Deliberate Mistake?????

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whilst at the Woosiefest we were shocked to see a new Bailey Olympus "self levelled". He turned the front and rear steadies to the point where the n/s wheel was dangling 2 inches in the air!!
Imagine the strain on the floor and structure of the poor caravan. One for a future water ingress I dare say. :p

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Whilst at the Woosiefest we were shocked to see a new Bailey Olympus "self levelled". He turned the front and rear steadies to the point where the n/s wheel was dangling 2 inches in the air!!
Imagine the strain on the floor and structure of the poor caravan. One for a future water ingress I dare say. :p

And when it does start leaking the owner will probably post on internet sites about the lack of compassion shown by Bailey and what rubbish vans they are !!!!

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
A couple of years ago when I was in Spain I watched a guy arrive on Friday afternoon. He levelled his van, put up his awning and he and all his kids stayed for the weekend.

]
Misuse%20of%20corner%20steadies._zpswf50rvsc.jpg
[/URL]

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I know everyone at the "fest" was a Woosie and therefore by definition terrified of getting slapped but didn't anyone think to point out the error of his ways?

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Didn't see it, and the 'gossip' didn't reach me or - (a) might have sneaked a picture, & (b) Woosie or not might just have broached the subject. (Was it 'him' with the big dog?)

Shouldn't think it was a mistake, deliberate certainly. Ignorant - yes, - but still a lot of people still call them "jacks" and use them as such.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
He was built like the proverbial brick house with a massive mean looking rottweiler. He didn't look the sort who would take kindly to any sort of advice. Best to keep zipped up.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Down this way I go past a caravan every week parked at the back of a house on the highway, full cover on it sat up on all 4 corner steadies and NO wheels. Medium size S/A van, oh and no support under the axles.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
chrisbee1 said:
I know everyone at the "fest" was a Woosie and therefore by definition terrified of getting slapped but didn't anyone think to point out the error of his ways?
Not quite true as it happens Chrisbee. :lol:
I go to the Woosiefests and am not a Woosie, and I'm sure that any forum member who is not of the Woosie persuasion will be made more than welcome at the get-togethers.
I knew about the corner steady error but the owners had gone before I had chance to speak to them, otherwise I'd have mentioned their mistake in passing.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dont know if it was the same van Sir Dusty as I too didnt here about it ,we were out for most of the day and came back and he was set up next to me and presume his awning covered the wheel as I didnt notice it either., but the chap (and the big doggy) was starting to worry me when he was having trouble with his gas bottle, he couldnt release the regulator so undid the pigtail and took it all out of the van. he then proceeded to try and remove the regulator and after several attempts managed to pry it off with a screwdriver!!! He then put it all back together, now this is where I really stared to BRICK it, I'm next to perhaps a novice and thought he was going to blow us all up!! So I went out and asked him if he had checked for leaks, and offered him my gas leak detector spray, which he knew nothing about but duly accepted and I watched as he sprayed for any leaks, as it was there werent any.
BIG sigh of relief, :)

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Is not the real problem that the steadies are attached to the floor and are likely to go through it.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Raywood said:
Is not the real problem that the steadies are attached to the floor and are likely to go through it.

Just looked under my Lunar (have it at home to clean before putting it into storage) the front steadies are attached to the floor, whereas the rear steadies are on a continuation of the chassis. I guess there is method in the madness as at the front of the van the jockey wheel takes most of the movement and the front steadies don't do much work. At the back of the van then the steadies need to work more and hence attached to the chassis. On previous older vans the front steadies were attached to chassis out-riggers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts