will work as it should.

If not.....get ready for some advice😂😂

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you Marsh Harrier.
I dont actually collect van until this Wednesday.
Then Friday evening will try it all out.
Fingers crossed.🤭
Will let you know how I get on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts