Credit where credit is due

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Quite a few of us were quick to criticise last months magazine (me included) so I just thought I would be man enough to admit that this months is a vast improvement, perhapse a bit heavy on the adverts but I quess they make the magazine affordable to us.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree. If the latest issue is an improvement then surely that is a success? However as a magazines "lead in time" is more than one month it is possible that the infamous "sink drainer edition" was a one off. Lets hope so.

Fair play to Alex Newby the Editor, she invited me to let her have my ideas on what I would like to see as I had been very critical of that article in PC on this Forum. This I did and Alex has now replied to my suggestions. I have in turn made some comments back to Alex.

I personally like to read about what others have achieved with their caravans. It may be the child inside me but I still love the excitment of going away be it a short w/e break or a longer "adventure" and at 52 it takes a fair bit these days to get me excited.

The idea of overwintering in warmer climes when I retire is of immense interest. Long exploratory tours in europe and beyond is a good read for me but as I get older the idea of roughing it in a tent has all but died and the luxury of touring exciting dstinations in my caravan is of great interest. I have found that when such items are coverred they seem lacking somehow comparred to the well written articles in other "hobby" magazines.

My first caravan after a tent was a little Esteril folding caravan which was great. I bought it from a couple who showed me all their photographs of them touring Spain and France in it. Their enthusiasm was stunning. It made me want to do it.

So much so that I would like to read about similar "adventures" by others.

One of the suggestions I made was for a "Tails from the workshop" regular feature looking at the problems we have or we get into with our 'vans and how they can be solved or repaired. I read similar articles in car and boat magazines and thought it would transfer to caravans reasonably well. I was ammazed that Alex saw this as a negative concept saying that new caravaners would be put off and needed "encouragement". I see this as being over protective and am at a loss for Alex's motivation on this.

As regards the specific sink drainer article Alex felt this was "practical" (I had said that I felt PRACTICAL CARAVAN should be a description of content) and went on to ask how I dried my dishes when away!

To be honest I have never given it much thought and replied that I did not give a stuff about how others did such a mundane task. On reflection my wife and I have analysed our actions and realised that at home we use the dishwasher and when away one of us washes and the other wipes and puts away. In fact when we had friends over for a BBQ last year we used disposable plates and put the whole lot in the campsites recycling bin when finnished.

From a personal viewpoint I buy a Caravan magazine to learn more about Caravans and what is that "extra achievement" people gain by having one.

So if PC has listened and we are better entertained and informed for our

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I agree. If the latest issue is an improvement then surely that is a success? However as a magazines "lead in time" is more than one month it is possible that the infamous "sink drainer edition" was a one off. Lets hope so.

Fair play to Alex Newby the Editor, she invited me to let her have my ideas on what I would like to see as I had been very critical of that article in PC on this Forum. This I did and Alex has now replied to my suggestions. I have in turn made some comments back to Alex.

I personally like to read about what others have achieved with their caravans. It may be the child inside me but I still love the excitment of going away be it a short w/e break or a longer "adventure" and at 52 it takes a fair bit these days to get me excited.

The idea of overwintering in warmer climes when I retire is of immense interest. Long exploratory tours in europe and beyond is a good read for me but as I get older the idea of roughing it in a tent has all but died and the luxury of touring exciting dstinations in my caravan is of great interest. I have found that when such items are coverred they seem lacking somehow comparred to the well written articles in other "hobby" magazines.

My first caravan after a tent was a little Esteril folding caravan which was great. I bought it from a couple who showed me all their photographs of them touring Spain and France in it. Their enthusiasm was stunning. It made me want to do it.

So much so that I would like to read about similar "adventures" by others.

One of the suggestions I made was for a "Tails from the workshop" regular feature looking at the problems we have or we get into with our 'vans and how they can be solved or repaired. I read similar articles in car and boat magazines and thought it would transfer to caravans reasonably well. I was ammazed that Alex saw this as a negative concept saying that new caravaners would be put off and needed "encouragement". I see this as being over protective and am at a loss for Alex's motivation on this.

As regards the specific sink drainer article Alex felt this was "practical" (I had said that I felt PRACTICAL CARAVAN should be a description of content) and went on to ask how I dried my dishes when away!

To be honest I have never given it much thought and replied that I did not give a stuff about how others did such a mundane task. On reflection my wife and I have analysed our actions and realised that at home we use the dishwasher and when away one of us washes and the other wipes and puts away. In fact when we had friends over for a BBQ last year we used disposable plates and put the whole lot in the campsites recycling bin when finnished.

From a personal viewpoint I buy a Caravan magazine to learn more about Caravans and what is that "extra achievement" people gain by having one.

So if PC has listened and we are better entertained and informed for our

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts