Cruise Control

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, we have cruise control and I find it a useful way of not exceeding the speed limit (by more than a certain amount!) when solo. However, when towing in France in summer I noticed that the car was working very hard to maintain the set speed on hills which meant that fuel consumption went into free fall... Cruise control is something of a blunt instrument - it's useful but doesn't have the sense to know when it's better to maintain a reduced speed rather than carry on regardless. If it comes as standard I'd use it but I wouldn't pay much to have fitted later. Hope this helps, Simon

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
John, I use the CC on my C5 2.2, very relaxing IF, there is not too much traffic, there is not too much gearchanging (automactic might be OK)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow with cruise. It's brilliant on the flat or on gentle inclines. On longer hills you need to change gear before you drop out of the power band. Best suited to quieter motorways and A roads. It's also useful at other times, e.g. if you're in a 30 or 40 limit with light traffic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John;

I tow with a Jeep Cherokee which has an Auto box and cruise control. I always use the cruise control when towing on Motorways and main roads. I find it brilliant, just set it at sixty mph and point in the right direction. It makes for a far more relaxed tow, especially on long motorway hauls.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have fitted cruise to several of my cars over a 20 year period.Would not wish to be without it.Conrad Anderson are very helpful and supply/fit a range

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When towing you don't really get the full benefit of cruise control unless you have an automatic. The fact that you have to change gear more often when towing reduces the advantage of cruise control with a manual box.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

You do not mention what car you have, the reason for this is that on some DIESELS all you need to do is change the indicator stork for one with the cc switch on it it's that simple, I did it on my Omega cost for new stork

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ron, Very interesting about the Omega cruise contriol swithes.Do you know of any other vehicles? For Info the series 2 TD5 Discoverys all have cruise control fitted within the ECU but only the Top spec models have the steering wheel swithes fitted,It is a very easy job to fit these swithes to the Disco 2 and will cost you about

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Mike P.

My Diesel Auto came with it fitted. Great on Quiet (e.g. french ) motorways, but not much use in busy traffic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, I have cruise control on my Volvo 850 TDi, manual gearbox. I wouldn't be without it - especially for long tows down to Spain and Portugal. I only use motorways if I have to and find that the driving is more relaxed and much easier with cruise control. Yes I do have to change gear on long or steep hills but it's no problem to click CC back on as soon as I've changed.

Also, when not towing, I use it to set my speed in areas with speed cameras so I don't go too fast by mistake - I reckon I've saved pounds on fines..!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree it is very useful with an auto box. Thinks some contributors may be confusing cruise control with speed limiting - the Tiptronic autogearboxes tend to have both, but not sure about retrofit.

Chris H has it exactly right - the biggest problem on spanish autovia is actually boredom as you just sit there and steer but not even much of that. plenty of time to catch up with all the wife's news from the past year.....

TRENDING THREADS