CS Sites?

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
As per previous posts, we are pretty new to caravanning and we have tended only to go to the same spectacular campsite every year (from tenting in 2012). We are a family of 3, with a 6 year old. We have joined CCC and I have been looking at sites for shorter trips away.

I remember my parents used to book CL sites (up to 5 pitches) and I am guessing that is what CS sites are now?

How would CS sites be with a young(ish) family and a 6 year old? I am very conscious that I would not want to irk other travellers having a young child, although he is very well behaved and sleeps a dream. But he is active and likes to keep busy during the day.

Are CS sites more for peace and quiet?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
CL caravan site means a Certified Location site while a CS caravan van refers to a Certified Site. They are affiliated with the Caravan Club and The Camping and Caravanning Club respectively.
Normally they would have minimum facilities, of water and a place for waste water and chemical toilet waste. You would have to look at each individual site to see if they might have an area for kids to play, but in my experience they don't.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
CS and CL now cover a range, from basic field with a water tap and toilet emptying point, all the way upwards to fully serviced hard standings that can be on a par with Club or private commercial sites. We took both our grandchildren to five van sites from aged 2 until about 16/17 years. They were no trouble to us or other site users, and we generally found enough things for them to do.I really liked the relative calm of the five van sites.

Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Some CS/CL sites are fairly well spaced (but not all, Google satellite view is good here!) so there is often room for kids to play without being on top of your neighbours. We used to use a lot of CL's when our daughter was younger with no issues as we tended to be out every day, by the time we got back she was too tired to do anything else! Some sites are near to beaches, tourist attractions etc so give one a try!

Reactions: Jcloughie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
CCC District Association rallies can be ideal for children.
The rallies usually take place every weekend on limited facility sites and locations, from working farms, stately home parkland to commercial sites.
As CCC members you can attend any DA rally, but look for your local DA to check what they do.
There is usually no need for advance booking, and children usually play together in a safe environment while gaining an appreciation of the great outdoors.

Jan 23, 2023
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I definitely don't want to ruin someone else's well earned trip, but as I say he is a very well behaved boy and we would only really be around the caravan site in the morning and from dinner time onwards.

CCC District Association rallies can be ideal for children.
The rallies usually take place every weekend on limited facility sites and locations, from working farms, stately home parkland to commercial sites.
As CCC members you can attend any DA rally, but look for your local DA to check what they do.
There is usually no need for advance booking, and children usually play together in a safe environment while gaining an appreciation of the great outdoors.

This sounds amazing! I will look into these as I hadn't heard of them until now, thanks :D

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When our kids were young we tended to use CL sites for value. They tend to be much better today. In my opinion, the users tend to be more children tollerent than on club sites.

You often see reports about club sites re. Noisy kids. Not somthing we have ever experienced, but then I think it is great to watch kids playing and having fun. (I don't mean that to sound pervy).

Kids are kids. Just do your best to keep them from annoying others and you will be fine. It is the feral ones that are the problem, But as said. Not somthing we have had a problem with.

I wonder if it is private sites with ‘facilities’ that have most issues.

I would certainly give CS and/or CL’s a chance

John

Reactions: Bluetonic

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
....This sounds amazing! I will look into these as I hadn't heard of them until now, thanks :D
My local DA is West Midlands.
They are very child friendly, and they even have a separate camping section for youngsters for those who want to take part.
This is often on the same location as the main rally, but the youngsters are in tents under safe adult supervision, enjoying a taste of 'independence'.
They have their own activities, and there is sometimes evening eentertainment for all in the village hall, plus events for Halloween, bonfire night etc.
Rally goers can take part or abstain from any rally activities as they wish.
We no longer go on DA rallies, but I'd recommend them for families with children.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
To explain further, these DA rallies come in two “flavours”, the “Meet” which by definition can’t be more than for 5 nights, and the “THS” a Temporary Holiday Site, which again by definition can extend right up to 28 nights.

The THS typically but not exclusively are run in school holidays and as such attract families; some THS are piggy backed to larger holiday sites so bring access to site facilities showers loos etc.

Experience with our children then grandchild and running these over many years are they make excellent holidays for families and great for children.

If you are a "Paper Member", you can opt in to receive a magazine supplement called “Out and About”, this lists the “Meets” in the coming month plus all the “THS” for the year.

Alternatively, you can login into the C&CC’s website as a member, then select “Magazine” and on that page select, “Out & About”. Here by entering the date of interest you can find the “Meets” and “THS” available over that time.

“Out & About” is also available to members as an “App”.

Pitch your selection in a school holiday in a coastal location and I would be staggered if you don’t find other families and your 6 year old find other children for a holiday friendship, plus, post attending be pressurised to go again.

The "special Interest" sections of our Club along with our DAs also offer this mix of "meets and "THS"; in all cases every meet is open to all the membership not limited to those electing to be in particular DAs or Sections.
However, in some cases booking is required and IMO it is always prudent and in the Friendly Club spirit to call the organising member before arriving, though often not a requirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and Parksy
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for showing concern for others, I wish more people did so.

There are some sites just for adults, but unless the sites rules state its just adults, then there should be no objection if you take children provided they don't make a real nuisance of themselves. Just check with the site before you book .

However as others have said many of the small sites don't have child friendly facilities which may be a concern for you.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have particular needs and want to see if a site is suitable this may be in the details or reviews on the club site or elsewhere. The C&CC do show some sites as family friendly, there is one at Caerleon in South Wales that I now of and many others besides that. If in doubt ask the owner before booking.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I've been calling them that for decades but they are actually Certificated, not Certified.

Take care, more and more CL/Cs's are becoming adult only.

Also look on 5van.co.uk and pitchup.com which are often similar sites but not always allied to one of the 'clubs.' For others look at tranquillparks.co.uk although I think many are at the pricier end and adult only.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We must have been "bad" parents and grandparents as we rarely, if ever, gave any thought to sites with child friendly facilities. Abroad there would invariably be a swimming pool, but rarely in this country. Our days were spent doing things away from the sites. These would vary dependant on the location. When arriving back at the site the youngsters would be free to basically do their own things either inside or outside the caravan. By the time we had eaten supper we may have played games, walk to a pub, raed/or e games, wander the area or just have an early night. but there again my parents gave me and little brother the freedom of Leicestershire, at a young age.

Reactions: Clifford_374377114
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are hoping that our 15 yr old grandson can come away with us over the Easter weekend and it is going to be a very steep learning curve for us.

The last time we went away in caravan with kids which strangely was also an Easter weekend was in about 1987 and they were our kids who are now grown up. It was actually a fold up caravan loaned to us by friends as we normally camped under canvas.

I think he may want to bring his girlfriend along and we are very unsure of this although we trust him, but it is the extra responsibility associated with the girlfriend. We are hoping her parents have booked to go away for that weekend. :D

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
As per previous posts, we are pretty new to caravanning and we have tended only to go to the same spectacular campsite every year (from tenting in 2012). We are a family of 3, with a 6 year old. We have joined CCC and I have been looking at sites for shorter trips away.

I remember my parents used to book CL sites (up to 5 pitches) and I am guessing that is what CS sites are now?

How would CS sites be with a young(ish) family and a 6 year old? I am very conscious that I would not want to irk other travellers having a young child, although he is very well behaved and sleeps a dream. But he is active and likes to keep busy during the day.

Are CS sites more for peace and quiet?
I've taken my kids to CLs since they were 2 and a newborn, and they are now 20 and 17.
We have had the most amazing weekends and holidays on CLs , just don't go to the ones that say Adults only.
They are usually lovely wide open spaces or orchards or next to a wood on on a working farm, so loads for a 6 year old to explore, and even though my kids are grown up now, I still love to see kids having a great time and remembering what mine used to be like. Possibly other kids on the site too, so potential to make a new friend.
Just keep ball games well away from the caravans.
I have only ever had problems with adults on CL's drinking until the wee hours in an awning and being really loud.
I say go for it, we much prefer a CL (and a CS is basically the same thing) everything we need is onboard

Reactions: Clifford_374377114
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We must have been "bad" parents and grandparents as we rarely, if ever, gave any thought to sites with child friendly facilities. Abroad there would invariably be a swimming pool, but rarely in this country. Our days were spent doing things away from the sites. These would vary dependant on the location. When arriving back at the site the youngsters would be free to basically do their own things either inside or outside the caravan. By the time we had eaten supper we may have played games, walk to a pub, raed/or e games, wander the area or just have an early night. but there again my parents gave me and little brother the freedom of Leicestershire, at a young age.

We were the same, but when we started caravaning our kids were 12 and 14 so not interested in playing apperatus.

I can see playzones being important for those with little ones.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Charlie, also have a look at some of the National Trust sites, , I don't know which area you are in but one of our favourite ones is Houghton mills near Huntingdon. About to well spaced pitches but great.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what area you are looking but this is a nice
Certificated site (CS) Llandanwg- Ymwlch Farm Wales
The pitches are well spaced out and your own fresh water tap
The quiet and lovely beach is a three minute walk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts