Damp testing

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I was checkin out damp testers on ebay there and i wanted to ask, looks easy enough to use, little spikes that protrude from the bottom of it and a LCD. So I recon it will come with instructions but where does one test, obviously the wash room, do you test the roof and the floor and the walls and the 4 corners. In all of my posts i have always learned something new and i think i will here too.? Underneath the kitchen sink? :whistle:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have serious doubts about all the cheap diy moisture meters. In essence they are just an electrical resistance meter, but for the job of checking for dampness you need to have the right equipment and the knowledge and understanding of how to use it and interpret the results.

The normal readings you will get will depend on the material you are testing, temperature and the relative humidity of the air. The reading you get will be affected by how you use the meter, How hard its pressed into the surface. It will also be affected if the surface has a covering like wall paper, paint or other containments.

At best a DIY meter will tell you if you have problem, and that might be all you are looking for but its results could not be relied on to quantify the problem.

Where to test, basically where ever you suspect there may be a problem.

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I wrote, test where you suspect you may have damp.

You get condensation where moist warm air comes into contact with a cool surface or air flow. Because the ability of air to hold moisture increases with temperature, conversely as you cool moist air any excess moisture it cannot now hold is condensed out.

Some condensation is almost inevitable in a caravan that's being used. Anything that oxidises fuel (a flame, All living things including teenagers) produce higher levels of humidity. I estimate that every adult exhales about 250mL of water vapour every day, so 4 people in a caravan overnight are likely to put about 500ml of water in to the air. As this is warmer air, when it finds a cool corner or window it gives it up as condensation.

Gas when it burns for every gram of gas used, the chemical reaction in the flame produces about the same weight of water vapour, so the cooker and oven in caravans can be a major source of water vapour.

The presence of condensation is not a unique indicator of a damp problem, though excessive condensation could be a warning sign.

If you used a damp meter in an area where condensation was present, it would likely give a false 'Damp' reading on the meter.

The best solution to condensation is to maintain good ventilation. A leak free well ventilated caravan put into storage will loose any occupationally derived humidity after a few days. Condensation may still appear from time to time, usually on cold sunny days, where the sun will warm one side but the other side is is cold shadow. Generally nothing to be worried about.

One of the other important things about a damp problem is the apparent location of the wet patch is measures may not relate directly to the location of the source of the problem, and the measured or visible area of damp is likely to be smaller than the affected area behind the wall. It rather like the ice berg, where the visible bit belies the large part under the surface.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Any damp meter, no matter how cheap or expensive is only as good as the end user who Interprets the readings.
By all means do a diy but ask a professional to check any poor readings before you take a wrong turn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts