CRA 2015 conundrum?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were looking around for a mattress to replace the mattress in our 2018 caravan. We came across a well known website that dealt specifically with caravan mattresses and bedding.

You had two options. One was for inputting all the details of the year, make and model of caravan and the other to select a mattress. Rather than get it wrong we chose the input all the details of the caravan and this took us through to the various options for mattress i.e. memory foam, pocket sprung etc. The website stated that the company had all the specific dimensions for the mattress in our caravan.

I then completed all the necessary and placed an order. However a thought struck me and I inquired whether the mattress had a bolster like the mattress in the caravan. I was then told that the bolster was £100 extra and taking the price to just shy of £800 before delivery costs for a 1000 pocket sprung mattress with memory foam! I refused to go ahead with the order as felt that the website was misleading.

If we had gone ahead with the order and the custom made mattress had arrived as a one piece without the bolster, although custom made I feel sure that we would have been able to reject it as it was not a replacement like for like mattress for our caravan as the order stated 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser mattress.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have never seen a bolster that was physically attached to a mattress, and therefore it would be considered to be a separate part. As such in ordering "a mattress" you are not ordering a bolster as well.

As this was a made to order item and not a stocked item, the company on accepting your order should have supplied you with the confirmation of the items in the schedule and their identify to enable the purchase to verify the details, and made clear the rights or otherwise to cancel.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have never seen a bolster that was physically attached to a mattress, and therefore it would be considered to be a separate part. As such in ordering "a mattress" you are not ordering a bolster as well.

As this was a made to order item and not a stocked item, the company on accepting your order should have supplied you with the confirmation of the items in the schedule and their identify to enable the purchase to verify the details, and made clear the rights or otherwise to cancel.
Thank for verifying my thoughts about CRA 2015. However our 2011 Lunar Delta, 2016 & 2018 Cruiser all have the bolster attached to the mattress so that it can fold over and the bed pushed back to give more space at the bottom during the day. You cannot separate the two.
Standard the bolster is part of the mattress therefore when advertising a mattress specifically for a 2018 Buccaneer it should be the same and have the bolster as standard.
Order was cancelled and we have found the same mattress with 1500 pocket springs plus memory foam at Linthorpes for over £160 less plus a 6 year warranty instead of 3 year warranty.
Just to add as per your last paragraph that they do identify the mattress at the checkout section as being one for a 2018 Buccaneer, but omit that the bolster is not included and there is no option to include it.
Tricky wording I guess, but more importantly there is no mention of your rights that I could see at the time even when you read the T&Cs. This is a company well known to many of us. We have previously bought fitted sheets from them and the quality was excellent hence deciding to use them for the mattress.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank for verifying my thoughts about CRA 2015. However our 2011 Lunar Delta, 2016 & 2018 Cruiser all have the bolster attached to the mattress so that it can fold over and the bed pushed back to give more space at the bottom during the day. You cannot separate the two.
Standard the bolster is part of the mattress therefore when advertising a mattress specifically for a 2018 Buccaneer it should be the same and have the bolster as standard.
Order was cancelled and we have found the same mattress with 1500 pocket springs plus memory foam at Linthorpes for over £160 less plus a 6 year warranty instead of 3 year warranty.
Just to add as per your last paragraph that they do identify the mattress at the checkout section as being one for a 2018 Buccaneer, but omit that the bolster is not included and there is no option to include it.
Tricky wording I guess, but more importantly there is no mention of your rights that I could see at the time even when you read the T&Cs. This is a company well known to many of us. We have previously bought fitted sheets from them and the quality was excellent hence deciding to use them for the mattress.
Your rights are embodied in various elements of UK consumer law and their TandCs cannot negate those rights. Online and distance selling are well protected.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts