Da and across mp

May 3, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,
I had damp in the caravan from two small cracks in the rear panel and an hairline crack in the front panel. The issue was discovered at the dealership 2023 service. To repair I had a cost of approx £8000. The dealer said I was out of warranty. At this point I went into dispute and we have ended up with a cost now of £1000 I am still waiting for the call to take the caravan in for the repair. Damp readings were 38% to 40% across the front roof seam. And two patches at the rear of 30%. These figures are the same as my own damp readings with my meter. While I am waiting for the repair consisting of two rear corner caps. And a new front panel. I made some repairs so things did not get any worse in the three months I have been waiting. Last week I went away in the caravan. And took some more readings were now at 0%across the roof seam with one small patch at 17%. With regards to the rear the two small patches are at 15%. Therefore the caravan is drying out with the remedial work I have done. My question is do I have the repair done at £1000 with a 12 months garantee. Or do I sit on what I have got know.
Regards caravan John.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately any caravan with a history damp issues will have a lower value. And by the way if you tried to sell the caravan, and a potential buyer asked if the caravan has a history of damp you would need to confirm its history - even if a repair has completely resolved it.

But the amount of price depression will be affected by the quality of the repair carried out. Realistically if you don't get the problem fixed, I suspect the caravans resale value would be lower than if you do get the repair successfully carried out.

Whether the difference in value between repair and non repair equates to £1K I can't tell you.

On the other hand, sometimes it's better to stick the devil you know rather than the devil you don't, so would you be happier knowing you have a caravan that has been successfully repaired, or swapping to different caravan with unknown problems.

Ultimately that has to be your own decision.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,
I had damp in the caravan from two small cracks in the rear panel and an hairline crack in the front panel. The issue was discovered at the dealership 2023 service. To repair I had a cost of approx £8000. The dealer said I was out of warranty. At this point I went into dispute and we have ended up with a cost now of £1000 I am still waiting for the call to take the caravan in for the repair. Damp readings were 38% to 40% across the front roof seam. And two patches at the rear of 30%. These figures are the same as my own damp readings with my meter. While I am waiting for the repair consisting of two rear corner caps. And a new front panel. I made some repairs so things did not get any worse in the three months I have been waiting. Last week I went away in the caravan. And took some more readings were now at 0%across the roof seam with one small patch at 17%. With regards to the rear the two small patches are at 15%. Therefore the caravan is drying out with the remedial work I have done. My question is do I have the repair done at £1000 with a 12 months garantee. Or do I sit on what I have got know.
Regards caravan John.

We used CRA 2015 as dealer wanted £9000 for repair to front panel and after dispute ended up paying £600 for the front panel replacement.

It may be dry now, but come winter the damp will penetrate again and this time around it may be even worse.. I would suggest getting the repair done as soon as possible.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Is your £1000 contribution for the full £8000 repair?
I have minor cracks in my old caravan. Capt Tolleys gets applied by me twice a year. Five years on no problems, but it is not a permanent repair.
I’d go ahead with a proper repair before it gets worse, the offer expires ,and you are left funding the whole bill in the future

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My thoughts would be go for the full repair, and spend your £1k, you then have a recall if anything else cracks in that area.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts