Delay in parts with dealer and manufacturer

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Has any other caravanner on here had long delays for basic warranty spares for a caravan?

We purchased our T/A van back in March 2016. The locking mechanism failed on November 3rd 2016 and I reported the failure to the dealer immediately. They responded on the 7th November asking for photos which I sent by reply.

I explained to the dealer that I'm happy to fit the door lock myself provided it doesn't effect the future warranty and the warranty claim was authorised on the 8th November. I was told to expect a lead-time of 6-8 weeks but be aware of the Christmas shutdown on the 23rd. I thought it was ridiculous for a standard part that should be on the shelf, but it is what it is and I'll have to wait.

Fast forward to January 24th with no updates since December 8th 2016 and I'm now chasing the manufacturer myself. I've had to get the warranty reference from the dealer as they don't use the chassis number or any customer info to cross ref the claim. The manufacturer tells me the part was dispatched on the 3rd December to the dealer and that dealers get updates via email / online portal every Friday so should have been aware.

I call the dealer. No part in the warehouse but they'll ask the manufacturer for a POD. 3 days later I'm informed no POD so the door mechanism is now back on order at the standard lead-time! Another 6-8 weeks, which now takes us towards April!

I called the salesperson last Tuesday (31st Jan) who dealt with us when buying the van and their response was to use a locking mechanism from one of their stock 2016 vans. I'm happy with that response and I'm told I'd receive it last week (by 3rd Feb)

I then receive an email yesterday (9th Feb) from the customer service advisor at the dealer, that the lock removal for the stock van has been authorised and should be with you shortly!!!

Christ! Is it me, or is this ridiculous?

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Pretty standard 'customer service' as far as the whole caravan industry is concerned. What it needs is every customer with any sort of wait for anything to contact their dealer on a daily basis until they get satisfaction. If the dealers had to employ someone just to answer queries on the phone they'd soon get the message and get their act together. :huh: [sub][/sub]

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
Pretty standard 'customer service' as far as the whole caravan industry is concerned. What it needs is every customer with any sort of wait for anything to contact their dealer on a daily basis until they get satisfaction. If the dealers had to employ someone just to answer queries on the phone they'd soon get the message and get their act together. :huh: [sub][/sub]

Glad I'm not the only one who suggests taking a harder line :p

I'd have rejected the caravan on the 24th January as you had given them ample time to resolve a potentially serious matter if scrotes had accessed the caravan due to the failed door lock and led you to claim against your insurance.

I've said time and again, buyers of caravans are now reaping the rewards of the holy trinity of the past -
1 Shoddy work practices by assemblers of common poor quality parts.
2 Dealers who accept said shoddy output from assemblers hoping those awfully nice repeat buyers won't kick up a fuss.
3 Repeat buyers over decades who have accepted said shoddy products and not wanted to upset those awfully nice dealers they've bought off time and again, and failed following buyers by not employing their statutory rights in case they miss a holiday due to rejecting the shoddy goods.

It's the 21st century :p

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Basically it is par for the course and the complaint could be about any of the five UK builders. Good dealers will use parts from stock where possible so it looks like you got one of the better ones.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the hard line tactics, however I've owned the van for over 9 months, so doubt I'd have any joy with rejecting it under the CRA. It's been purchased without finance, so it rules out any leverage with the finance company also. I'm aware of said shoddy dealers who are out to make a quick sale too. It seems in this industry that both dealers and manufacturers want it both ways. Limited or poor customer service and lots of money for an aluminum box. Even on part exchanges they're happy to pull your pants down.

I'll see how long it takes now that the handle mechanism has been despatched. I did mention on my email complaint about the van being technically uninsured due to insufficient security.

Let's see what their response is.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chrisjkerr said:
I agree with the hard line tactics, however I've owned the van for over 9 months, so doubt I'd have any joy with rejecting it under the CRA. It's been purchased without finance, so it rules out any leverage with the finance company also. I'm aware of said shoddy dealers who are out to make a quick sale too. It seems in this industry that both dealers and manufacturers want it both ways. Limited or poor customer service and lots of money for an aluminum box. Even on part exchanges they're happy to pull your pants down.

I'll see how long it takes now that the handle mechanism has been despatched. I did mention on my email complaint about the van being technically uninsured due to insufficient security.

Let's see what their response is.

I disagree about a claim under CRA.

I'll admit it's a bit of grey area, but one of the purposes of a caravan is to provide a securable space for you and your valuables when away from home. Without that security it makes you vulnerable and potentially uninsurable. This means the caravan cannot safely be used for the purpose for which it is intended.

Part of the CRA looks at the level of inconvenience a fault causes, either from the fault itself but also from the route to remedy. Whilst it could be argued that the failure of lock has not rendered the caravan unsafe to use, it has caused major inconvenience and unnecessary concern becasue it cannot be secured and renders it in fit for purpose. During this period you have been paying or have paid for insurance cover which if a claim had been made may have been rejected becasue of it being insecure. That is a tangible loss.

A hotel that could not allow you to lock your room door could be liable for all sorts of litigation from theft or to failing to safeguard.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Prof. I guess what I'm saying is that the time it would take for me to go through the rejection process with the dealer, the paperwork and the hassle of them replacing it or being given a refund at fair market value, it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me and I'd still be without a van. The dealer is around 3.5 hrs away from me due to it being a Feb 2016 NEC purchase so they're not local, I'd happily take compensation for the inconvenience if that equates to discount, free service etc at a local dealer. I known this means that the dealer yet again gets away with poor service and liability.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Chrisjkerr said:
Thanks Prof. I guess what I'm saying is that the time it would take for me to go through the rejection process with the dealer, the paperwork and the hassle of them replacing it or being given a refund at fair market value, it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me and I'd still be without a van. The dealer is around 3.5 hrs away from me due to it being a Feb 2016 NEC purchase so they're not local, I'd happily take compensation for the inconvenience if that equates to discount, free service etc at a local dealer. I known this means that the dealer yet again gets away with poor service and liability.

That kind of apathy is exactly why there is no incentive for the caravan industry to improve. See my other post about the holy trinity. Rejection is simple, a letter to dealer stating somewhere near the end, 'collect from my premises'. Assemblers are paying transport costs for repairs and returning to the circus where they first assembled the common poor quality parts, so that is no reason to not reject. If you don't reject it, your future complaints will read as hypocritical, that is not a sleight on you, just as it is.

Many years ago I was in Australia for an extended period with work. I was taken out to dinner in one of Perth's best restaurant, where the phrase 'you can't complain about the service, as there wasn't any' was coined. How true that rings in respect of the caravan assemblers :p

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply KeefySher.
I think rejecting the van due to the failed locking mechanism in my opinion is probably taking it too far, especially as everything else on the van thus far has been trouble free. (touch wood)

I do agree with what you're saying.though regarding manufactures and dealers not having any incentive to improve. If I had a far more serious issue with the van, say, something similar to the chap with the brand new Buccaneer Galera, then I would obviously be looking to flex my rights as a buyer.

At the moment,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chrisjkerr said:
Thanks for the reply KeefySher.
I think rejecting the van due to the failed locking mechanism in my opinion is probably taking it too far, especially as everything else on the van thus far has been trouble free. (touch wood)

I do agree with what you're saying.though regarding manufactures and dealers not having any incentive to improve. If I had a far more serious issue with the van, say, something similar to the chap with the brand new Buccaneer Galera, then I would obviously be looking to flex my rights as a buyer.

At the moment,

The mechanism for rejecting is the same for a repair or a refund. If you use the CRA. It could speed up the repair.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that if it is only the lock that is a problem then rejection does seem drastic as whatever you get next could be worse. It might be a mechanism for speeding up the work though in many cases.
I see no problem with the dealer taking the mechanism off a stock caravan and then just putting in the claim to the maker. Certainly when we got a new caravan with a faulty fridge the dealer just took the caravan in straight away and replaced it from a stock caravan which is the sort of service we all should get.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree Ray,

for such a repair the dealer should be bending over backwards to keep his customer happy, and then arguing the toss with the manufacturer afterwards.

This is why the CRA should be quoted far more, and it should be made mandatory that dealers will assume customers complaints should be handled under teh CRA unless the customer specifically asks for the manufacturers warranty to be invoked.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Raywood / Prof.

Yeah, that's exactly my thoughts. They should be doing everything they can. I'll hopefully receive the lock early this week. If not, I'll start communication with the CRA being mentioned and see if that helps expedite things.

I'll be going to the NEC show at the end of the month. I'll be quite happy to speak to the manufacturer directly on their stand informing them of the ridiculous timescales one should have to wait for what I'd expect to be a part that is standard across the 2016/17 models.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chrisjkerr said:
Thanks Raywood / Prof.

Yeah, that's exactly my thoughts. They should be doing everything they can. I'll hopefully receive the lock early this week. If not, I'll start communication with the CRA being mentioned and see if that helps expedite things.

I'll be going to the NEC show at the end of the month. I'll be quite happy to speak to the manufacturer directly on their stand informing them of the ridiculous timescales one should have to wait for what I'd expect to be a part that is standard across the 2016/17 models.

BY all means do that but do understand that you only have your Manufactures warranty contract with them and they write teh rules for that, where as the CRA is enshrined in law and the dealer is legally required to conform.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Chrisjkerr said:
Thanks Raywood / Prof.

BY all means do that but do understand that you only have your Manufactures warranty contract with them and they write teh rules for that, where as the CRA is enshrined in law and the dealer is legally required to conform.
I assume the lock manufacturer is Hartal. If I am wrong my apologies now :) Ironically there is no delay from Hartal or their numerous suppliers. My own local dealer has them in stock now .
See this too https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/brand/hartal

Chris , You chose to buy from a dealer far afield which is not something I would do. However distance or not the duty of care owed to you by the dealer is the same as for me.
The truth is you are being fobbed off with rubbish. I bet the dealer stocks these locks in their own sales shop!! B)

Buy the dam thing and demand recompense by return from the supplying dealer.

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Chrisjkerr said:
Thanks Raywood / Prof.

You'll be very lucky to actually meet someone from the assemblers at the NEC. The stands, despite carrying the assemblers name are manned by the dealers. It's a funny old cartel this caravan lark :p :p

You might be better explaining the situation with prospective buyers as they look around the show vans. The odd comment as you look at the door lock :evil: :evil: Or ask to take the lock off the door to take home from the dealer representatives that you bought your caravan from. :evil:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Oddly enough you might be surprised that the manufacturers have someone there if you ask. Having had a long delay in getting parts for one caravan we went to the show at Glasgow and asked if the manufacturer did have someone there and yes they did. We then complained long and loud in a public area and although nothing has changed we did at least feel that bit better for getting it off our chests.
On another occasion we queried a point with a salesman and as he did not know the answer he produced one of the manufacturers directors who did.

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies all.

No Dusty, the lock isn't Hartal. From what I've found out from various sources, it's Trimark.

My previous Bailey and Sterling were both Hartal and had the name moulded in the plastic and on the inner workings. The one from my caravan isn't branded at all.

I knew the distance could be an issue, not being able to knock on the door, but there's only one dealer near me that stocks this particular manufacturer and they're already rated quite poorly as a dealer so thought I'd take my chances.

We met one of the sales managers from the manufacturer at the NEC show in Feb 2016 after asking. The sales rep for the dealer located the gent and he was able to answer the questions the dealer sales rep couldn't or wasn't competent enough to answer.

Funnily enough chaps. I had a parcel waiting for me this evening. Inside the bubble bag.....door locking mechanism.!

However..... It's not the bloody part that needs replacing! They've sent the plastic inside part. I required the metal handle from the outside as per my email to them with photos!!! The part that's broken is the handle that has two parallel pieces of metal that pull the latch mechanism inwards so the door opens. I can't believe they've sent the wrong part.

Time to get on the phone tomorrow morning and give someone a thick ear and also the address of the caravan that they can come and collect.

Sorry chaps. I've had enough, I'm off for a pint of ale.

Aggggg!!!!

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Yep. That's the one. I've seen them on the usual selling sites and accessory shops. Just too stubborn to buy one when the dealer should organise one. Sods law, I'd buy one, ask to be reimbursed to be told that's not the way their warranty works!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The dealer is liable as well as the caravan builder as we have said earlier. What might be a better way in these cases is for you to buy the lock yourself and ask them for the money. The problem though with this small item is that if they refuse then the sums involved may not be worth the effort of taking them to court.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts