Crime at Chateau Ganspette

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, like many others we are regular visitors to this lovely and convenient site. However, it seems it may be too convenient for criminals. The site has been attcked several times in the last few weeks with thieves entering awnings, caravans and motor homes. They often cut windows to gain entry (unless doors are left unlocked) and creep around while campers are sleeping. Fortunately for us they knocked over a bike in the awning which seems to have scared them off but our Dutch neighbours are convinced they were gassed before having jewellery and a wallet stolen from inside a small 2 berth, while they slept! I don't subscribe to the gassing theory as the equipment needed would be dificult to creep around with. After over 30 years as Police Officer I've seen plenty of creeper burglaries where bedrooms have been entered and drawers emptied not to believe that these criminals are capable of such feats. It seems to me that while the sites themselves have a duty of care to provide some security we need to improve our own external security. I have a security light above my caravan on my drive but not on site. I think I need to improve my own on site security. I'll investigate the options at the upcoming NEC show.

Chris

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We were at Gandspette in September - and didn't hear of this at all. The site is so well-managed that I'm surprised we weren't warned (especially as we have been there so many times now that we are welcomed with the obligatory kisses).

However, if burglaries are happening there then all us campers and caravanners are at risk, because basically a tent or an awning are not easy to 'fortify'. It's sad to think that crime may be invading what used to be one of the least 'risky' ways to holiday!

TRENDING THREADS