Compass 12 Volt Electrics

Aug 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi I'm looking at buying a 2001 Compass Aztec 600. Its in really good condition, with all the right bits, apart from the 12 volt electrics.

The present owner had a problem with the 12 volt charging unit. Rather than having the part replaced, he had a local electrician wire in a normal car battery charger.

Assuming this has been installed correctly, is it safe? Will it do the same job as the original bit? Or should I have it put back to the original standard?

Cheers Paul.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, yes it will be safe and this was a common arrangement before the days of inbuilt chargers.

If it were me I would not use it as a trickle charger but charge the battery and then switch the charger off. Every couple of days I would recharge the battery.

You may find that if you have a radio fitted that there is noise whilst the charger is on.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the charger has been installed correctly it should be safe but it DOESN'T do the same job as the original unit.

For many years caravans have been fitted with a power supply, technically different from a charger, usually with 10-20 amp continuous rating compared to a charger's continuous rating of 4-5 amps. In fact power supply fitment doesn't even need a battery in place although virtually all UK vans do have a battery.

If you use a lot of 12v equipment like lighting and tv, the charger may not be able to cope.

If the radio is a car type unit it should be able to suppress the interference ok, in a car it would have to cope with a high power alternator and 30,000 volts from the ignition system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts