Cost of Rescue

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Just watching BBC news. Multi million pound helicopters and their pilots, costing many hundreds of £'s per hour to fly and also putting the crews at risk, having to rescue the idiots who set off into the mountains in appalling weather conditions, often poorly equipped, and if they are poorly equipped they are obviously equally inexperienced, for a "bit of fun". I'm not against rescuing the fools but once rescued they should at least be charged the cost of the rescue, shouldn't they?

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Totally agree or some part to it.
Totally agree. Same should apply to those taking part in dangerous sports. Where water activities are concerned and where people rescued have not provided themselves with adequate safety equipment. They should all have adequate insurance to the cover the cost of rescue and treatment.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Agree with John's comments. Insurance should be compulsary. Make em pay. After all you wouldn't take your caravan anywhere without insurance. Would you ?????

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
totally agree

Not sure if I've understood this right but can the NHS charge your insurer if you are in an accident and at fault.

I remember getting something when I was knocked of my motorbike 15 years ago and I had to give the accident details and insurance details so they could submit costs.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The A&E department only charge for traffic accidents because you can claim the charge back off your insurance. People used to think it was the charge for the ambulance which it wasn't.

There's no charge for any other accident.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Another point is visitors to the country having NHS treatment.

My wifes penfriend from Sydney was over here staying with us for a month back in the 90s. She slipped and broke her tib & fib and was in plaster for most of the time she was here. When she went home she was given her notes plus x-rays to take home with her. She never paid a sou or wasn't asked for any insurance details. Would we get the same treatment in OZ without paying???

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Last year my cousin came over from Australia. Within a few days developed an ear infection. Managed to get an appointment with family Drs he had to attend twice and on both occasions he was made to pay for consultation and prescribed drugs. Maybe at last the UK are tightening up. My cousin had taken out private health care before leaving Australia.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Lord B,

No, I don't think you would get the same level of treatment in OZ free, neither would visitors to the UK if the NHS was even semi-competent in billing those who should pay for treatment.

I'm in the French system & as such have a French issued EHIC, I had to visit hospital in the UK for a minor injury & was told to give a UK address as they couldn't be bothered with the paperwork.

The argument against charging for rescues is that if someone in trouble knew they would have to pay, they may wait before calling the emergency services, by which time conditions may have deteriorated even further which may then put the emergency services in even greater danger.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

My son hurt his leg playing football in Oz. To quote the doctor....

"People don't walk in here with broken legs. Take paracetamol. That wil be $90".

Eventually, he found his medical insurance, and now has two titanium screws holding his tibia together.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
I may be ignorant to what goes on with regards to walking. Surely there should be some sort of lodge near these walks, where you would register the fact that you are walking, and at the same time produce an insurance certificate. no certificate no walk.

Also when we were in Switzerland a couple of years ago we were up some mountain somewhere where people were paracending. Before they were allowed to jump their equipment was checked by qualified staff. Only after that were they allowed to jump.

Is it poss to put in place a network of these guide huts.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Over the past week we have watched people young and old walk off up the Malvern Hills which are in itself not dangerous but with snow over a foot deep in area, they will not see a gully until the fall into it and break their ankle. Most of the time the hills have been covered in mist making locating any one lost difficult. I agree that people who go walkies poorly equipped should be charge the full whack for search & rescuse as they are putting other people's lives at stake.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I disagree. With the practicalities (although agree with the sentiment)

My wife and I regularly go fell walking in the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales. We are always well equipped and would never set off without checking weather conditions first.

The problem with high level fell walking is that the conditions can change in an instant - often just due to localised anomalies, and it is here that many people are caught out, and need to be rescued.

Whilst walking on Snowdon last year we watched a full rescue take place in brilliant sunshine on a windless day. Someone had fallen off a small cliff and broken their leg. There is no way I would have walked in the area that they had done, but who am I to say whether they were within their limits, and simply just had bad luck or a moments lapse of concentration?

Of course, there are total idiots who set off up onto the high fells in training shoes and 'pac a macs' on days when no sensible person would do. It is right to condemn them and give their lunacy all the publicity it deserves. But to charge people for being rescued? - I don't think so.

Personally, as a keen walker I contribute to the local Mountain rescue teams whenever I can. The start and finish points of many walks have donation boxes for this purpose. It doesn't cover their costs, but they keep going somehow - mostly through dedication, a love of the hills etc and a willingness to provide their services.

If people were charged for rescues how would the determination of 'fault' be arrived at? Getting yourself in the do da in the great outdoors is a 'moveable feast' - too old, too fat, too stupid - what's the criterion? Therein lays the problem.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
The rescues carried out by the RAF are all part of the training for going to the adid of crashed Jets. Same as the RAF Mountain Rescue Teams. They are a public service paid for by the Tax Payer, be careful of what you wish for. Your out walking and slip on the pavement (your fault worn out shoes)should you pay for the Ambulance which is what the Helicopter is in the Moubtain Rescue situation.

Oh and should we start to charge for Yatchmen who require rescuing !!! The list could go on and on. Everyone should have Insurance ?? Is that what is being advocated here ?? Only a couple of steps away from the American Health care model.

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Actually Gumbo - Mountain rescue is usually privately funded - donations and the like. They dont even get tax relief. However, this does not change the spirit of what you say.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Actually Gumbo - Mountain rescue is usually privately funded - donations and the like. They dont even get tax relief. However, this does not change the spirit of what you say.
I was only refering to the RAF Mountain Rescue Teams not voulnteer units

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts