Did PHEV drive out of flood in Brechin

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking at the news from Brechin in Scotland I saw a car with water high up its bonnet drive out of a flood. By normal standards it would require a snorkel in that situation. But I’m sure the lady said it was a PHEV and that’s how they drove out.

Could this be an unsung plus for electric vehicles. However certainly not something to be encouraged 🙈

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Onlying a complete buffoon woukd drive ANY type of vehicle through deep water of any type. No idea what the water is hiding. An open inspection hole where the lid has blown off, large lump of concrete, abandoned motorbike that has fallen over etc

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Onlying a complete buffoon woukd drive ANY type of vehicle through deep water of any type. No idea what the water is hiding. An open inspection hole where the lid has blown off, large lump of concrete, abandoned motorbike that has fallen over etc
Whilst your views are correct what we don’t see on the news is the actions leading up to the car being in the deep water. It looked very much as if the elderly lady was coming off her drive. Not everyone is knowledgeable on flood risks. When I was a member of Wessex 4x4 response despite having an advanced off roading certificate the groups in house training covered flood response actions in quite some depth ……🙈

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
When I was a member of Wessex 4x4 response despite having an advanced off roading certificate the groups in house training covered flood response actions in quite some depth ……🙈

I like it, that must have been up to about 18" if using Defenders;)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Provided the air intake is above the water level (as with a LR where it is at the top back corner of the offside front wing) and it is a diesel there should be no problem gong through water.
When I went on an off-road course and we used a Vauxhall Frontera and had to drive through a bund full of water which occasionally washed over the bonnet. The secret was to keep it going once it was started and always keep a small bow-wave in front!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We were taught to wade across any river in flood with a pole to measure depth and also to feel resistance on the pole to gauge strength of the water flow. If possibly dangerous, we simply camped up until it was safe to cross which could be a couple of days.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Provided the air intake is above the water level (as with a LR where it is at the top back corner of the offside front wing) and it is a diesel there should be no problem gong through water.
When I went on an off-road course and we used a Vauxhall Frontera and had to drive through a bund full of water which occasionally washed over the bonnet. The secret was to keep it going once it was started and always keep a small bow-wave in front!
Pajero air intake is in off side wing right at top. Gives good wading depth even without snorkel but required additional extended breather pipes on diffs and gearbox.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Youtube has some great examples of how to and how not to drive in deep water. Good entertainment for wet day in the caravan.
View: https://youtu.be/89UnPqEa1pg?si=uMkt1_-X52pLCipK

Most drivers enter slowing and plant foot sending water over bonnet into air intake. Van drivers and prestige car drivers seem to be worst at this.
Saw one smart cookie drive through backwards which kept air intake free. Would've put boot seal to test.
Snorkel isn't going help when car decides to float and loss traction. By time its settled back on bottom damge has been done.

Electric cars do have advantage here as extra mass helps keep wheels on ground. What videos don't show is EV going up in flames few hours or days later due to water ingress causing electrical fire.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts