Could a motor mover be the answer to our problem

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
Evening all,

At the moment our van is kept at a storage site just under 30 minutes drive away. What with hitching up it an hour round trip just to get the van back to house.

Not having the Van on the drive is making getting away for a short break a right pain in the backside.

Well this weekend I've had the measuring tape out and it looks like we can squeeze the van (7ft 6") down the side of the house with just 15 inches to spare!

Would a motor movers give me enough control and precision to squeeze the van into such a tight space? Just 7" each side!

Also how is the mover engaged, do I need to be able to get to the wheels. If so it's probable a show stopper as now amount of dieting will allow me to squeeze down between the house and the van.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Ps - the drive is gravel, would this make a difference.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gavin, a mover would allow you to place the van where you want to.

Control is extremely precise and the speed of movement is such that it wil not run away with you.

You normally need to be able to get to one side of the van to engage the movers if using a cross actuation bar, or you could go for the electric engagement which would remove that problem.

However, with all movers, there is the siting of the isolation switch and the associated wiring, but it would not be impossible.

Whilst you cannot mount the switch in the gas locker, it could be mounted underneath the van in a suitable position.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Damian on this one, the control is so precise you can put the van anywhere. It is the best thing I bought and would recommend one to anybody........
It's the best thing we bought in years, We now store our caravan in the back garden which is very tight space to get into. It used to take all my neighbours, but now just me and the remote.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
wow, fantastic, thanks for the replies and great they are so positive.

All I now need to worry about is blocking the street, spinning the van around and reversing it onto the drive.

Spent the last hour comparing makes, looks like powertouch are currently coming out top.

Thanks

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Gavin, I bought a faulty Carver motor mover and repaired/uprated the gearboxes, I have no complaints with it whatsoever. However please dont make your decision on my experience as I do believe the powertouch are as good if not better, and I am sure other owners will tell you that the customer service / aftersales from powertouch is excellent.

Chris.

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
I would reccommend Powrtouch everytime and don't forget they do Pricematch - they will match any price for an equivalent model - I got the HD model for

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Gavin

how precise do you want it to be, I keep my van in a garage at home inorder to negotiate from the front of the house into the garage I have to unhitch manouver the van down the side of the house in a gap 1ft wider than the van when past the wall do a 90 degree turn go forwards one van length do another 90 degree reverse turn then run into garage through the doors with 2in spare either side. without the mover this would be impossible it does take nerves of steel the first time but after that its childs play. one tip gleened from brian(st albands) is to have the remote orientated the same way round as the van. then there are no silly suprises when it goes left instead of right because you pressed the wrong button.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

If you are manouvering on gravel it may be a good idea to get a nosewheel with an inflatable tyre? The hard one on our van tends to dig in and makes the turning movements a bit jerky. I feel there may be more precision with an inflatable tyre. Someone else on this forum may have a better notion on this?

David

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I would advise that when you come out that you have previously turned the jockey wheel to its "trailing" direction. Whilst this will happen naturally when you change direction of movement it does swing the van and can cause problems.

I only have 1.5" side clearance in my car port and must do this pre-turning of the jockey wheel. So when I come in or go out I do it without any direction "shunting" so it cant swing. I also painted a guide line I track the jockey wheel along, but that's not possible on gravel.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
I would advise that when you come out that you have previously turned the jockey wheel to its "trailing" direction. Whilst this will happen naturally when you change direction of movement it does swing the van and can cause problems.

I only have 1.5" side clearance in my car port and must do this pre-turning of the jockey wheel. So when I come in or go out I do it without any direction "shunting" so it cant swing. I also painted a guide line I track the jockey wheel along, but that's not possible on gravel.
Thanks for the reply, thats a good tip.

How do you turn the jockey wheel around,I wont be able to get to the front steadies to drop them.

So with the van on gravel I'd imagine I'd have to life the front of the van up and quickly spin the jockey wheel around.

Thanks

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Two very good points there. I also make sure the jockey wheel is always trailing. If not, when it swivels round, it can move the van. My hard wheel also digs into some gravel i have. To overcome this, I drop a wooden board on the gravel section and the wheel goes over that.

One more point - wether its down to uneven tyre pressures, or terrain, or something else, with such tight clearances, it becomes apparent that the van doesnt always move 100% in a straight line. To overcome this, I stand at one corner of the van so I can see the clearance, and as I move the van with the mover, I hold the van handle to lightly guide it manually and prevent any wandering.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
You have bags of space to get your van in with a mover. We have used a Powertouch on last three vans and would highly recommend them. Soft start means very accurate manoeuvring. Most fitters put switch in battery box. We have far less room to manoeuvre than you quote and the move works a treat.

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
I agree with everyone here. You will have no problems with the space you describe. Just one thing though about the gravel drive, we found that moving the 'van over the gravel was no problem and still very precise. But, when we came to move the 'van after it had been standing on the gravel all week, sometimes the gravel chips became embedded in the tyres and jammed the motor mover. We got round this by parking the 'van on tyre savers so that the tyres aren't actually in contact with the gravel other than when it is moving. I hope I've described this so that you can understand what I'm on about.

Sophie

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gavin. You were worried about blocking the road. To get the van on our drive, we partially block a Tjunction. Fortunately it is not too busy, and with practice and motor actuated rolers; OH has the van unhitched, the mover on and the van off the road in under 5 minutes. In the meantime I direct the traffic and generally cheerful waving, smiling and thumbs up gratitude to other motorists has seen us through. Most drivers are interested in the remote control toy that the van has become!

mel

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
wow loads of positive comments.

Not so positive when I spoke to pwrtouch today, sound like the isolator switch needs to be in the battery comparment which I wont be able to get to that side of the van will just 7" from the boundary fence.

They suggest cutting hole in the battery box that can be accessed from inside the van. I just need to check the van can sit further enough forward on the drive so it clears the house so I can use the door, whilst ensuring it stays off the road/pavement.

Have to remember to bring the tape measure with me when we head out this weekend.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

I am very surprised that your dealer has suggested cutting a hole in your battery box, so you can gain access to an isolator switch from the inside of the caravan? The battery box is meant to be sealed to prevent the risk of an explosion from the hydrogen created during battery charging.

David

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fitting the isolator the opposite way around in the battery box is a definite no.

You could not have the actual switch mechanism in the same place as the battery for the reasons mentioned by David.

However, bearing in mind there may be issues with voltage drop, I can see no other reason why an extended positive cable cannot be run to a more accessable place for you.

It would be helpful to know where your battery box is located.

Powrtouch supply a ready terminated positive lead from the switch to the control box, which is quite short, but using 8mm cable to reduce voltage drop it should be possible to get to a usable soution for your needs.

Nov 13, 2007
Visit site
This doesnt sit with what pwrtouch and Reich have told me. Both say the isolator switch need to be location under the hook up point in the battery box.

Is this something to be concerned about. Both are suggesting if I cant get to the battery box, but can still get in the van the switch can be located under one of the front seats. Does this sound sensible.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gavin,

You have the same problems as my mate. We fitted a Trauma mover to his van. It has auto roller engagement from the hand controller, and we fitted the isolator switch in the front locker. As a safety factor it also requires the car power cable 12n/13pin to be fitted into a further isolating socket which we also fitted in the front locker.

It is very sensative and easy to manover. Not promoting Trauma but the setup seems right for you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts