Cruise Control when towing, is it OK to use?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Monkey's response of the 19th makes a lot of sense to me. Cruise control will attempt to maintain a constant speed regardless of whether the road is level or on a gradient. Consequently, it will be applying more accelerator when going uphill. A driver who is trying to minimise fuel consumption will, however, anticipate the situation and make better use of momentum before approaching the hill and then ease off the accelerator slightly as the car is going uphill. This is something cruise control cannot do but, as Craig says, it can still take fatigue out of driving.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reason that cruise control does save fuel is probably not a mechanical one but a psychological one. If you set cruise at 60, you sit back and go with the flow.I find that I am more tempted to floor the pedal when my foot is on it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cruise doesn't save fuel, particularly in an auto where the car as Lutz says boot it up hills, especially if you resume from a speed much lower than your setting. What I reckon it is great for is in areas such as road works where there are millions of cameras and when the roads are quiet. Using it on a busy motorway is a pain in the proverbial as you are forever canceling and resuming, even the adaptive systems such as Merc and Range Rover Sport use aren't good in heavy traffic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have cruise control but have never used it when towing because I feel it would make me not in full control of the rig - please someone convince me to 'flick that switch'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts