May 27, 2014
Visit site
Had my 1993 compass lynx 3402 serviced today - damp found around the front windows - tech suggested I apply superglue behind the rubber seals - I don't wish to spend silly money on the caravan - is the superglue suggestion a reliable fix for the problem

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought superglue would work. There was damp around the front windows on my 1998 Avondale Avocet. I got a mobile engineer to take out each window, dry out the frame and replace each window using correct caravan sealant. The cost was £60 per window.

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi T,
If you do decide to have a go yourself Halfords sell, or used to, a clear windscreen sealent which stays slightly flexible.
Make sure that the surfaces are dry if you can. I can not remember if the sealant can be applied to wet surfaces.
Once sealed any dampness should gradually dry.
Perhaps a search online might turn something up.
It may be worth considering it to see if you can avoid the professional ie expensive approach.
Rgds

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " tech suggested I apply superglue behind the rubber seals "

I would suggest that you find a "tech" who knows what they are doing, yours obviously does not.

His "advice" would do nothing at all to fix the problem,but will make removing window seals very difficult. DONT DO IT !!
IF, and only IF the water is getting past the seals, and it may not be, then they need removing and if in good condition resealing with the correct sealant, or most likely replacing with new seals.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If your van is already damp, its a matter of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. I would suggest the damp itself is more serious than the window seal. Cure the damp and THEN seal it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
There are many products out there that would do the job, but I would advocate first ringing your local dealer and simply asking advice. I have always found the service agents to be happy enough to discuss it with you.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thosoneill said:
Thanks folks - will not use superglue - will assess which sealant is suitable and take it from there

The very first thing to do is find the leak, which may not be anywhere near where the water is actually showing itself.
With windows it could be the seals, but unlikely, it could be the hinge rail, it could be the front roof strap, it could be the awning rail, or it could be a crack in the front panel.
Unless you identify where it is coming from you would be wasting your time.
As for sealants there is only one suitable for window seals and depending on the make of van only certain others for other areas.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts