Cracked panels again!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My friend's Bailey Series 5 Pageant Vendee has just been serviced with a note to say the rear ABS panel is cracked as a result of a manufacturing defect. It will be changed under warranty in July. The front panel was changed last year, same problem.

A number of Swift GRP panels , I know of have also failed.

My main concern is can I now continue with my intention of retaining my Bailey Senator after the 6 year warranty expires?

I know various theories have been put forward on causation but I'd like to know from ALL the manufacturers if these failures were / are random or restricted to specific batches?

Technically can I feel confident that if an ABS panel hasn't failed after 6 years , then it never will??

Cheers

Dustydog

May 21, 2008
Visit site
No, I have just found 2 small cracks on the rear panel on my 2004 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux, unfortunatley now out of warranty.They appeared over winter.

I own a 2003 avondale dart,I have already had the rear panel changed due to stress cracks,at 2 years old, I have now got 2 new stress cracks in front panel, also am starting to get cracks in rear panel again and it is only 5 years old,reason for the first panel was bad fitting at factory but surely not now,any ideas sarah

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Dusty

I view this site occasionally to see whats happening with reliability of the new vans and I note you have always commented well of Bailey's, are you now having second thoughts?

Very surprised that anyone would trust Bailey with a new construction method in the Pegusis models when they dont seem to get the old construction methods/materials right according to the vast amount of postings on the issues.

Has anyone got an issue with cracked panels on newish Coachman caravans, my 2008 Amara is faultless and damp free so far.

I will keep checking occassionally to see if any trends develop on Coachman but very impressed with their quality after 2 years.

Alan

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

No , I still like my Bailey but was trying to get a feel of their longevity. I've usually changed mine after a few years . However we like the Wyoming so much I doubt it will be changed for many years.

I was trying to establish if there is a pattern with the ABS failures and indeed the GRP Swift panels. See Swift Talk site.

Let's hope the Alu-Tec is problem free.

My old Castleton Rovanna never had any cracked panels and she was ancient!

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Dusty

My may 2004 vermont is crack free, and damp free, BUT i never use a awning.

As i have mentioned before many times, i think you will find coachman doo NOT use stainless steel external screws.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

I think there was a production error at Bailey where the panels were inadvertantly stressed during assembly. I wish Bailey would explain what has actually happened and which models in particular were affected.

They have honoured the warranty and as far as I know most cracked panels have been replaced FOC.

Swift have behaved the same from what I read.

It's just us punters in the street seem the last to know the full truth.

Anyway many thanks for the input on your model.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
To be fair, think how many more vans Bailey sell compared to Coachman.

To the Bailey knockers, if they were as bad as you claim, they would not have been one of the first ( if not the first) to offer 6 year water ingress warranties.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The reason i bought a Bailey back in 2004 was mainly due to the CC surveys at the time, where the Bailey came out a clear winner, a clear winner in the "my caravan is not damp" category.

Having previously had two Swifts, which i liked, the first second hand with damp, so i bought a new van a swift challenger.

After 5 years the swift started to leak on the roof joint, nothing major, but required a repair.

My present caravan at the time was a new in 1997 Avondale caravan, i liked that van so much, but at 7 years old, i was informed on this site via a post, that the external screws were not STAINLESS steel, i found this hard to believe, as my 1992 swift and the one before, were actually advertised to use SS screws.

But anyway i pulled up the rubber awning cover on the caravan, only to see about 200 rusting screws!!!

The roof screws that ran across the width, had no heads left!!

Obviously it does not require a expert to figure out what follows, damp, and the 1997 avondale had gained a reputation for damp.

I loved my avondale, the side mounted gas cylinders, near the axle, the internal wheel well for the spare tyre,(not the useless ALKO offering). But it had to go, and as explained earlier i bought the Bailey because of its lack of damp reputation, and also it has external STAINLESS steel screws.

So that is why Stainless steel screws are important to keep your van dry. And as far as i know Coachman are the only british manufacturer that do not use them. So do not buy one second hand before you check the screws!

And now in 2010, i find my self on the hunt for a new van, with in the next two years, or maybe next year, or this, but my van is 6 years old now, and showing signs all be it small of wear.

Obviously i would not buy a bailey with the conventional construction, too many cracked panels, but can i trust the new build???

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, think how many more vans Bailey sell compared to Coachman.

To the Bailey knockers, if they were as bad as you claim, they would not have been one of the first ( if not the first) to offer 6 year water ingress warranties.
Zafiral

The Bailey knockers are not Coachman owners, they are owners of many Baileys that have issues on this forum. I bet the sales guys came up with the idea that the numbers sold are so massive compared to Coachman that it highlights more problems, Ha

Your comment on Bailey Warranties, well I looked at Bailey in 2008 and when I looked at the warranty small print it read they only cover any one item up to

TRENDING THREADS