Creaking Coupling

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Ive an AKS3000 coupling stabiliser and all was well until I changed the towsure tow ball to the detachable type - you unbolt the old unit and fit a new receiver for the swan neck coupling. Now it creaks and groans when going round corners. The Cvan handbook says it could be due to dirt/contamination of the stabiliser pads or the that the detachable bar design is not secure enough (I'm going to send a note to the Towsure helpline). At the same time as fitting the new ball, I gave the pads a squirt with a de-greaser liquid are they now too dry ??

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Andy,

I had a new 2003 Bailey Senator and the stabilizer creaked for a few trips then quitened down. I recently changed my Van and tow car and had to fit a new ALKO ball - the coupling creaked and still does. I have given the inside of the coupling head a wipe out and of course cleaned off the paint from the ball with emery paper as instructed.

I don't worry about the creaking as at least it proves the two halves of the friction pads are clamped up tight and this of course is how the device works. I expect it will quieten as it beds in but I can't get exited about it and really don't see it as a problem. As long as your clamping lever is still a stiff push down showing that there is a clamping load I should ignore it.

Ihave heard of totally missinformed people greasing the towball to get a quiet coupling but as we know that will degrade the device!!

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Andy,

I had a new 2003 Bailey Senator and the stabilizer creaked for a few trips then quitened down. I recently changed my Van and tow car and had to fit a new ALKO ball - the coupling creaked and still does. I have given the inside of the coupling head a wipe out and of course cleaned off the paint from the ball with emery paper as instructed.

I don't worry about the creaking as at least it proves the two halves of the friction pads are clamped up tight and this of course is how the device works. I expect it will quieten as it beds in but I can't get exited about it and really don't see it as a problem. As long as your clamping lever is still a stiff push down showing that there is a clamping load I should ignore it.

Ihave heard of totally missinformed people greasing the towball to get a quiet coupling but as we know that will degrade the device!!
Thanks for your comments David, I've cleaned up the ball and coupling again with fine emery cloth and it was quiet for a while now it's noisy again.

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Give your towball a gentle rub with some Emery paper.

Even the smallest bit of grease (say from your hands when fitting) can make it creak.

My new detachable towball did so at first, but the Emerey paper route fixed it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts