Delamination

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi we have a Compass Omega 524 2008 model. Over the last couple of month we've noticed more spongyness in the floor, in front seating area and also kitchen area. Has anyone ever sorted this problem themselves? What way would be best to sort it? Any ideas would most appreciated.
Thank you

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jupiter 53, sorry to hear about the spongy floor of your caravan.

This happens to many vans and whilst unwelcome, can be fixed by a handy person fairly easily.

There are generally two methods of approaching the repair, one is to lift the floor coverings and repair from the top using gravity to assist the bonding adhesive to penetrate and rebond the upper plywood to the core material (often a foam) and thence to the lower plywood and so make all 3 component parts, a fully integrated floor of considerable stiffness.

The second method is to approach the job from underneath the caravan ( you may need to raise it using car ramps if ground clearance is tight or if your girth demands it!) :p
As using this method means that gravity is working against you so to speak the adhesive needs to be introduced to the holes you drill under a modicum of pressure for which a special "gun" is needed,,,( fortunately they are quite inexpensive)

Our own Sir Sprocket has photographed his own splendid repairs using the underneath approach and also provides a detailed description.

Have a look here for more details.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/technical/49042-floor-delamination#382274
Good luck and I hope the repair goes well for you.
Regards
paws

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jupiter, Sir sprocket has spurred me on to do mine. In our caravan its in the front where you sit and covers about two foot long and nearly the width of the seating area. I have ordered some stuff of ebay to do it. Its just the one pack stuff though. There are two different types on ebay. I am just going to cut the front carpet out and drill the holes and use the pegs. I have new carpet to go down after. The worst thing is that my caravan is 50 miles up the road. I will have to go up and stay the night at that time drill the holes and peg them then come home and let it all set up. Then go back a couple days later and fit the new carpet.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
raccoon said:
Hi Jupiter, Sir sprocket has spurred me on to do mine. In our caravan its in the front where you sit and covers about two foot long and nearly the width of the seating area. I have ordered some stuff of ebay to do it. Its just the one pack stuff though. There are two different types on ebay. I am just going to cut the front carpet out and drill the holes and use the pegs. I have new carpet to go down after. The worst thing is that my caravan is 50 miles up the road. I will have to go up and stay the night at that time drill the holes and peg them then come home and let it all set up. Then go back a couple days later and fit the new carpet.

Hi Raccoon, have high lighted that you intend to stay in the van, not sure if you mean before or after you have used the adhesive, if after I would not stay overnight in the van the aroma's/fumes from the glue will probably send you high and wont do you any good. Manufacturers instructions normally state only use in well ventilated area's.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for pointing that out. I have not wrote it out very well have I. I am intending to go up one day and drill the holes ready. Then on the next morning put the stuff in the holes and the pegs then just come home leaving it to set up. Go back a few days later and finish it off.
Cheers
Stewart

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts