Cycle Racks?

Jan 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Do any of you own a cycle Rack, What kind do you have,what would you say is the best for a Landrover Freelander, Been looking at the kind that fits on the spear wheel also the one that fits on the A-frame of the van.

would be very greatful for any replys on this subject

Many thanks

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello david,

Any type of cycle rack that takes any support from the tow bar diminishes the available nose load by the weigh of the rack and any bikes on it.

Similarly a rack that fits to the A frame of caravan will add its weight to the nose load. You will almost certainly have to compensate for it by re distributing weigh in the caravan to bring th emose load back into the range for either car or the caravan.

for people with most saloon cars it is a real problem,. You might be lucky with the Freelander

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd check the spare wheel mounted carriers carefully as some foul the rear brakelight stem and wont fit unless its removed (not ideal.)

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
We have a Discovery and got a rear wheel mounted cycle rack from Halfords (it's their own brand one) and it has been fine. The bikes wheels do, however, slightly block the rear number plate (although you can see through the spokes!!!)which I believe is illegal but not sure that would be the case on a Freelander.

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm a cyclist as well as a caravanner and when I'm allowed to take my bike (not often, these days!) it goes on top of the car. Roof bars and cycle rack with a hinged arm which holds the bike very securely and can be locked on. No straps to fiddle with and out of the way. Probably a bit high on a Freelander, though. For what it's worth, I find that having bikes on top doesn't make fuel consumption any worse with the caravan hooked up.

G

Check your noseweight limit on the towbar, we have a Witter rack attached to our bar. Our 4x4 has a 140kg nose limit, the rack is well made and solid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts