Damp wall

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi just brought a sterling eccles ruby 2011 last week but it's got a bit of damp near the kitchen window the owner we brought it from only found out just before the sale cos it was serviced then it showed on the damp report. We agreed that we would get it fixed so payed them less than we where going too. We are the 3rd owner the couple before us had it since 2017. But the original owner had it from new but before he sold it to them he tiled over the damp in the kitchen with wait for it house old tiles. So I am currently trying to sort damp out I will post picture of the wall with the tiles on. I have took tiles off and it is drying out well but not sure what to do next. I am currently contacting a few mobile caravan repairs around this area to come and have a look and get me a quote for the work.

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
Pictures

Attachments

• IMG-20210709-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210709-WA0005.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20210709-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210709-WA0003.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20210709-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210709-WA0002.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 28
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Need to identify the source which could well be the window seals so they should be down for replacement. Unbelievable that someone should use house tiles. Surprised the second owner bought it. You will need to know the damp readings to deter if any structural damage has happened. But if owner 1 covered it up and owner 2 lived with it then I suspect it could need a comprehensive rebuild in the area. What was the level of damp on the service report that you saw from owner 2 ? From memory a Bailey S5 that I had developed damp around the nearside front window in year 9 due to a seal leak. Caught it early and no internal damage to structure or wall coverings. Cost around £225 by AWS workshop in 2014.

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
The source of the problem was the window rubber the seal wore away so I have resealed it and it seems fine but only a temporary measure till it gets fixed prematurely. The damp report was 60 per cent top left hand corner of windows down to 11 per cent. Its current reading on my meter is highest 19 per cent down to 10 per cent. Is it 3mm plywood you use for caravan repairs?

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Worth going over the whole area with your damp level meter, above and below the damp area that had been tiled at least 4 years ago. Start at the wall/celling join (probably in lockers) and within the kitchen cabinet. This will determine whether you have a localised problem or something more widespread. As the walls of a van of that era are aluminium and ply with a timber frame sandwiched in between then damp can be spread horizontally and vertically from any point of entry. Best of luck in restoring your van!

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
Does anyone know how the fridge and sink unit comes away from the wall on the sterling eccles ruby 2011 model. Just wondered if its worth looking myself or wait for a professional?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The furniture are fitted before the walls are placed over them so this can be tricky. If you are having the work done by a professional I would leave it to him.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The furniture are fitted before the walls are placed over them so this can be tricky. If you are having the work done by a professional I would leave it to him.
I have seen three different ways the furniture is fitted. that last one, was where the the furniture was fitted to the wall before the wall was fitted to the floor. The previous method, was furniture was fitted to the floor before the wall was offered up. and the oldest method, was the caravan body was constructed and the furniture built inside the caravan.

Different ages, different caravan manufactures and deferent of course different models.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah thanks after hearing that i think I will. Go someone coming today so have to wait and see what he says.
If it was me i would be looking at quotes from some mobile caravan repairers then you will know how bad the damp is in the back wall just hope you have caught it in time good luck

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
I have rang loads of mobile caravan repairs but most are really busy. One was coming round yesterday between 4pm and 5pm but didn't turn up. But got cara medic booked in for the 3rd August so just got to wait till then. The damp near the window as dried out really well it's just the bit below behind the sink and cooker I can't get to. I would like to move the sink and cooker out to access the wall better to see how bad the damp is there and get it a better chance to dry out but not sure how the sink and cooker unit comes away from the wall??????

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You would need a Gas Safe Regietered engineer (Previously 'Corgi Registered) to undertake at least the refitting of connections to oven , and hob and fridge (if in the same location). So as 12v, Mains and gas are involved it might be better to sit our the couple of weeks and see what the CaraMedic says. Hope the discount the seller gave you will be enough to cover the repair bill as I suspect this is already proving more complicated than you had hoped.

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
Yeah its doing my head in to tell you the truth. Its just getting someone to do it? Just wish at times like this I could do it myself but I know I would struggle so best not start it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You would need a Gas Safe Regietered engineer (Previously 'Corgi Registered) to undertake at least the refitting of connections to oven , and hob and fridge (if in the same location). ....
I'm sorry Rob but there a number significant in accuracies in what you have written. Having previously been Corgi Registered is no guarantee that a person or company would retain Gas Safe registration when they completely took over the process in 2010. These days reference to Corgi is has no relevance.

The Gas Safety (installation and Use) Regulations require all work on gas systems supplied by pipe must be carried out by a competent person who is Gas Safe Registered. This includes installation, connection or disconnection or decommissioning of the system its appliance's.

It is a duty on the fitter to ensure all work is carried out to the relevant standards and codes of practice and must include the required testing of the system.

Failure to comply is a criminal act.

Mobile Homes or static caravans are treaded as full domestic dwellings and are not exempted from the GS(I&U)R

However, the The GS(I&U)R also include certain specific exceptions where the regulations do not apply to the private owner of either a Self propelled(Motorhomes) or Touring caravans where gas is supplied from a cylinder used solely by the private owner, and not loaned or hired for use by other people.

I personally think this exemption is a ludicrous abdication of the law, having seen what can happen when non professionals have interfered with gas appliance's and seriously poisoned and nearly killed family members with CO as a result of tinkering with flue pipes and gas feeds.

Whilst the GS(I&U)R may exempt personal tinkering in private motorhomes and touring caravans, there is no similar exclusion to the requirement that all works must be carried out in accordance with relevant standards for quality and safety testing. This does allow qualifications other than Gas Safe registration to work on LPG based mobile systems

The HSE could still prosecute if substandard gas work has been performed in motorhome or touring caravans by the owner.

Other pitfalls are if a caravan is loaned to or used by someone other than the owner, the act may be construed as £0 Hire, and thus reintroduces the full force of the GS(I&U)R.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
It's infuriating isn't it?!
I had a damp issue on my previous caravan and half a dozen mobile repairers were either no shows or came and looked at the job and didn't bother quoting. I guess they only like doing the easy stuff.
Eventually got it sorted by a local independent caravan service/repair place. Absolutely brilliant service from them but had to wait as they were so busy.
Hope you find someone soon

Reactions: Yellows11
May 24, 2014
Visit site
My advice would be not to rush in to getting the first available guy to do the job. Look for somebody local to you with a good reputation, and be prepared to wait until he can do it.

Reactions: Yellows11

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts