Cracked end panels.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was at my caravan storage site today in order to remove the caravan number plate prior to fitting a new one. Whilst the sticky stuff remover was working a had a look at the caravan next door. It was quite a new Eldiss Xplore 504. To my surprise the top corner of the nearside rear panel had a clearly visible six inch (approx) horizontal crack running front to back. I then looked at the offside and saw the same again. The owner is not going to be too happy when they put it in for its next damp test so I dropped a note with the site office.

But just out of curiosity I wandered around a bit and saw four more vans of different makes with cracks visible from the ground. None of the caravans were particularly old. As my old NaN would say “ It’s not good enough”

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I went to the caravan this week to change the number plate and it was just impossible to remove it I suppose if I had applied some. heat if might of come away so rather than doing any damage I stuck the new number plate on top of the old one, I hope this is legal,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I went to the caravan this week to change the number plate and it was just impossible to remove it I suppose if I had applied some. heat if might of come away so rather than doing any damage I stuck the new number plate on top of the old one, I hope this is legal,

I use Sticky stuff remover squirted from the top. The dental floss kept breaking as not enough clearance. But Mrs OCs plastic fish slice worked a treat.
I will put the new plate on the caravan when I bring it home as I can then use a hairdryer on the panel and a gel pad on the plate to ensure good adhesion should the weather be cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Had same problem, when I changed my plate when my motor was written off, couldn't get the old one off , stuck new one on top.
Can't see any difference.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Try some fishing line or picture hanging wire. Hold both ends wriggle it behind the plate and work along with a sawing motion. no problem sticking it on top tho!

Reactions: DaveA1
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be a common problem. Know several people who have had the crack problem. Word is that some manufacturers won’t cover them under warranty.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems to be a common problem. Know several people who have had the crack problem. Word is that some manufacturers won’t cover them under warranty.

I've had three. Front and rear on a Bailey S5 Pageant Bordeaux and rear on Sprite Musketeer. All replaced under warranty................fortunately for my bank balance.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had a rear panel on the top left that had a crack, Coachman had it back under warranty reckoned it was fitting the awning rail without pre drilling.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had a rear panel on the top left that had a crack, Coachman had it back under warranty reckoned it was fitting the awning rail without pre drilling.

The two panels that cracked on my Bailey S5 were down to poor production technique leading to over tightened fastenings. Once they were replaced in years 2 and 3 I kept the van until year 9 and it was problem free. Probably the best van overall I’ve had.

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the manufacturer won't sort it out, then you may have recourse to your dealer of finance house under the Consumer Rights Act.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Quite right. A panel should not crack and if it does it would be almost impossible to say it was not defective given the number of these reported, and what now appears to be the answer, not drilling the screw holes correctly.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Quite right. A panel should not crack and if it does it would be almost impossible to say it was not defective given the number of these reported, and what now appears to be the answer, not drilling the screw holes correctly.

I also think that there is an issue with flexure. Increasingly over the last 10 years caravan bodies have become structurally stiffer with new construction techniques to counter water ingress and to give better insulation. But the large flimsy ABS panel sited at the back must be subject to flexure which I am sure accounts for cracking. My 2005 Bailey had cracks across its panels caused by manufacturing deficiencies re the screw fastenings. But my Swifts cracks were in the very top stiffened offside corner section of the abs rear panel. The Xplore that I saw yesterday had them in an identical spot but on both nearside and offside top corners. I think there is a significant design deficiency.

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
My 2013 Elddis avante is currently awaiting repair of a cracked roof panel.
When we bought it 15 months ago the dealer made no mention of any known issues with Solid construction and although there have been several issues with ours, the fridge had to be replaced then the heating broke, we love the van and hope the damp issue pointed out at it's annual service is rectified once the crack is repaired.
Luckily I had the service done a month early and insisted they check everything covered by the warranty to ensure we had no surprise bill's and that's when they found 40% damp readings in the wardrobe area below a crack in the roof.
Strangely there is no staining anywhere and no smell either but have left it in their hands to fix it in conjunction with Elddis.
Have to say the dealer has been excellent so far but we've been unable to use the van since October 2019 just in case it got worse.
Strange how you can find so much information about what seems to be a widely known problem once you experience it yourself!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid dealers will not tell you anything about cracks or leaks on any make unless you ask. They have no duty to do so and it is not in their interests.
I would not worry about using it as any further damp will spread the same if it is on site or stored. The real problem is that the longer it is left, the worse it could get. I would be chasing up the dealer and hopefully booking it in even if provisionally, as they get very busy this time of year.
I do wonder about the manufacturers attitude to this problem as the delay can only mean the problem gets worse meaning more repair and more cost to them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am afraid dealers will not tell you anything about cracks or leaks on any make unless you ask. They have no duty to do so and it is not in their interests.
I would not worry about using it as any further damp will spread the same if it is on site or stored. The real problem is that the longer it is left, the worse it could get. I would be chasing up the dealer and hopefully booking it in even if provisionally, as they get very busy this time of year.
I do wonder about the manufacturers attitude to this problem as the delay can only mean the problem gets worse meaning more repair and more cost to them.
When my end panel crack was discovered the dealer sealed the area with a weatherproof tape until the new end panel had been delivered. That took 4-5 months.

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Gaffer Tape, covered a crack I had for three months. Did show very slight damp, in fact, got better with the tape in place, sealed lovely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts