Crossed legs

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I had to travel from Essex to Coventry yesterday and as usual stopped at the Cambridge services on the A14 at 07;00. It was closed until 09:00 so no loo.
No problem I though as there is a MacDonalds just down the road. It was also closed until 09:00.
Luckily the garage at the MacDonalds stop had the appropriate facilities so relief was at hand..
I know it was a bank holiday but there was a steady flow of vehicles into both facilities so I would have though it would have been worth their while to open normal times,especially Cambridge Services which had coaches and lorries pulling in as well as cars.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Mike,
yes it can be inconvienient when facilities are shut, especialy when you have diabetes and must go!
but spare a thought for the staff at such establishments, on new years day, up at 4am to get to work for 5 so it can be opened at 6am,
after a new years eve, so someone can have a pee, I wouldn't do it would you,

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Colin, I have worked early mornings in the past, including Christmas day and New Years day, to give my customers the service that they wanted.
Although I am now retired I do not miss the early or late shifts.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry Colin, but I must agree with Mike.This is a service industry, and as such, must provide a service, even if is just a toilet.
As far as I'm aware, MSAs must provide service 24/7/365.
When our kids were little 'uns we used to travel to Grannie's house overnight on Christmas Eve, and all MSAs on the M6 were open.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The clue is in the name, Motorways Service Areas (MSAs) - Cambridge Services on the A14 isn't an MSA as the A14 isn't a motorway..
The only MSA on the M11 is Birchanger Green at Jct 8 - the next MSAs are A1(M) (N) Peterborough, A1(M) (S) Baldock, M1 (N) Leicester Forest East, M1 (S) Watford Gap, M6 (W) Corley

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Roger, I agree that the Cambridge Services are not a MSA but with the amount of traffic using the A14, even on a bank holiday, I would have thought that opening at 09:00 was a bit late in the day.
The services are not a small one shop area but as large, if not larger, than many MSA.'s.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
When I was on the road with work I learned the location of the main supermarkets. They always have clean and well maintained toilets and if you need anything it is half the price of the services.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi guys, it may just be me but I tend to see the other side of the coin, yes it may be a service industry but the staff that work in it are entitled to the same benifits and time off as the rest of us, how many of us go away in the van over a bank holiday yet expect everything to be open and everybody else to be working normally.
The wife was a florist for over 30 years and every year it was the same story, a customer walks in on chrismas eve,
the conversation goes something like this.
customer, I would like so and so and have it delivered on christmas day.
wife, sorry no deliveries the shops closed,
customer, what!! no deliveries!! thats not very good service.is it!!!
wife, lets put it this way where will you be on christmas day!!!
customer, at home with my family!!
wife, yes of course you will! and so will we!!!!..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just remember it's still legal to pee on the near side rear wheel of a vehicle providing you touch the vehicle with your right hand!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
otherclive said:
Just remember it's still legal to pee on the near side rear wheel of a vehicle providing you touch the vehicle with your right hand!!
If right handed blokes peed while touching the vehicle with their right hand the chances are that they would be piddling all over their shoes
smiley-laughing.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy you clearly have a point, so perhaps the law as written could be considered to be discriminatory and needs redrafting to cover both left and right handed wizzers!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hoping not to be too indelicate here, I am right handed but following a stroke I lost much of the use from my right side.
I speak from experience because since the illness I have no other choice but to become ambidextrous
smiley-embarassed.gif

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
If right handed blokes peed while touching the vehicle with their right hand the chances are that they would be piddling all over their shoes
smiley-laughing.gif

It wasn't an issue when the law was made - everyone was right-handed - it's only in recent times that cack-handers haven't been beaten into normality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts