cutting holes in walls

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I have an Adria 502DK. I am considering adding an external 240v socket for use in the awning. Looking at the kit, the electrical connections are straightforward, however, I'm a bit wary of cutting the hole in the outer / innner wall. Once cut, will I need to support around the whole with timber ? any further advice would be appreciated thanks.

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Callum, keeping busy arn't you, yes you need to support the interior/exterior walls when you've cut the hole, get some timber of the correct size,scrape away the foam until the timber fits in, glue into place, lightly cramp until set,fit your socket not forgetting to seal around it and wire it up,you should be able to cut the hole in the van both internal and external with a stanley knife with a good blade be careful it dos'nt slip.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Callum I've fitted several of the 230V/12V socket boxes(one last week) over a 20 year period to my own vans and I've never framed the opening and there has been no problem.

A good tip I picked up on a website recently is to use screws that are long enough to go right through the sandwich and just through the interior wallboard.

Use the tape mastic and I put a ball of it on the end of the screws where they protruded into the van interior.

I fitted a radio aerial on Saturday and used a thin bolt with a nut and washer on the inside.and this method could work with the socket box too.

Prior to using the longer screw tip I always put the self tapping screws in without drilling a pilot hole as they grip better as the aluminium is so thin .

I make a cardboard template about a foot square and tape it to the side of the van carefully lining up with a set square etc.

Drill ahole at each corner and I just use a pointed saw blade that fit into a craft knife as you can see what you are doing and its slower than the jig saw.

I usually put one on each side as the 12V is useful for the tyre pump.Its east to fit below/between the fridge vents as you can get to the back easily and the 230V supply is on hand.The bottom of the wardrobe is also convenient.

Hope that helps.

Feb 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi Callum I've fitted several of the 230V/12V socket boxes(one last week) over a 20 year period to my own vans and I've never framed the opening and there has been no problem.

A good tip I picked up on a website recently is to use screws that are long enough to go right through the sandwich and just through the interior wallboard.

Use the tape mastic and I put a ball of it on the end of the screws where they protruded into the van interior.

I fitted a radio aerial on Saturday and used a thin bolt with a nut and washer on the inside.and this method could work with the socket box too.

Prior to using the longer screw tip I always put the self tapping screws in without drilling a pilot hole as they grip better as the aluminium is so thin .

I make a cardboard template about a foot square and tape it to the side of the van carefully lining up with a set square etc.

Drill ahole at each corner and I just use a pointed saw blade that fit into a craft knife as you can see what you are doing and its slower than the jig saw.

I usually put one on each side as the 12V is useful for the tyre pump.Its east to fit below/between the fridge vents as you can get to the back easily and the 230V supply is on hand.The bottom of the wardrobe is also convenient.

Hope that helps.
hello john

did you get my message about the alarm you have for sale?

john_kirvan2003@yahoo.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts