Crime in Spain

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Don't wish to be a doom and gloom merchant, a few friends are now resident in Spain and are reporting a massive increase in crime.
One friend in late eighties "mugged" outside local supermarket.
This may be a sign of the economic climate but I wonder if anyone touring has experienced problems of late ?

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Ten years ago we had a Time Share in Spain for over ten years and there was always a certain amount of crime then. We had our tyre slashed on a slip road from Malaga Airport onto the Motorway West. Luckily they did not stick the knife in far enough for the tyre to go down immediately and we got away at fast speed not knowing anything towards. They did not think they had done it either and forgot us. Lucky. We always feel we have to keep looking over our shoulder when in Spain and be very careful.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Darlingbuds - Any idea when that article was published ? Dealings with officialdom have been unexpectedly easy, in many cases welcoming, for us this year - seems to be a government initiative - you just have to go at their pace and have a supply of passport size photos. The other side of the integration coin is an increasing push by the authorities to have cars which have been here long term re-registered locally; as required by law, and to have properties and/or full time residents registered for local taxes. Much local infrastructure, roads, services etc. only arrived after the arrival of newcomers. The locals did not need them but now find themselves paying for them so expect newcomers to pay their bit. As for crime here (Murcia area) the Spanish are finding themselves victims too, no doubt due to the economic downturn and having a non too helpful benefits system. Even so I wonder how the crime rate here compares with the U.K.

DianneT - Was your car on Spanish registration plates and, if so, was it a hire car ? Hire cars can be seen as rich targets even in the U.K. It makes sense to remove hire company stickers if you can.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Need to retain a sense of perspective on crimes as reading our local weekly paper you would think our county town was twinned with Kandahar! Even where we live there have been two violent unprovoked assaults in the evening in the centre of a town that is normally considered a quiet tourist haven. We try to be conscious of personal and property security and follow advice and instinct but nothing can be guaranteed anywhere.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mike J E said:
Darlingbuds - Any idea when that article was published ?

Don't know,but have added some helpul factual stuff.
Found this link with sources
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/68126-economic-employment-situation-spain.html
So,Spain has the highest unemployment in europe, average 20% ,some areas being 35%.
It follows that you just need to be sensible.Been twice on packages last year.Wisely advised not to leave valuables by the pool (common sense)as there are more people about who will enter hotel and steal.
Good link from good old foreign office with useful pocket sized advice leaflet and wallet card- PRINTABLE guide http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/europe/spain#crime

Actual printable guide here exactly:
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/travel-advice/general-advice
enjoy your hols

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your info. I live in Spain full time, hence my interest, so your lead to the statistics makes compulsive reading.
Mike J E

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Currently in Spain for 11th year but away from the south coast and major cities. This year there has been a marked reduction in the presence of the Guardia Civil on the roads and virtually no reports on our site of being stopped for random checks. Some say they were told not to harrass tourists as in previous years.
The local Englissh language free newspapers are not reporting any great increase in crime, nor has the number of beggars outside supermarkets increased over previous years.
We always travel away from the major cities, picking routes to avoid Madrid, Barcelona etc. and have not had any problems (touch wood).
To be fair we don't venture very far while here and certainly not to city centres or much at night. We take sensible precautions such as spare credit cards in different hidden places, one out of the car watching while the other fills and pays for fuel and so on.
With the very high unemployment levels and somewhat uncontrolled immigration an increase in crime rate is only to be expected - but Spain is not alone in this.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
MikeJE We were in our own car that day, British Registration, Citreon C8 travelling back to our apartment after dropping off friends at Malaga Airport.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
DianneT,
Maybe the U.K. plates attracted unwanted attention. There have been cases reported recently of tyres being slashed on cars seen at airports on a regular basis and being suspected of illicit taxi work - though not, as far as I know, ten years ago.

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
On a personal note but not connected with caravans, my sister in law has lived in Malaga since 2004 - they have been burgled twice, neighbours more. Live in a gated community but obviously gates not keeping out criminals - they have a Rotterdam dog and he was so useless and scared that he let the thieves help themselves and slunk upstairs to hide whilst they committed their burglary!

Jobs are hard to come by and they cannot afford to live there any longer but cannot afford to just hand the keys back to the mortgage company either ... have noticed a marked increase in crime around their area and it seems to be all kinds of people targetted. Very sad.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Though I dont doubt the truth of the reports about increased crime in Spain or the obvious reasons behind it I have seen none of it so far. In the last 10 years we have spent 390 nights in Spain and we have not , been gassed, burgled, encountered highway robbers or any other form of crime. We must be lucky, careful or a combination of the two
I think we need to keep this in proportion or we would not travel and we dont actually live in the safest country in the world anyway.
David

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for all your coments, bottom line seems to be as almost everywhere nowadays - gotta get streetwise.
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS