Cornwall dilema

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again.....I have thought about Pembrokeshire as I love South Wales. My Dad lived there until he passed away a fortnight ago. I have many fond memories of spending childhood holidays on the Gower coast in particular. Last Aug we stayed a few nights at Pembrey country park site and the beach was amazing. Do people have any good recommendations for sites and generally how does the weather compare to Cornwall etc ( I know this is pretty difficult to say/predict!!) Thanks

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I think it's hitty missy as they say wherever you may go , we went to Cornwall for the first time a few years ago , factory fortnight last week in July first week in August and we got I think 10 days out of 12 rain and fog :( for many years I have seen people go down and hear of people going down and coming back the colour as if they had been away abroad for a fortnight ..... that didn't happen to us and as you know I love my sun B)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
jallin said:
Thanks again.....I have thought about Pembrokeshire as I love South Wales. My Dad lived there until he passed away a fortnight ago. I have many fond memories of spending childhood holidays on the Gower coast in particular. Last Aug we stayed a few nights at Pembrey country park site and the beach was amazing. Do people have any good recommendations for sites and generally how does the weather compare to Cornwall etc ( I know this is pretty difficult to say/predict!!) Thanks

We like CMHC Freshwater East with the beach five minutes away, and pub up the hill. Weather much same as Cornwall. Barafundle beach is a nice cliff top walk as you can't get to it by car.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry know I'm going initially off topic: Having the opportunity of a job.... and at the time one to return to if didn't work out in the first year, Jo, with our then 18 month old daughter, our dog and I (listed in order of seniority) moved from Birmingham to Cornwall in 2000: I'd been there just once as a child and enjoyed a sunny week, Jo had been to various parts of Devon, we figured at worst it would be an adventure, hopefully though a nice place to raise our daughter ....in reality: we haven't looked back: but it does rain A LOT! Every single county throughout our Isles has beautiful and interesting places to see and visit We have and hopefully will again enjoy holidays abroad, but the UK has so much! Bias as I am, Cornwall geographically is a large county with a low resident population: if traveling a distance down I might recommend rather than staying at just one site, touring around a couple of nights at a time. We stayed last weekend at Pine Green Valley, quite local to us and an absolute gem! very highly recommended! not near the beach but has the most stunning valley views, not large and run by the nicest people you could meet, within a short drive of plenty of escapes including some of the most attractive parts Bodmin Moor for walks and sights........ and about 15 minutes walk from a really cracking dog friendly pub with good real ales (the Highwayman) Best wishes, Wayne

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thingy said:
If you think Cornwall is wet, try the SW of Ireland!

Its on my list to do. Ring of Kerry etc looks quite stunning.

We went to Ireland three years ago but did not take the caravan. Stayed in a cottage at Glenbeigh on Ring of Kerry. Caravan site by the coast in the village. The Ring is okay but lots of tourist coaches so we tended to cut inland into the mountains. Our second cottage was to the west of Galway. A much better area to explore both for the coast and inland.
My avatar is the dogs looking towards sunrise over Galway Bay. Our cottage was 50 m from the beach an old thatched homestead.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Both in similar areas both lovely, but if you need supermarkets there a long drive back. Tregarton probably has the best for dog friendly beeches, Porthluney ( Caerhays), Port Holland, Hemmick all closeby. if you go to the Roseland consider Merrose Farm CAMC site.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
if you go to the Roseland consider Merrose Farm CAMC site.

Aye, consider it, then book Trethem. Far superior in my estimation, been to both in the last three years.

I agree Porthluney is a decent beach, but we much prefer Carne Beach. Its quieter, bigger and also has decent parking, albeit National Trust. Parking also good at Porthluney.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi thingy
I think I am favouring Tretham because I love hedged pitches and although places like Merrose look lovely they are more open. Do you know if dogs are allowed on any of the beaches mentioned all year round? We went to Devon last year and so many beaches said they did allow dogs on their websites etc and then when we got there they weren't in summer or had to be on leads, We also struggled to find those long open stretches of beach. thanks

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Pendower Beach allows dogs all year round, which is one of the nearest to Trethem. Dogs are also allowed on Carne Beach which is NT and a good swimming beach. Neither are crowded, Im not sure about Porthluney, as it appears it may be privately owned. At low tide, Pendower and Carne become one long beach.

https://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/austell-riviera/carne.htm
The pitches at Trethem are incredibly good. There are good pitches at Merrose and some awful ones, and its pot luck there. At Trethem, every pitch has its own picnic table, and the facilities are far above caravan club standards. Trethem also has a fabulous dog walk, football field well away from the caravans, and a good playground. Bikes and scooters etc are not allowed on the park.

For dogs, you may find the following usesfull.
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/animal-welfare/dog-welfare-and-enforcement-service/controlling-your-dog-in-public/dogs-on-beaches/

For beaches in general see
https://www.visitcornwall.com/beaches
https://www.cornwall-beaches.co.uk/ Better link

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Think I'm going to book. We want a serviced pitch and I would prefer not to have any pitch directly opposite. Makes me sound really sociable... :) ..do you have any recommendations for pitch choice so I can request when I book? Thanks again

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, all the pitches are serviced as relates to hookup, and some are fully serviced. All the pitches are level, though the site itself slopes. Pitches 65 and 66 are FS and not overlooked at the front. Similar 54 -57. 75 too. It is an uphill walk to the toilet block from all of these, so not knowing your age and condition, I thought that worth a mention. Pitches 45 to 48 are FS and close to all the amenities, and although overlooked at the front, they are some way apart and much higher than those overlooking the front if that makes sense. Pitches 7 to 58 are grass pitches, and again, although overlooked, the site has a very open aspect and those pitches are set a long way back in most cases.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi All
Just an update - so I have been searching coastal areas of the UK following advice but couldn't find a site I liked the look of as much as Tregarton and Trethem Mill, I have booked Tregarton for next Jul/Aug mainly because you were able to pick your specific pitch. Really looking forward to it even though it's not exactly soon!! Plenty of nights away before them to be had me thinks....Thanks for your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts