Cracked front grp panel

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi, we have an Abbey aventura which is a 2004 model, had it from new with no real problems to speak of. Yesterday whilst polishing it ready for the w/e away I noticed by the hinge of the front locker quite a few tiny hairline cracks. Is this anything to worry about?

The dealer is very good however I havent spoken to them about this yet.

I have read the problems with the Avondale fronts and wondered if this problem is similar.

Is it eay to repair if the dealer wants to do that or should I insist on a new front end as it is still under warrentee?

Kevin H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
if its glass fibre it can be repaired,but if it is grp it can't or should i say much more difficult.they will change the whole panel usually if its grp.either way it must be done,otherwise the cracks will spread and open,allowing water to ingress.have the same problem with my avondale osprey(2004).

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Kevin,

You need to get the cracks investigated and then most probably repaired.

Hairline cracks in a plastic material indicate that undue force and stress has been (or is still being) applied to the structure - it could be that the panel was stressed when the van was assembled, or you've had a load of stone impacts causing the cracking, or some other on-going stressing of the panel.

Caravan body panels are either aluminium, thin GRP sheet, moulded GRP (thicker than GRP sheet), or Acrylic-capped ABS

Fibre-glass and GRP are the same material - a polyester resin based product that uses woven or chopped glass mat to provide structural reinforcement.

I believe it was Abbey in the mid 90's that pioneered the use of thin GRP body panels, rather than the traditional aluminium panels. The advantage of this GRP material is that it can be repaired using conventional car bodywork fillers.

Likewise thicker GRP mouldings - like your front panel - can also be repaired with the same car bodywork fillers. Most cracks in this thicker GRP material only extend into the top Gel-coat layer of the resin (it's the first layer of resin before they start adding the glass reinforcement) and the body of the GRP is still intact.

Acrylic capped ABS is more difficult - plastic car bumpers are made of this material - which uses the acrylic cap to give a smooth finish to the matt ABS. Things made with capped ABS - like some caravan wheel spats - are much more difficult to repair - it's usually a replacement panel.

Your front panel:

It is most likely a thick GRP moulding that can be successfully repaired with car bodywork polyester resin.

The hairline cracks will most probably only be in the "clear" Gel-coat and the repair will be as strong as the original panel.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
yes you are right,guy should have said abs acrylic capped,which is very difficult to repair and panel change is best option.grp and fibreglas are made of same basic compound and are repairable.sorry for the misleading ifo,wrongly informed

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your replies guys, Ill get the van up to the dealers next w/e, when I find out what they intend to to I will let you know

Kevin H

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Kevin

I had the very same problem with my Abbey Cardinal (Aventura dealer special), with cracks starting at the corner of the front locker at only 3 months old. I reported this straight away but only got a bodge job initially. By 6 months old the cracks had re-appeard and also over 30 cracks above the front windows. I insisted that the front be changed and after an inspection by Abbey and a further 3 months a new front panel was fitted. Dont mess about with the dealer, insist on a new front panel, the cracks will only get worse. On the positive side, the new panel was fitted by the dealer, not Abbey and they did a very good job, with no further cracking seen at 12 months on. It sounds drastic but you have to look very close to see that a new panel has been fitted and there was no damage internally. Good luck. PS, Mine was a 2004 model also.

Alan

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Alan, thanks for letting me know about your experience, that was very interesting. I shall be keeping that one in hand if the dealer wants to repair.

I will not be happy if that is the case but well have to wait and see.

I had a cracked shower tray from almost day 1 which was replaced (they said it was a bad batch of showers) thats all ok now

Will update you when I have an answer

Kevin H

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Klarky,

Aside from our Eriba caravan, I still have a 1970's 15 metre standard class Libelle glider - which was one of the first constructed from GRP - and I'm really glad I'm qualified to do GRP repairs as the costs keep on rising.

A new set of winglets for the Libelle (the type that swoop up like those on long distance airliners) are priced at Euro 1900 a pair. Not bad for a piece of GRP that will fit in a Tesco plastic bag.

So yes, GRP and fibre-glass are two names for the same resin material.

And I've been told that there is now a repair kit out for Acrylic capped ABS but it requires special operator training.

Robert

Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kevin,

Similar problem! I had an Abbey 'Freestyle' 2001 edition(Special edition of the Aventura)from new and after about a year and half the front GRP panel began to crack. I took it to the dealer who arranged a temporary repair then put in a warranty claim with Abbey for a new panel. It was a while to wait but the replacement was duly fitted at no cost to me.

If your dealer is reputable and values both your custom and its reputation, then I'm sure you will be as successful, but don't let them fob you off...it appears to be a common fault!!

Good luck.

Carol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts