Daleacres CC Site

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We're just back from a few days at Daleacres Caravan Club Site, Hythe, where we stayed twice last year, as it was so nice and the wardens very friendly and helpful.
New wardens have taken over this year and oh what a change, alas for the worse. The office closes sharp at 12 noon and the window blinds pulled down until 1pm and anyone arriving on site now have to park up in the late arrivals area and wait. At 12.45pm there were 3 units in the late arrivals area, 2 units between the barrier and entrance, 1 unit on the car parking area, which fortunately was empty of cars and 2 units waiting out on the almost single track road. Now I know it states in the directory no arrivals before 1pm, but when you've travelled sometimes hundreds of miles and with varying traffic conditions, it's difficult to get the timing exact. One owner of the 2 units parked out on the road, effectively blocking it, stormed to the office just before 1pm, with a red mist descending and found an assistant warden, who saw the utter chaos and started booking everyone in.
Those of you who went to Daleacres last year will remember the wheelbarrow of flowers at the entrance and all the beautiful hangiing baskets, well they've all gone, instead a galvanised dustbin with "Dog Bin" greets you as you arrive. Everyone was remarking on the length of the uncut grass, which we measured at 4", with clumps of it 6" after our week there. We were told it was now Caravan Club policy to leave the grass long to stop chippings flying up when it's cut. Fair enough around the hard standings, which have chippings, but the open grass areas do not.
The chippie van still calls on Wednesday evenings and judging by the comments heard while waiting, a lot of people are not happy bunnies. We won't be going back in a hurry and have told the Caravan Club why.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most disappointed to hear this report.
We spent two weeks at Daleacres in 2012. A very well kept site. Great flower beds. Immaculate facilities and excellent very friendly wardens.
One of the lady wardens had just had a hip replacement but insisted on working!
She was actually entitled to sick leave but preferred to stay active and make sure everything on site worked well.

Maybe a letter the CC is needed. Via their magazine?

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
This is disappointing news, we have been using Daleacres since 1988 and have always come away happy. In the last few years we were a little bit peeved when they increased the number of pitches, but knew that needs must. We have accidently turned up early a couple of times over the years, when we forgot the check-in time was 13:00 and not 12:00 like most other club sites. The recent warden change has not caused the backlog at the gate, it is the fault of the members chancing their arm. It is easy to arrive at the correct time, there is a service area on the same M20 exit, so a brief stop is not out of the question. Turning up early is usually done by those that think the rules and regulation don't apply to them!!

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It is a real shame when something like this happens.
I can not help but wonder what standard of service the new people think they are providing.
Quite probably they are convinced that they are doing exactly what is required of them
in which case a quiet word from someone above may be all that is required.
However doing every thing to the letter of the law rarely works out in the leasure industry where there are so
many variables that there has to be give and take by everyone and a generous spirit counts for much.
I do hope the original standards are restored.

Back in the 70's I think we stayed at this site and at the time I think it was a Camping and Caravaning Club site.
Lots of Tents and 'Vans all mixed up and very matey.
A huge tent was blown down in a storm while the owners were in France and several of us helped the site Warden to brace it back up with the aid of much thick string to prevent more damage. English holiday weather for you!
Rgds

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its a funny old world that we live in, I have just spent 10 glorious and peaceful days at Daleacres, I know the opening times are 1 pm instead of 12 noon,this gives us casual relaxed people time to leave the site by 12 noon without the worry of the single road (with occasional passing places) being blocked by oncoming early birds.
The strangest thing is that after 1.20 pm on that day mention, their was no queue only occasional people arriving.
Now that the entry time has been moved to 1pm this also applies to other cc sites in Kent, I just leave home 1 hour later.
The mention of grass being to long, well I never noticed any problems, I know it was a lovely shade of green.
The only problem that I have is their are not enough service pitches available to cater for the demand.

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
In the light of the previous comment, It's interesting to see the review for Daleacres on www.ukcampsites.co.uk for April 2014. The reviews for 2013, when the previous wardens were there, are glowing, and rightly so.
Incidentally, we did pull into the Services, but despite the "Caravans Only" sign, all the caravan slots were taken, some by a transit van, a works van, a Green Flag van (!) and a small camper van. Realising we would be early, we pulled on to the derelict forecourt just on from the Boltolph's Arms pub, to waste some time.

The previous wardens have moved to a CC site up north. Another caravanner we chatted to on site thinks they've gone to a CC site in Cumbria.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts