Crisis in the motor industry?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We went down into Hants today to look at another caravan, and on the way back we noticed that just north of Salisbury there was a large filed (grass) full of Volkswagen and Skoda cars/suv. All were still wrapped in the adhesive protection covers that you see new cars "wearing" when being transported.

These were all brand new cars, and being stored in what is normally a farm field. Perhaps stockpiled in anticipation of Brexit?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Crisis - I don’t think so !

VW and Skoda seem to be doing particularly well in the UK at the moment, as do most car retailers. Although this was a lot you could see, I think some people would be horrified to see where some dealers store some of their new car stock, a stark contrast to the bright lights and modern environment of the dealership.

The UK’s insatiable appetite for new cars is one of the strongest strings in our bow when it comes to negotiations over the ‘B’ word, thanks in the main to the majority who prioritise signing up for a PCP or PCH deal so that they can show off a shiny new car to their friends and neighbours who are equally as debt ridden, for “just £X” per month, over financial security for themeselves or their family, and it doesn’t just seem to be millennials either !

The bubble will bust sooner or later though, as these enormous quantities of new cars registered on monthly deals filter through to flood the second hand market with obvious consequences.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
Crisis - I don’t think so !

VW and Skoda seem to be doing particularly well in the UK at the moment, as do most car retailers. Although this was a lot you could see, I think some people would be horrified to see where some dealers store some of their new car stock, a stark contrast to the bright lights and modern environment of the dealership.

The UK’s insatiable appetite for new cars is one of the strongest strings in our bow when it comes to negotiations over the ‘B’ word, thanks in the main to the majority who prioritise signing up for a PCP or PCH deal so that they can show off a shiny new car to their friends and neighbours who are equally as debt ridden, for “just £X” per month, over financial security for themeselves or their family, and it doesn’t just seem to be millennials either !

The bubble will bust sooner or later though, as these enormous quantities of new cars registered on monthly deals filter through to flood the second hand market with obvious consequences.

""Five consecutive months of decline in the new car market came to an end in February as sales saw a slight increase""

""Annual figures for 2018 showed new car sales fell 7% over the year - the second year in a row of declines and the biggest fall since 2008.""

If thats doing well I wouldn't like to see what doing badly is like. Thats why there are such cracking deals on t the moment especially with pre registered cars. :whistle:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The problem I believe is global and partly caused by the lack of any easy answer to what sort of power you need in your car. Makers are suffering and the motor trade is down.
If you visit one of our daughters you pass the yard of a JLR dealer and you should see the stock in there.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
The problem I believe is global and partly caused by the lack of any easy answer to what sort of power you need in your car. Makers are suffering and the motor trade is down.
If you visit one of our daughters you pass the yard of a JLR dealer and you should see the stock in there.

Same around here. If only they would drop the prices to shift stock I would be around there like a shot. Not JLR though. Thats why we were down in Hants looking at a Challenger side dinette caravan. Mrs OC then got sidetracked into Coachman VIP 2 berth. Nice but still had misaligned cupboard doors and with only 125kg total payload I decided a Swift drive home was required!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You should see the nissan stock at sunderland !! Just over 2 years ago I used to work for a company who used to do the seats for Nissan and when they finished the Nissan Note on the line the build went down but then the Infiniti come and it went up now I have just heard that Nissan are dropping the build on the Nissan infinity basic model and the build has gone down again , talking to a friend of mine that still works at the same place , I'm just glad the way things are at the minute I got out of the motor building bit and back on the buses !

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
You should see the nissan stock at sunderland !! Just over 2 years ago I used to work for a company who used to do the seats for Nissan and when they finished the Nissan Note on the line the build went down but then the Infiniti come and it went up now I have just heard that Nissan are dropping the build on the Nissan infinity basic model and the build has gone down again , talking to a friend of mine that still works at the same place , I'm just glad the way things are at the minute I got out of the motor building bit and back on the buses !

Other than Lexus Japanese “premium” brands have always struggled. The Infiniti is a joint venture with Mercedes so it’s directly competing with the A class. No matter if it’s better than the A class, when motorists are so brand conscious the A class will win hands down.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Down at our BMW dealer Saturday morning to collect a part and the entire site did not have a single customer parking space - the place was awash with cars, but no customers in the showroom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts