Cover strips on Elddis caravans in particular.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there.
I wonder if anyone can tell me the method that is used to fix the cover strips that conceal the butt joints on the ceiling boards of a great many Elddis caravans?
My particular interest is in the ones that are covered in a matching vinyl to the ceiling boards.
Are they fitted with a spigot or tongue that pushes into a dedicated location or are they fitted on a mini press stud type fastening?
If it is neither of my suggestions then how are they secured in place?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think you will find a nylon strip stapled either side of the join. It has a channel along the centre into which a strip along the trim clips - rather like the sealer on the top of a sealable freezer bag. A small section of mine came unclipped in a roof locker - I clipped in at one end and eased the trim to clip together a bit at a time - again rather after the fashion of starting at one end with the zipppy bag! Perhaps another post will reveal whether during manudacture these are just tapped into place with a soft head mallet as the effort expended with two thumbs pressure is hard work!

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
audiorob said:
I think you will find a nylon strip stapled either side of the join. It has a channel along the centre into which a strip along the trim clips - rather like the sealer on the top of a sealable freezer bag. A small section of mine came unclipped in a roof locker - I clipped in at one end and eased the trim to clip together a bit at a time - again rather after the fashion of starting at one end with the zipppy bag! Perhaps another post will reveal whether during manudacture these are just tapped into place with a soft head mallet as the effort expended with two thumbs pressure is hard work!

Hi audiorob. I figured as much but did not want to go investigating with a blindfold over my eyes.
I am going to the storage in a day or so,I will investigate and confirm my findings.

Thank you.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
audiorob said:

Hi again audiorob. Well I have been and actually brought the caravan back to the bungalow after a rather hurried job of washing it down at our nearest drive in/under & covered BP Fuel Station car wash site.
The strips are the most unbelievable attempt at a job that I have ever seen. They are held in place by short brass coloured screws that are pushed into the gap between the ceiling boards and apparently rely on the threads to grip the edges of the boards. These same strips are covered with a vinyl that is stuck on with an adhesive that has well and truly failed to achieve a bond. As a result the vinyl has come away from the plastic/nylon strip and looks an absolute mess.
I will be replacing these some 20mm wide x 3mm thick strips of Pine with the edges removed and colour coded to the timber cabinetry in the caravan. The strips will be secured using some countersunk fine brass screws but they will be screwed in place and not just pushed in to the gaps.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there. Well - some of you may be aware from my post elsewhere on the forum that I have just recently collected my 2001 Elddis Crusader SuperSirocco after having had some extensive work carried out on it.
It went in for the cracked aluminium skin to be attended to and other work that was associated with an underlying issue.
The dreaded vinyl covered strips have been removed and replaced with a plain 'D' mould that blends into the ceiling board tones extremely well.
This little modification has made a vast difference to the eye upon entering the caravan and especially when turning into the front seating area - this was without doubt where the most affected strips were.
The whole caravan has been done from front to rear and although not a great cost in the overall scheme of the repairs - it is nevertheless the single most obvious improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts