Cycle routes in the uk

Jul 2, 2022
Visit site
As a very keen road cyclist and I cycle 150 to 200 miles a week and have ridden most of the iconic
mountains in and around the alps I must say our cycle network in the uk is not very good. Compared to french cycle routes and the cycle network they have over in France is far superior than the uk,why are we so far behind in the uk?french cycle routes are better than our major roads,my cycle to work route is covered in overgrown bushes etc etc and the authorities want to encourage cycling but it’s terrible Nothing gets done.

Attachments

• 53207646680_4172c115f1_w.jpg
    53207646680_4172c115f1_w.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 7
  • 53207626600_598a84a8dd_w.jpg
    53207626600_598a84a8dd_w.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 7
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I often have wondered why cyclists use a busy A route when there is a perfectly good specifically built and maintained cycle path running alongside the road? I guess it depends which council is responsible for clearing up debris off cycle paths.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To some extent, roads are self-cleaning in that debris is gradually deflected by successive vehicles until it's at the side where is stays as vehicles avoid the very edge of the road - on a cycle way, the weight and frequency of cyclists isn't enough to move the debris in the same way.

Local authorities are strapped for cash, Birmingham, Croydon, Thurrock, Slough, Woking and Northumbia have declared themselves effectively bankrupt with many other authorities not far off - a few of their activities, like social care are statutory but most activities are actually optional so cleaning cycle lanes is low down the priority list.

Any easy answers to this involve everyone paying higher taxes regardless of political party.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To some extent, roads are self-cleaning in that debris is gradually deflected by successive vehicles until it's at the side where is stays as vehicles avoid the very edge of the road - on a cycle way, the weight and frequency of cyclists isn't enough to move the debris in the same way.

Local authorities are strapped for cash, Birmingham, Croydon, Thurrock, Slough, Woking and Northumbia have declared themselves effectively bankrupt with many other authorities not far off - a few of their activities, like social care are statutory but most activities are actually optional so cleaning cycle lanes is low down the priority list.

Any easy answers to this involve everyone paying higher taxes regardless of political party.
Milton Keynes Council, have a fantastic "Redways" system around the city and are now extending the routes further out as the city expands.
Only usable by pedestrians, cyclists, electric scooters, horses and motorbikes getting away from the police.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Whether walking, cycling or driving you notice the lack of maintenance- untrimmed hedgerows making pavements impassable- road verges encroaching on the road affecting the margins inhabited by cyclists - roads littered with potholes ……

Reactions: Hutch

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

I guess you haven't seen our roads. They're best described as 'self gritting'. Great in the winter if you can avoid the potholes. :)

With a lot of potholes and fractured surfaces drivers tend to move more and more to the edge of the roads. Eventually they fall off the edge and rip tyres. Motorcyclists and bicyclists are at risk on our roads because of the poor surfaces.

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
why are we so far behind in the uk?
We have terrible weather (by comparison to most of Europe) and a culture where policy is driven by the noisy minority - in this specific case the pro-car-anti-cycle lobby.

I often have wondered why cyclists use a busy A route when there is a perfectly good specifically built and maintained cycle path running alongside the road? I guess it depends which council is responsible for clearing up debris off cycle paths.
For the same reason most don't drive down single lane country roads when a slightly longer A road exists. Commuting on a bike is about getting from A to B in an amount of time. Cycle lane infrastructure is such that you spend too much time crossing roads, dodging parked cars or avoiding lamp posts and dog poo.

If they build bike 'roads' people would use them, if bike lanes are just adjuncts to paths/roads that already exist their use will always be limited to which is more efficient for most riders.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
The fact that the cyclist will prefer the A Road suggests that the cycle path is NOT perfectly good, specifically built (to the correct standards) or maintained. The UK has no idea how to provide decent infrastructure for cyclists, even our new 'gold standard' has some very questionable suggestions and plenty of get out clauses for councils.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
We have terrible weather (by comparison to most of Europe) and a culture where policy is driven by the noisy minority - in this specific case the pro-car-anti-cycle lobby.
Our weather is really no different to the Netherlands and is significantly better than Denmark, both of whom provide very good infrastructure. The car centric culture you have absolutely nailed on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts