Crufts

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is for information purposes only, I'm not starting a debate around pedigree dogs and Crufts.

Apparently, animal rights protestors are intending to visit Crufts Thursday - Sunday inclusive. Their motto is:

"A dead dog is better than a show dog"

They have threatened to let dogs out of their cages in the benching areas. Also on the grapevine is a threat of a 'rolling roadblock' on the M42. Get into the nearside lane a junction early so there's no chance of your being blocked in on the centre lane before the NEC exit.

The Discover Dogs area is named as being a target too.

If you are visiting Crufts, then please be extra vigilant, for your own safety. If you are an exhibitor, then you are probably already aware of this threat.

I'll be there tomorrow as its terriers and hounds.

Lisa

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think Crufts has a lot to answer for in terms of dog health - however these threats are a disgrace to so-called animal lovers. They are only interested in publicity not animal welfare. Let's hope it's just a threat and that those going to see the shows won't have to face animal activists as well as traffic chaos.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Selective and inter breeding done for the winners of Crufts is one thing. The RSPCA have refused to be associated with them anymore.

However threats of violence to any animal or human is totally unacceptable and must be crushed by the police asap.

Cheers

A non interbred Dustydog

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't think the KC can be blamed for all issues relating to conformation/hereditary diseases in kc reg dogs. Afterall, the breed clubs write or amend the Breed Standard and the KC either endorses whats presented to it or not.

The RSPCA has double standards as has been found out on many occasions.

Lisa

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lisa

I did notwant to start the old debate but the tv programme last year was pretty horific an dI have to say it was hard to see any untruthes.

Anyway , violence is untenable.

Cheers

Dustydog

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan

No, I don't want to re-start the debate either, well not on here anyway.

However, I wish 'someone' would look into the brachycephalic breeds - rife with problems.

Lisa

p.s. No visible presence of the 'campaigners' yesterday but I heard about seven tannoy announcements (hall two) regarding dogs which had mysteriously escaped from their crates. Never heard of that before in all the years I've been going to Crufts.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
lisa, dont think im trying to cause bad feeling here 'cause im not.

but if a dog could escape from its "crate" then surely it must have been left alone in its crate?

im fairly ignorant as to how these dog shows work, but dogs left alone in crates doesn't seem to me to be the actions of dog lovers.

i have two springer spaniels and have never had occasion to leave them in a crate.

it kind of reminds me of the guys i used to meet at the car shows who would have an immaculate sierra cosworth, transported wrapped in cotton sheets inside a box trailer. beautiful to look at but ultimately a bit pointless.

as i say, im not trying to rouse you with this post, if you want to educate me regarding this "crate" scenario i'll be happy to listen.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi mcghee

Thanks for the reply.

I'll do my best to explain.

At KC dog shows, there's benched and unbenched. Benched applies to championship shows (including Crufts). Benched means, long rows with small partitions. Subject to the size of dog (I'll cover that in a mo), you put your crate in the partition. Each bench (partition) has a number, the number relates to the exhibitor (owner of show dog/s)and you MUST bench your dog in the allocated slot. However, if you have a large or giant breed, there's not enough room to put a crate there, so the organisers provide a metal ring which is attached to the wood within the allocated partition. You can chain your dog to that. All benches are about 18 inches off the ground.

Benching is a lot safer than walking round with your dog or dogs. You can put them in its crate and you know they will be quite safe (under normal circumstances). Most people cover their dog in its crate with a cage cover or blanket. Causes the dog less stress if it is of a nervous nature. Also, if some dogs are dog aggressive, then they can't see other dogs walking by and that is less stressful for the dog in the crate and the dog walking by.

Many people will take bike locks or padlocks to secure their dog in its cage.

At open shows, there is not a benching area but you can take a crate and put your dog inside. People normally sit near the ring in which their breed of dog will be shown and put their crates next to them.

At the first breed championship show I went to, (SBT) with my dog, there were nearly 400 Staffordshire Bull Terriers in the hall. As with most breeds of dog, you don't really want people meandering around with dogs on long leads for obvious reasons (fighting for instance).

AT SBT Champ shows, there's hardly any trouble, a woman did get her handbag stolen at a champ show last year but as members of the public can be admitted too, it's not surprising and it's never advisable to leave valuables on top of your crate, however I have left my sat nav and phone etc in my crate with my dog in the past.

As there was a threat of demonstrators, we all worked together on Thursday around our benches and took turns to watch. People normally do that anyway. The Stafford show fraternity although can be bitchy at times (like any other exhibitors) do work together in times of crisis and will keep an eye out for your dog.

At all shows, there are toileting areas for dogs, along with exercise areas too so it's not as if the dog gets put in its crate and then left for hours on end. In reality, I guess that does happen though.

My dog normally sits on my knee most of the time anyway. LOL!

I hope I have explained to maybe make things a little clearer.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts