Crack in GRP

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Noticed a small crack has developed on a slight damaged area under the rear light cluster. The damaged area was there when we got the van (Small indentation), but the crack was not? How can I stop this crack getting any bigger and what repair action should I take?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you drill a small hole at the end of the crack it will stop the split spreading( it worked on our shower tray in 3 places!)

You could fill with Isopon or similar filler and spray with matching paint if it shows or stick a reflector or GB sticker over it if its in a suitable place.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Absolutely agree with drilling a small hole to stop the crack spreading, the hole releases all the stresses at the leading edge of the crack.

Can you easily get to the back of the crack? If you can, they some GRP resin and some random (chopped) glass mat will make a very strong repair. You can buy this stuff from Halfords.

Clean the area on the back of the panel, roughen with some 100 grit paper, clean again.

Then paint on a layer or resin, lay on a layer of mat, then with the paint brush, push the mat hard against the panel with a stippling motion. Repeat with another layer of mat.

If the crack is larger than the pieces of mat, doesn't matter, just overlap pieces of mat.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As everyone has said, drilling a small hole at both ends of the crack will stop it spreading. However, don't attempt to repair the crack with filler & paint unless you are confident with car body repair. I've seen numerours "repairs" on cars and caravans which have actually ended up looking worse than the original damage!!! Filling the crack with clear silicone will keep the moisture out (smooth it out with a damp rag to keep it neat).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the info. The crack is only small but I will drill a hole to save it getting any worse. I was tinking of using someone like chips away to repair the damage? The dent is only small (and was already on the van) this did not worry me, but now it has cracked (maybe due to towing stresses) caused me some concern. The van is only a year old so don't want to bodge it myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts