Damp in older caravans

Aug 26, 2006
Visit site
Yesterday we finally collected our Bailey Senator Virginia, which we ordered in June :) :) :).

We part-exchanged our 1997 Swift Challenger 530 SE and the dealer checked it over to confirm the part-ex price. He was very thorough and then went to fetch a damp meter to confirm his findings :(. The damp meter sounded almost constantly along the length of both sides of the caravan about 1-2 inches below the windows. The dealer explained to us that they were seeing a lot of Swift caravans made between 1996 and 1998 with a damp problem in that area.

There were none of the usual symptoms so we had no idea that we had a problem and it wasn't picked up on the last service even though the dealer's opinion was that it had been there for over a year. We don't know whether the damp was checked at the last service.

We didn't get such a good price on the part-ex but we still managed to buy our new van :).

My advice is that if you own ANY older caravan it would be a good idea to get it checked for damp when you get it serviced.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Around the window area in any van is going to send a damp meter nuts. The windows are a collection point for condensation especially if three or four adults congregate in a cold van after being towed.

The dealer has done a great job of driving down the trade in price at the last minuit.

I have a twenty four year old caravan and it does have two damp patches that were treated and are fine now. But at twenty four years old you do expect to find a bit.

It is not unusual for timber to register 25% moisture content as it naturally absorbs moisture.

To my knowledge Swift have not been particularly renowned for water ingress.

Steve L.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You've probably just been conned by the oldest trick in the dealers book.

Basically you can set these 'damp meters' so finely that they will bleep like crazy at the merest hint of under surface 'moisture' (not damp.

Under the windows is a favourite spot for condensation on caravans, and they know this and take full advantage of it to give you the 'unfortunately Sir/Madam' spiel.

I bet when they sell it on, the damp in your 'old' caravan will have magically disappeared without the caravan going anywhere near the workshops. They just move the dial on the meter to a less sensitive position.

Most dealers do this. It's a way of maximising THEIR profits whilst reducing yours!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lynn,

I totally agree with the others you have most probably being conned out of your hard earned cash.

I was in the damproofing trade and you can make the damp meter read what ever you want to (not as I did).Must admit that I have traded in 4 vans and not once have I ever been questioned about the condition of the van let alone been told the have a damp problem.

The dealers have a top limit trade in price and if possible they will make a excuse to lower that limit.as they have done with you!.

Not a lot you can do now only stay clear of the dealer in the future, sorry to give you such bad news.

Regards Nidge

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Lyn,

If it's any consolation, after reading all the replies I think I must have been "had" just like you.

A few years ago we were upgrading, our van was immaculate, fully serviced and the trade in price had been aggreed, on delivery day, one salesman kept us talking while the other checked our old van over. He came back and "oh dear you'll never guess what I've found, it's got damp, usual place too, have to adjust the price down by about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well done Brian. That's the only way to deal with dealers like this.

This dubious practice is widespread. It's time that dealers realised that we too can buy (and take along) damp meters!!

This 'damp' drivel that they give you, is just so long in the tooth that they use it for almost every part exchange, and just hope that you fall for it.

If you buy a Second Hand van, then take along YOUR OWN damp meter (set high of course). Watch the salesman's face when you take it out of your pocket, he will almost have a coronary on the spot. Then tell him that the van you fancy has damp, and that although you are 'maybe' still interested, there will have to be a realistic 'adjustment'.

It's worth it just to have an entertaining afternoon out!!

Play them at their own game!!

Dec 8, 2006
Visit site
Well done Brian. That's the only way to deal with dealers like this.

This dubious practice is widespread. It's time that dealers realised that we too can buy (and take along) damp meters!!

This 'damp' drivel that they give you, is just so long in the tooth that they use it for almost every part exchange, and just hope that you fall for it.

If you buy a Second Hand van, then take along YOUR OWN damp meter (set high of course). Watch the salesman's face when you take it out of your pocket, he will almost have a coronary on the spot. Then tell him that the van you fancy has damp, and that although you are 'maybe' still interested, there will have to be a realistic 'adjustment'.

It's worth it just to have an entertaining afternoon out!!

Play them at their own game!!
damp meters mine bleeps but how do you know what the beep means

TRENDING THREADS