Covid Astra Zenecca bad reactions

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just been reading the sad cases of adverse reactions since lock down. HMG are paying £120k for the injured. Sad🥲🥲

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just been reading the sad cases of adverse reactions since lock down. HMG are paying £120k for the injured. Sad🥲🥲
Sad yes, but in contrast it is estimated that the Astra Zeneca vaccine has saved 6 million lives world wide and for a long period was the only feasible vaccine in less well developed countries because it did not require super cooling and extra special handling. It will be interesting to see how successful the claimants are, given the comparison with the time taken to compensate the infected blood victims.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sad yes, but in contrast it is estimated that the Astra Zeneca vaccine has saved 6 million lives world wide and for a long period was the only feasible vaccine in less well developed countries because it did not require super cooling and extra special handling. It will be interesting to see how successful the claimants are, given the comparison with the time taken to compensate the infected blood victims.
Fully agree Clive. On the whole the lives saved is fantastic but sadly a handful weren’t so lucky. But then all drugs , aspirin etc , carry a risk. I’ve had two AZs no problem. Remember when some parents decided not to vaccinate against polio,etc. Us guys will remember some poor kids in callipers etc. I was surprised the HMG have already set up a compensation scheme?

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As with any other drug or vaccine there will always be a risk, however small, that some people react badly to it. It is therefore only right and proper that there is always a compensation scheme for those who are negatively affected.
I personally fell under intensive care following my second Covid vaccination. Although it was quite an ordeal I recovered relatively quickly without any lasting side-effects and I only have to see a cardiologist regularly for follow-up checks, so I refrained from trying to claim for any compensation, but I will certainly not risk having any further vaccinations.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Fully agree Clive. On the whole the lives saved is fantastic but sadly a handful weren’t so lucky. But then all drugs , aspirin etc , carry a risk. I’ve had two AZs no problem. Remember when some parents decided not to vaccinate against polio,etc. Us guys will remember some poor kids in callipers etc. I was surprised the HMG have already set up a compensation scheme?
Sadly we think our eldest daughter was one of them as she passed away with a brain hemorrhage within 2 weeks of having the injection.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Sadly we think our eldest daughter was one of them as she passed away with a brain hemorrhage within 2 weeks of having the injection.
That's so sad, really sorry to hear it.

Sister-in-law suffered hearing loss in one ear after the jab and a work colleague developed sudden onset osteoarthritis. He went from being a fit and healthy marshal arts instructor to being unable to hold a spanner in the space of a fortnight. Fortunately he's got it under control with medication but it took a good 12 months.

I don't know many people who are still having the boosters. I worked in a team of 7 during the pandemic. 5 of us went down with covid at the same time (2 caught it a few months earlier), the two who suffered most were vaccinated. As far as I know they declined further boosters.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I came down with PolyMyalgia Rhumatica , after the first booster, of AS, taken over two year to get a grip with Steroids,
Mrs H, contracted an Excma type problem, but she had COPD, so is still willing to have the booster, myself I am not convinced to carry on with them at the moment.
I still think they were the best thing for the British population.
I have had 5 jags, with no side effects, except the PMR, I wonder if the full blown bad reactions are high lightened and accelerated, by the vaccine. .

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's so sad, really sorry to hear it.

Sister-in-law suffered hearing loss in one ear after the jab and a work colleague developed sudden onset osteoarthritis. He went from being a fit and healthy marshal arts instructor to being unable to hold a spanner in the space of a fortnight. Fortunately he's got it under control with medication but it took a good 12 months.

I don't know many people who are still having the boosters. I worked in a team of 7 during the pandemic. 5 of us went down with covid at the same time (2 caught it a few months earlier), the two who suffered most were vaccinated. As far as I know they declined further boosters.
I’ve had the boosters and had no adverse effects, likewise my wife too.. But I did catch covid last year, but the symptoms were akin to a cold for a couple of days, with lack of energy for two weeks afterwards.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's difficult to rationalise the benefits or negatives of vaccines, especially with covid, becasue there are so many varied symptoms, and both the infectiousness and the effects of each mutation is so variable. A bit like jugging with jelly.

One fact which is often overlooked, is that none of the approved vaccines was claimed to prevent covid infection, but their efficacy was in reducing the worst effects of the viral infection. As a consequence whilst laterly many people may have reported testing positive for Covid the number of infected people who only reported mild symptoms could well have been as a result of previous vaccinations or exposure to some strain of Covid.

Unfortunately just as we see with Flu (which is also a viral infection) both virus mutates and may circumvent some of the protections provided by an older vaccine. This might mean even a vaccinated person might get severe or even fatally infected.

Most viral vaccinations can only be evaluated accurately both for effectiveness and side effects over many thousands of subject reactions. There might be statistical evidence of some particular side effects, but these are often difficult to prove , becasue unless there are detailed tests carried out on suspected side effect victims, it could well prove a reported side effect might not have been caused by some other factor such as pre existing propensity , rather than the vaccination.

Whilst there may be genuine case where the Covid vaccine has caused a serious side effect, as a percentage of those receiving a vaccine the incidence is incredibly low. I am not trying to imply that such cases can be forgotten, far from it, they should be thoroughly investigated to see what lessons could be learned from to improve the vaccine or the pre screening.

However I suspect the vaccine programme may have prevented many millions of people across the world from having far worse symptoms or even fatalities, which has made the programmes very worth while.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve had all mine only the first was AZ. No reactions at all . As said earlier sadly there will always be anomalies to any drug but overall the majority should benefit, Today is Shingles jab. I see no reason not to have it🤞🤞

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another aspect of most vaccinations which can be often overlooked, is the way vaccines work which is to expose your body to some form of agent that resembles some key components of the infection, in the hope it will stimulate your immune system into a response and prime it ready to recognise and able to defend against the real virus should you become infected.

Your bodies response to the vaccine is effectively to attack it as if it's an invader, so it's quite likely you will develop symptoms such as raised temperature, and other fever like effects which is the bodies natural way of mounting an attack/defence on an invader. These are side effects, but usually far less serious than the real virus, and for most a small price to pay for the overall benefit it brings.

There are other benefits to the community as a whole, most viruses have means of spreading which rely on there being lots of convenient hosts in a population. This means it's easier to find the next recipient who can become infected, and after a while of incubating, multiplying and possibly mutating becoming a new spreading agent for the virus.

By vaccinating as much of the population as possible, the virus may still catch almost as many recipients, but those who have been vaccinated should have fewer serious symptoms, and reduce the scale of incubation and mutation and future spread. This reduces the spread risks, and the speed of mutation in the population.

Obviously government's and healthcare providers like this approach as it's usually has the lowest heath care cost burden. It also has a track record of success with for example smallpox, and some other devastating diseases.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Most vaccines are normally tested for several years before being released to the public. In this case due to numerous constraints, the vaccine was released probably within less than a year and probably was not fully tested, but seem to work to a degree.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The AZ vaccine has acquired a “ bad press” but how much was media driven, and fortunately alternatives with a reduced risk became available. But the risk of the AZ was still very low and within the norms of approval.

The MHRA calculated that 20% of those hospitalised ( unvaccinated) with Covid in UK had blood clots or were at risk of blood clots. I couldn’t find figures for how the 20% was broken down into age groups. But clearly the decision to restrict its use in younger age groups was necessary particularly since alternatives were available.

“According to the European Medicines Agency as of 4 April 2021, a total of 222 cases of extremely rare blood clots had been recorded among 34 million people who had been vaccinated in the European Economic Area (a percentage of 0.0007%).[43]” ……..this is relating to AZ vaccine.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
By vaccinating as much of the population as possible, the virus may still catch almost as many recipients, but those who have been vaccinated should have fewer serious symptoms, and reduce the scale of incubation and mutation and future spread. This reduces the spread risks, and the speed of mutation in the population.
Let's assume that the vaccine actually did what it was claimed to, i.e. reduce the symptoms. People who would have had mild symptoms without the vaccine had virtually no symptoms because of it, so they didn't test and didn't isolate but merrily went about spreading covid.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Let's assume that the vaccine actually did what it was claimed to, i.e. reduce the symptoms. People who would have had mild symptoms without the vaccine had virtually no symptoms because of it, so they didn't test and didn't isolate but merrily went about spreading covid.
I think the oro vaccine and anti vaccine proponents will never agree. This was debated ad infinitum during the pandemic. I just accept that it’s a personal choice.

Reactions: Beardy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts