Devastating blow!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Io fully agree. In about 2011 a group of my students had been in the Philippians doing charity work. We got them to Heathrow no problem. But when I investigated picking them up I got a shock. I would be driving a van for the luggage, and a colleague would take the mini bus. The van was, as you say, expensive, but the mini bus was too high for the barrier. So they wanted £70 to put it in a coach park. Best part of £100 for both. I could have claimed expenses, but we tried something else. We went to the drop off which is above arrivals and told the group to come up stairs. All went well until a copper in a tow truck came. My female, colleague was sweet talking him and as it was a charity mission, he was softening. Then a car turned up trying the same pick up thing. The copper said, “there's a mini cab, I hate them” and went off to get him leaving us alone.

Strange how things happen.

Birmingham are OK for collections.

John
Bristol it is £5 for 10 minutes in the rapid drop off and collection area. Exceed the 10 minutes and it goes up to £25 i think it was for a total of 30 minutes from entering. Fortunately when I recently went to collect the family the exit barriers were all in the up position and no payment machines were working. £5 saved.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In the premium car park which is just outside the entrance the charges are even higher. As a BB holder you get the first 30 minutes free and then the high charges kick it and they are even higher that the other car parks and increase very 15 minutes. As BB holder it takes you nearly 10 -15 minutes just to get inside the terminal to where the passengers come out!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
In the premium car park which is just outside the entrance the charges are even higher. As a BB holder you get the first 30 minutes free and then the high charges kick it and they are even higher that the other car parks and increase very 15 minutes. As BB holder it takes you nearly 10 -15 minutes just to get inside the terminal to where the passengers come out!

Perhaps park 15 mins away and wait for a call from the visitors. Ask them to go to the car park while you drive there. Hug in the car park!

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps park 15 mins away and wait for a call from the visitors. Ask them to go to the car park while you drive there. Hug in the car park!

John
That would be an idea, but her SA phone will still have a South African sim card and sim card may not be compatible here unless using wifi.
Unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere close to Birmingham airport that you can park up. Also she will probably be unfamiliar with the surroundings.
Seems there is no choice except to pay the rip off prices. Luckily only happens once or twice every couple of years.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That would be an idea, but her SA phone will still have a South African sim card and sim card may not be compatible here unless using wifi.
Unfortunately I don't think there is anywhere close to Birmingham airport that you can park up. Also she will probably be unfamiliar with the surroundings.
Seems there is no choice except to pay the rip off prices. Luckily only happens once or twice every couple of years.
I’d be surprised if SA SIM card didn’t allow a text or call, otherwise tourist or business folks would be really inconvenienced. But whatever it must be the best option to pay parking and go over to arrivals and welcome them as you must really want to.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

After your #22 post I was assuming they were using Heathrow which always has been very expensive for pick ups. My experience with Birmingham has always been a reasonable cost. Seems like they have now inflated their prices.

It is always a problem as there are often delays with flights customs and security.

John

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

John
At Luton Airport, you cannot even anywhere to park within 2 miles of the Airport, The closest shopping center is full of people waiting to get a call to then collect people.
You cannot even back track on yourself once past a certain roundabout, you have to go through the carpark and pay up.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman , This might help

I tried that and it quoted £49 for an hour's parking so gave up on that idea.

I’d be surprised if SA SIM card didn’t allow a text or call, otherwise tourist or business folks would be really inconvenienced. But whatever it must be the best option to pay parking and go over to arrivals and welcome them as you must really want to.

Daughter does not have roaming on her phone as very expensive in SA. Apparently it can cost a couple of thousand of rands. We converse using wifi.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Daughter does not have roaming on her phone as very expensive in SA. Apparently it can cost a couple of thousand of rands. We converse using wifi.

Surely there will be an old fashioned pay phone in the airport.

John

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Still cost me £6.00 in the multi storey awaiting family arrival at Birmingham . Sign of the grab what you can society🤬

You can get 20 minutes free at Birmingham Airport in the Long Stay car park, although they only recommend it for drop off (https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/airport-parking/birmingham-airport-passenger-drop-off/).

An alternative we use when meeting people arriving at Birmingham Airport is to wait at Birmingham International Rail Station, you get 20 minutes free in the car park next to the entrance. The passengers can get the little shuttle train to the Rail Station, and there are screeens detailing flight arrivals in the Airport.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Not sure where your looking Buckman but the taffifs in car park one seem ok.
Screenshot_2022-08-16-19-59-11.png

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Daughter is safe at home with us, but spouse and grandson are stuck in South Africa waiting for visas. Written to our MP 3 times and every time the response is that they are looking into it and will give updates which never happens.
In my last letter I mentioned that the MP had never given us any updates. Got a reply which left us totally gobsmacked. MP said that they had no response from Home Office and that daughter should approach an appropriate immigration counsel for advice!
I was under the impression that it was part of a MPs job to help resolve issues of those that voted them into the position. Sadly it seems that I was mistaken thinking that UKVI was a government body and only they could issue visas and not an immigration counsel? :mad:
Daughter now has her own home in the same area that the MP covers.

• Angry
Reactions: Bluetonic
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Daughter is safe at home with us, but spouse and grandson are stuck in South Africa waiting for visas. Written to our MP 3 times and every time the response is that they are looking into it and will give updates which never happens.
In my last letter I mentioned that the MP had never given us any updates. Got a reply which left us totally gobsmacked. MP said that they had no response from Home Office and that daughter should approach an appropriate immigration counsel for advice!
I was under the impression that it was part of a MPs job to help resolve issues of those that voted them into the position. Sadly it seems that I was mistaken thinking that UKVI was a government body and only they could issue visas and not an immigration counsel? :mad:
Sounding like a minefield of bureaucracy you as a family are trying to negotiate. Hoping that the future holds a positive outcome for you all especially your daughter who will be missing her son and husband. Thoughts and hopes are with you all that in the near future you can all celebrate together as a family,

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... Written to our MP 3 times and every time the response is that they are looking into it and will give updates which never happens.

Individual MP's do not have any specific powers to change or speed up government processes. They are generally offered easier access to to ministers or departments to ask questions, and they can lobby on behalf of their constituents, but they can't magically change the speed or outcome of a government decision.

Whilst it would be a courtesy for the MP to have written to you about the lack of response from the Government, I think it's unreasonable for them to be expected to continually provide update information when they are waiting to be updated themselves by the relative Govt' department. This would increase the the number of letters they have to write which takes time and money with no practical purpose.

I suspect the reference to using an immigration counsel, may reflect the the best way for a non constituent to access relevant information.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Individual MP's do not have any specific powers to change or speed up government processes. They are generally offered easier access to to ministers or departments to ask questions, and they can lobby on behalf of their constituents, but they can't magically change the speed or outcome of a government decision.

Whilst it would be a courtesy for the MP to have written to you about the lack of response from the Government, I think it's unreasonable for them to be expected to continually provide update information when they are waiting to be updated themselves by the relative Govt' department. This would increase the the number of letters they have to write which takes time and money with no practical purpose.

I suspect the reference to using an immigration counsel, may reflect the the best way for a non constituent to access relevant information.
It was the MP that advised us that the MP would update us, but never did. We did not expect a magic wand, just some help. If the MP stated that they could not help in this case, fair enough.
However to refer us to an immigration consultant when the MP is aware that an immigration consultant is being used is a joke as the immigration consultant cannot issue visas. Daughter's spouse and son cannot travel as their passports have been held by UKVI since May. They cannot even go to Eswatini to see my son to say goodbye and he is less than 300 miles away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as I can see, no one has suggested that an immigration consultant could issue a visa, and by the same token an MP can't issue them either.

I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of your family, and I hope it can be resolved fairly and quickly, but I suspect you have unrealistic expectations about the range of service or capabilities of the people you have contacted can provide.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As far as I can see, no one has suggested that an immigration consultant could issue a visa, and by the same token an MP can't issue them either.

I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of your family, and I hope it can be resolved fairly and quickly, but I suspect you have unrealistic expectations about the range of service or capabilities of the people you have contacted can provide.

I am unsure how an immigration consultant would be able to help speed up the process except to drain their savings further? No one said that the MP could issue a visa and neither did I state that an immigration consultant could even though the MP suggested that the consultant could somehow speed up the process.

Contact was made with MP to see if the MP could help as that is why they were elected and we certainly did nto have unrealistic expectations about what they coudl or could not do. In this case it does seem that the MP could not be bothered even when medical evidence was presented and the fact that our grandson is not ineducation at presnet waiting for the visa.

If they were unable to help, all that they needed to tell us it was not part of their remit instead of telling us that they will make contact with the Home office and that the MP will give us updates. They made the offer for which we were grateful, but then never kept their word.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am unsure how an immigration consultant would be able to help speed up the process except to drain their savings further? No one said that the MP could issue a visa and neither did I state that an immigration consultant could even though the MP suggested that the consultant could somehow speed up the process.

Contact was made with MP to see if the MP could help as that is why they were elected and we certainly did nto have unrealistic expectations about what they coudl or could not do. In this case it does seem that the MP could not be bothered even when medical evidence was presented and the fact that our grandson is not ineducation at presnet waiting for the visa.

If they were unable to help, all that they needed to tell us it was not part of their remit instead of telling us that they will make contact with the Home office and that the MP will give us updates. They made the offer for which we were grateful, but then never kept their word.
The MP can only do so much to increase the visibility of your case to the relevant area if the Home Office. I guess there are many MPs in UK trying to help with similar issues. Even before the Afghan withdrawal and Ukraine the Hone Office were experiencing delay via covid lockdowns etc, but those two additional events in 12 months will have put extra load on an already creaking system.

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...Contact was made with MP to see if the MP could help as that is why they were elected and we certainly did nto have unrealistic expectations about what they coudl or could not do. In this case it does seem that the MP could not be bothered even when medical evidence was presented and the fact that our grandson is not ineducation at presnet waiting for the visa. ...

Strictly you elect an MP based on their manifesto which you feel will best represent the the constituencies interests in the Commons. They are not actually elected to help individuals, however an MP that doesn't help constituent's, where they reasonably can, probably won't be re-elected.

I cannot comment about your MP's empathy or concern with your relatives situation, that is something you may feel you should take up with him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts