Dead flies!

Aug 13, 2004
Visit site
We've just returned from 2 weeks in France and the front of the caravan is covered in dead flies & insects. What's the best method of removing them without damaging the paintwork? Does anyone have any experience of using a front cover whilst towing? Many thanks, Simon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A good cleaner that I have used for flies is Mer, it also cleans the majority of the black streaks from fridge use and water stains. The instructions state that it is also used as a polish, but I have to admit that I prefer an alternative polish. Mer can be used safely on caravan surfaces as it doesn't wear away the thin aluminium paint layers like a T-cut type cleaner would. For cleaning a plastic front screen, you would possibly be surprised to hear that Brasso, yes the metal polish, is good. It contains petroleum distillates so it shouldn't be left on too long as it could do damage to the plastic, but rub on, polish in, allow to dry to haze, and buff off will clean the dead beasties and using a soft cloth for the buffing, it will bring back a nice shine to plastic windows that have got fine scratches or gone dull. Soft cloths are important for all the above since you don't want to scratch the final coatings on your van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My Grandad once said there is only one way to get rid of dead flies and thats with elbow grease. None of the local car spares sell it not even Boots.Can't buy a tub of it anywhere.

Halfords bug remover is very good if you can find the elbow grease

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner is the "Bees Knees" if you'll pardon the pun. Use it as directed on the tin and it works a treat.

Do you know the last thing that go's through a flies mind before it hits your windscreen?....... it's bum!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just use a tub of 'silky' bought it from my caravan acc shop..rub it on with a damp cloth and hose it off dont even have to wipe it off...even works on those black marks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm new to caravaning and will have a new van next year, Feb/March. Has any one tried wrapping cling film around the windows before setting off on a Journey to keep this area clear?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is the method I use which I came upon by chance.

The disposable cloths which women, (and some men I suppose), use to remove eye make up is impregnated with some kind of agent which takes off dead flies, guts, wings, brains, blood etc in a flash without any damage to the paintwork. I always ask my good lady to save the cloths for this when on holiday, the only downside is that when my wife reuses them she gets bits of dead fly around her eyes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi simon,easy....fenwicks caravan cleaner,mix in an old spray bottle(cleaned out)30% fenwicks cleaner fill with cold water.when you arrive,spray on leave for a few minutes and wash off and dry.safe on windows as well.to finish off use fenwicks bobby dazzler,have sun glasses to hand.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts