Damp or not

Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi I’ve got a caravan and there’s marks at the front is the damp? It’s not soft it’s solid still the whole wall any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• A0462ADC-ADCB-4E6D-86D0-23FCD00EB640.jpeg
    A0462ADC-ADCB-4E6D-86D0-23FCD00EB640.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Stace, as per my reply on "the other channel", it looks like damp coming in through the awning channel on the outside of that area. My parents previous caravan had the same, removing and resealing the awning rail cured it. The fact that it isn't soft might indicate you've got a chance to cure it before it's too late.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi Stace
The photo does look like water ingress that could be due to awning rail, however have you investigated the other leak behind the plywood on the roof as of your post. Help with leak. As the 2 problems could be related.

Gra

Reactions: GaryB
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
Hi yes my friend has been round and filled the skylight where it’s been leaking in the ply bit is at the back of the caravan these patches are in the front corner, would I need to seal around the awning rail?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi yes my friend has been round and filled the skylight where it’s been leaking in the ply bit is at the back of the caravan these patches are in the front corner, would I need to seal around the awning rail?
Sealing "around " the awning rail will be a very temporary fix, new mastic will not adhere to old mastic, this applies to your skylight as well.
The only proper fix would be as GaryB's post above, remove the rail, clean it all off and replace using new mastic.
The photo looks like it is damp around the shadow area all the way up the wall, this could indicate the ingress of water could be near the top and running down.

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 18, 2024
Visit site
It’s Colchester 1150 2 it’s a 2 birth I don’t no much about it, is it a big job to do taking the rail of n re doing it, sounds like I’ve defo bought one ready to scrap 🤦🏽‍♀️😑

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It’s Colchester 1150 2 it’s a 2 birth I don’t no much about it, is it a big job to do taking the rail of n re doing it, sounds like I’ve defo bought one ready to scrap 🤦🏽‍♀️😑
It can be done, and can be very time consuming to do it right.
Best if there are two of you to keep the rail from bending/twisting when taking it off, As a quick guide:
Take out the centre beading/trim
Remove the screws
take the rail off, it may be well stuck in places
Clean off all the old mastic from both caravan and rail with blunt tool. wet wipes, then white spirit, finally clean with methylated spirit, this is the time consuming bit!!
use new mastic, I used sikaflex 512( others are available) on the rail and place back on the van, use new stainless steel screws, drilling new pilot holes, dont use the old holes unless you obtain thicker screws. Clean off all excess mastic and replace the bead.
you can buy new bead/trim to go back in.
good luck.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Do as Gagakev says. It is not a big job . I had an Ace Ambassador a few years back that showed some damp, I just rebedded all the rails and that fixed it.

Reactions: Gagakev

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts