I have just bought a 1986/87 Lunar Clubman and noticed that the front two corners have got significant damp problems, the wood is soaking wet and the paper is peeling off. Could anyone please tell me how I can seal the outside to stop water coming in. I have never done any work on caravans before. What type of sealant should I use ? how do I get behind the strips to seal them? How do I get the strips off or should I seal down the side of the strip without removing them? Your hepl would be really apreciated Thanks.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Oh dear! Unfortunately the damp will usually be much worse than waht you can see on the inside. If the lining is peeling and the wood very wet than the damp has clearly been longstanding. The most likely points of entry are where the front panel joins the side panels, round the awning rails, or even the front window surrounds (you are not too specific where the damp is!). The Haynes Caravan Repair manual would be a good place to start. It is unlikley that the van would be worth getting repaired professioanlly, as to remove and reseal the awning rails is around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Trevor, firstly you need to remove the awning rail strip.There is on on both sides of the van and they are usually in two peices joining at the top of the van.There is screws holding them on under a rubber strip in the centre of the rail.

Under this rail is where the caravan panels meet and where water penetrates most( but usually through the screw holes)

All this area is covered in mastic(but not domestic matstic) whis all needs to be replaced with fresh mastic/sealant available from caravan shops or www.towsure.co.uk.

As for the inside this is alot more involved.It sounds as tho the water has been pouring in.Replacing the panels is a DIY job, I should know Iv'e done it myself, however, to explain it in type would take me forever.

My advice is to ask either a caravan repairer for advice or like i did take it apart bit by bit but be prepared for some nasty suprises. Water can and does get everywhere and cause damage.

I hope this helps in some way any probs let me know.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
trevor it sounds like you have got problems .Ihave a lunar sunbeam 1989 i have been where you are . first are you a handy man with tools . if the van is as wet as it sounds you may have rotten timber framing within the sand wich construction all this can be repaired but it takes time .Buy John Wickershams caravan repair manual,it costs about 14 pounds in this book it explains in great detai how to repair damp in vans .You do need to remove the aluminium beading .You may also need to replace the inner plywood skin and any rptten framing.Im not going into any more detail now but i visit this site every week so if you decide to proceed let me know and i will give you step by step on how i tackled a similar ptoblem best wishes coljac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts