Consultation on Increasingg Towing Width Allowed to 2.55m

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Released by the DfT on the 29th December, might help all those thinking of a Hobby etc ?

"This consultation invites comments on the attached proposed regulations amending the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. This proposal is a de-regulatory measure, to remove the restriction on the width of trailers towed by motor vehicles with a maximum Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) not exceeding 3500 kg."

Full details here :- http://www.dft.gov.u...s/open/2009-62/

Hope it helps some of us

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

And at the same time they are putting up signs saying vehicles over 6'-6" are not allowed - endorsable if you transgress.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't have anything to do with the announcement that Roma Caravans will be exhibiting at the NEC in February would it? These are the type of vans used by the group of caravanner who we are not allowed to mention. I suppose they could always rename the show as the Boat, Caravan and Horse Fair.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Still interesting to note that the caveat about the caravan sides not being more than 12 inches wider than the car is not being removed. Also no planned harmonisation of lengths either so the longer Swedish and Netherlands built vans remain illegal as well. If I were a cynic I would say it's only to appease our EU cousins whilst keeping it all technically illegal.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I can't quite see the logic of your argument about appeasing EU cousins, Dominic. Why should one try to maintain a law that makes absolutely no sense just for the sake of wanting to remain different? The law would make sense if it applied to all vehicles without exception, but that is not the case. One could then argue that UK roads are simply not suitable for 2.55 metre wide vehicles. But as 2.55 metre wide trucks are legally able to negotiate the roads, why should not caravans, too? And what has the weight of the towcar got to do with the width of the caravan? It is absolutely absurd to link the weight of the towcar with the width of the caravan.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Lutz you are now realising what makes our civil servants tick, did you not know they all work for the ministry of confusion, until you realise that you will never understand them.

Our civil servants taught Brussels the art of bureaucracy.

Watch yes minister, you don't know how true that was.

NigelH.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
When was the last time you heard of "anyone" being stopped for towing a Hobby etc by the police, stop worrying, for gods sake just buy it, use it, and enjoy.

Jeff.

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
When was the last time you heard of "anyone" being stopped for towing a Hobby etc by the police, stop worrying, for gods sake just buy it, use it, and enjoy.

Jeff.
Hi, we thought about getting a Hobby twin axle a while back.

I was aware of the width issue so this put me off,as a matter of interest i phoned our local traffic police H.Q and asked if there was a difference in caravan towing widths.

After speaking to 4 different officers who didnt know i was told to contact D.V.L.A.

I would imagine the VOSA inspectors who do the roadside checks will know,not to mention your insurrance company who always look at ways of avoiding paying a clain.

Duncan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts