Dealer servicing woes

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I wondered if anyone had experienced similar experiences with their dealers.

I took my 4 year old Lunar Lexon 530 for its 4 year annual service.

I was advised that a predominately dealer serviceable chassis component needed replacing. As this was something I had never touched the damage could only have been done by the dealer. However, they didn't know that so there had to be the benefit of the doubt.

I was quite prepared to split the cost of the repair (around £120) with the dealer but instead was told by the service assistant (as the service manager didn't even bother to come and talk to me) that they would do the repair free on this occasion but I was never to take my caravan back there again.

I was disgusted with this and complained to the dealer manager who also didn't speak or even email me personally but got his PA to do it.

I don't mind having my service business pushed away as there is a NCC registered mobile agent local who can do the service for half the price. But the dealer has lost all additional accessory business as well as my next caravan purchase.

The outcome could have been very different if they had talked to me but they couldn't be bothered. As such I wouldn't recommend this dealer to anyone.

I would suggest looking on www.approvedworkshops.co.uk to find your nearest dealer/repairer and they can be rated by customer feedback. I discovered the dealer in question (who have 2 branches) had 2 of the lowest feedback scores in a 35mile radius of me

Moderator Note:
I have edited this comment to erase the name of the dealer.
This is because the comment was in breach of forum etiquette Rule 4 which states:
'You may not transmit complaints about named companies or caravan parks. Such individual issues should be taken up with the company direct.'
The reason for this rule is that the proprietors and staff of Practical Caravan have no method with which to verify the facts, so although there is no reason to doubt your comments the prospect of defamation has to be avoided.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it interesting to see regular failings of main dealerships, in giving after sales service adequate to the task.And its the same in the motorhome field of dealers as well, being a user of a couple of well known dealers over past 8 years.
We seem to get taken for suckers, as there is no way we as owner/user can determine where a fault may lay in our property, hence the need, nay, requirement when under guarantee, to have the approved dealer carry out services and repairs.
I had a Dometic boiler CPU fail, but it took three tries and three 72 mile one way journeys for the main dealer to find the right fit . Done under warranty but no reimbursement of cost of fuel.
Later had main dealer miss the recalls for body delamination, and when it became apparent, too far out of warranty date to repair. By 3 weeks ! Manufacturer took a different view and returned van to France at the dealers expense to replace defective parts (One whole body side)
There seems to be no cohesive organisation that takes these complaints forward on owners behalf. The Clubs choose not to get involved, and forums similarly allow chats, but not criticisms of known brand.
I now use a local approved agent for repairs, who is honest enough to make the fix after explaining reasons for fault, such as frozen tap, and bed hinge screws too short to hold weight. Man I can trust.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Pedr01800 said:
Manufacturer took a different view and returned van to France at the dealers expense to replace defective parts (One whole body side)

What make of caravan was it that was returned to France. I'm just about to start procedings under the SOGA against my dealer because (amongst other things) they won't pay for my 'van to be returned to the UK for serious warranty repairs.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Pedr01800 said:
..........There seems to be no cohesive organisation that takes these complaints forward on owners behalf. The Clubs choose not to get involved, and forums similarly allow chats, but not criticisms of known brand.............
I'd agree that there is no organisation that acts solely on behalf of caravan buyers who have received poorly designed and constructed tourers and second rate service from some dealerships.
Most internet caravan forums including this one do allow justified criticism of known brands but the high probability of litigation prevents the direct airing of complaints and criticisms of individuals or dealerships for the reasons stated previously.
Standards of touring caravan construction are slowly but surely being enchanced by the rapid expansion of instant mass communication however, and when things do go wrong this forum is lucky enough to enjoy the support of forum members who are well versed in many aspects of consumer law.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It was a Rapido Motorhome. They do also manufacture caravans
Great service from them and several emails established good rapport with them confrimed that particular dealers inadequacies. Found all recalls sent from Rapido left unattended in IN tray.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My last motorhome was UK manufactured, and bought brand new.
We did have few issues, like waste pipe from shower not connected to outlet, allowing water (on second day of use) to flow through interior, and bed base hinge point inadequately fixed to sub-frame allowing it to become loose. Plus an inferior "Media" pack for CD/DVD/Radio/Sat.Nav/ TV player, all integrated to lose me in Belgium and elsewhere. Swapped for new one which worked.
All the defects discussed with company and returned to them for fixes while I waited in same day.
That's good service. Recommend Autotrail.
And it just happens, today I have finally been told my electric invalid scooter, made by Di Blasi in Sicily, sold here by Cavendish Mobilty Aids, will be returned from Sicily where it was sent to with electric defect in December, whilst in Spain. and used for very first time. It defected itself in 1 week. After these past six months of arguing the liability of the damage and subsequent courier company damage incurred in transit, with several promised phone calls not materialising, I finally spoke to someone who could deal with the problem, or so I am lead to believe.
Watch this space for good news of outcome !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pedro,
You should check the terms and conditions of the manufacturers warranty/guarantee that you have used. It is a contract and by accepting the warranty/guarantee you agree to its terms and conditions. Most Manufacturers warranty's will not cover the costs involved of getting the faulty product to the point of repair. One of the important things about manufacturers warranties is that they can never deminish your statutory legal rights, and if you had insisted the repair be carried out under SoGA not the manufacturers warranty, the seller is responsible to cover the costs of effecting the repair.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PaulT said:
Pedr01800 said:
Manufacturer took a different view and returned van to France at the dealers expense to replace defective parts (One whole body side)

What make of caravan was it that was returned to France. I'm just about to start procedings under the SOGA against my dealer because (amongst other things) they won't pay for my 'van to be returned to the UK for serious warranty repairs.

Hello Paul.
SoGA is a piece of UK legislation, and I am not certain if it can be imposed across international boundaries. You may need to seek professional advice under your circumstances.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Prof, the dealer I bought from had an extensive warranty, implying that any work required under warranty had to be done by them, subject to the manufacturers terms and conditions.
That was not a problem until warranty work was needed. Three trips for same defect to be "looked " at did not impress. Their modifications never resolved the problem, and another dealer of same marque verified there was a fix notice issued by maker, but he could not attend to it as warranty work was laid with vendor to fix.
Intervention by maker directly resolved item defect.
Subsequent items needing attention by vendor were treated to an indifference of customer service department and workshops manager lied through his teeth about problems with maker in France.
My contact with French maker revealed the system in place.
Any item requiring warranty replacement had to be paid for prior to delivery on the weekly delivery. On the understanding that the faulty component would be returned immediately after fault remedied.
The Office in France told of many financial problems with that dealer, hence their stance.
The Customer Service must have been bad as there was a notice in reception drawing notice that anyone being loud, abusive or nuisance would be ejected and banned.
There must have more than my dispute to attend to, and my voice is not small, but rather penetrative and distinctive, like Sergeant Majors, so all hear what I have to say, especially when not satisfied with poor service.
This dealer had the franchise removed not long after, but hear of similar problems with purchasers of other brands from same dealer. Nothing has changed, even though the firm has had more than three buyouts in 7 years, and still has great salesmen. But nothing can be said publicly about their inefficiencies, other than gripes on the various related forums.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
PaulT said:
Pedr01800 said:

Hello Paul.
SoGA is a piece of UK legislation, and I am not certain if it can be imposed across international boundaries. You may need to seek professional advice under your circumstances.

Hi Prof,

The caravan is a Bailey and was bought by me, new, from a UK dealer. My legal advice is that I have an excellent case but I was trying to settle it without going to Court. This has not proved to be possible so I'll be proceding next week.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pedro,

Pedr01800 said:
Prof, the dealer I bought from had an extensive warranty, implying that any work required under warranty had to be done by them, subject to the manufacturers terms and conditions.

If what you have written is accurate, then your seller is seeking to diminish your legal rights under SoGA. That is unlawful and represents and unfair contract. The manufacturer is not a party to your contract of sale with the seller, and cannot therefore impose any terms and conditions for work that is being conducted under SoGA.

Even though on the nature of a manufacturer's warranty seems to mimic many of your statutory rights, the warranty and SoGA are legally very different.

When you make a retail purchase you are automatically and irrevocably covered by SoGA. No trader can wriggle out of their obligations under SoGA unless they cease trading, nor can they impose any restrictions of any kind that will diminish your rights afforded under SoGA.

By contrast a manufacturer is not legally obliged to offer any kind of warranty or guarantee to the end user. The only reason they do offer one is because they know that consumers will not buy their products unless one is offered. There are other more obtuse reasons, but basically its because they don't want to stand out as being negatively different.

You do not automatically get a manufacturers warranty, it is a gift from the manufacturer, and technically you apply for it when you sign the warranty documentation. Because a Warranty is not a automatic facility, and its form and content is not covered by any statutory legislation, the manufacture can set out ANY terms and conditions they wish, hence you get required service and inspection intervals, They choose not to cover the cost of getting a caravan to and from the repair centre, they can exclude certain items from the cover and set time related limitations for certain activities. It is contract and by signing it you are accepting the T&C's. But they can never supercede your rights under SoGA, which is why warranty's and guarantees will often include a statement to that effect.

The prime advantage of a manufacturers warranty is usually you are not tied to having remedial works carried out by the seller. You can usually have them done at a more local agent for the marque or by NCC approved servicer's. But even though local agents may be permitted to carry out certain repairs under warranty, in some cases the local agent may not be able to fit the work in, or the nature of the work may relate to something the seller has done or perhaps didn't do, and so is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Insisting having remedial work is carried out under SoGA is your statutory right, and it means the seller cannot invoke the manufacturer's warranty T&C's to diminish their liability. Ironically if a seller needs to seek technical advice about the job, the can employ the manufacturer to carry out the work on their behalf. But the manufacturer would a sub-contractor to the seller, and sub-contractors cannot direct the main contractors (seller in this case) to do anything, they can only advise.

You are not obliged to accept that advice from a manufacturer where SoGA has been invoked.

Pedr01800 said:
That was not a problem until warranty work was needed. Three trips for same defect to be "looked " at did not impress. Their modifications never resolved the problem, and another dealer of same marque verified there was a fix notice issued by maker, but he could not attend to it as warranty work was laid with vendor to fix.

If as seems possible in this case the seller had attempted repairs under but had failed to use the correct materials or methods, then it would depend on the basis under which the repairs had been carried out, was it warranty or SoGA.

If it was SoGA, then the matter rests between you and the seller. But if it was under the manufactures warranty, then you have invoked the warranty which is between you and the manufacturer. The seller or dealer is simply acting as an agent for the manufacturers warranty. It is a reasonable perception that and approved warranty agent will have received all the necessary training from the manufacture to carry out repairs. If they get it wrong, then your complaint is with the manufacture who is your main contractor in the warranty contract.

If a case has become complex or is substandard then, other dealers will be reluctant to become involved.

Pedr01800 said:
Any item requiring warranty replacement had to be paid for prior to delivery on the weekly delivery. On the understanding that the faulty component would be returned immediately after fault remedied.

This is common practice in many industries - "Credit on return" should sharpen a dealer's appetite for accurately recording and managing works

Pedr01800 said:
The Customer Service must have been bad as there was a notice in reception drawing notice that anyone being loud, abusive or nuisance would be ejected and banned.

You will find similar notices in virtually all council offices.

Pedr01800 said:
Nothing has changed, even though the firm has had more than three buyouts in 7 years,

People often don't respond well to "buy outs" and the problems could be to do with severer feeling of insecurity.

Pedr01800 said:
But nothing can be said publicly about their inefficiencies, other than gripes on the various related forums.
Sorry but that is this forums etiquitte.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Too many imponderables with ifs and buts to enable clarity of final result.
Unless you buy with a proviso that no warranty is required, as you imply, SOGA is determining factor for defect rectification.
Methinks the average punter will be unable to have faith in any dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts