DID YOU SEE THAT ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The tractor unit driven by PC Nairn has been used to target hgv drivers who use mobile phones, laptops and in at least one case a dvd player when driving along the midlands sections of the M5/M6.

The officer in the passenger seat films the offence and from the height of the truck cab the police can easily see what the offending driver is doing when he is driving on the motorway.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
LUTZ and Parksey,

yes that is the one,thanks for that.Can I ask if the driver of this vehicle has to have a tacho card and keep to drivers hours regulations. Or is this another case of the police being above the law? I do appreciate the reasoning behind it but HGV drivers are the only sector I am aware of that are penalised for what they do when not working ie:- because they have a combined license now they are far more likely to infringe some driving laws.A pilot or ships captain does not loose his occupational license for what he does in his own time.The way I see it is this, if you wash cups for a living the chances of you breaking a cup are higher than if you wash cups and saucers.

And yes, HIMSELF is a retired driver after 40 years.My brother and son are also "STEERING WHEEL ATTENDANTS"I am not in favour of poor practice in any profession but I still think aspects of this are unfair.

Wait whilst I take cover against the barrage!!!!

Thursdays Child

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
They want to use these trucks to view into cars as well. Some of the things I have seen looking into cars when they pass is frightening, glad they are not doing the same speed as me in me truck im out of the way at 56mph

Kevin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm an ex lorry driver Thursdays Child and from what I've seen general driving standards have markedly deteriorated and particularly amongst some drivers of heavy goods vehicles.

What might be acceptable in parts of Eastern Europe is certainly not acceptable here and police have seen evidence of mobile phone use, use of laptop computers and in one case the driver was watching a dvd when he was driving down the motorway.

Your son and your brother have to share the roads with these lunatics and I would have thought that you would be happy to see at least some of them taken off our roads.

It's unfair when motorists or fellow truckers are killed and injured by drivers in 44 tonne rigs who chat on their mobile phones or use computers when they are driving and this tractor unit is a good tool to enable the West Midlands Traffic Unit to make some of the most crowded stretches of motorway in Europe safe.

It's not exactly inconspicuous and any driver who is concentrating and driving with due care and attention will see it coming up behind them straight away.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Parksy. I do agree with your views on driving standards and I hope the new directive regarding a professional qualification will sort the good from the dangerous.I can remember the first week of work my brother did after just passing his CLASS 1!!He knew nowt about loading,roping and sheeting and very little about the lorry he was given.He was terrified and in his own words "deadly". No one cared as long as the job got done. My son was more fortunate as his father taught him the things he needed to know.People do not realise what is involved in getting these vehicles safely from A to B in a set time and keep the office happy after they have made promises you cannot keep.Perhaps it is time some effort was put into finding out about some of the unscrupulous practices in the logistics depts that contribute to drivsrs taking chances. I appreciate that I am probably pushing against an open door with you knowing all this already.Just a bit tired of those that "can" pushing people around people who just want to work on a regular basis.I do not believe that there is a driver on the roads who has NEVER broken some rule or another.Myself included.I have owned some powerful cars and used the power too sometimes but I was just lucky and was never caught.Was I DANGEROUS, yes ,but not on paper.That is the only difference.

Well yesterday as they say is "another country" NUFF SAID?

Thursdays Child

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Your post takes me back in time Thursdays Child.

I started by off driving private hire taxis when I was in my twenties and we ought to have been called express cars because when travelling empty to the next pick up we'd have given Jensen Button a run for his money.

After that I had a spell of van driving and moved up to 3.5 tonners still on a 'normal' licence, the first time that I tried the air brakes was very interesting!

I thought that I could drive until I went for my class 3 licence and it was only then that I started to learn how to drive properly.

I later passed the class 1 and delivered steel including bright bar and pickled and oiled sheet. The back loads could be anything and it was chained, roped sheeted etc which was a vital aspect of the job that has all but disappeared now.

I'd agree that we've all broken the rules but our roads are so crowded nowadays and our drivers are forced to compete for a livelihood with drivers from all over Europe.

If our drivers have to obey the rules and by and large they do then why shouldn't those who are robbing them of their living have to obey the same rules?

The West Mids traffic unit know who they are looking out for ;0)

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Your post takes me back in time Thursdays Child.

I started by off driving private hire taxis when I was in my twenties and we ought to have been called express cars because when travelling empty to the next pick up we'd have given Jensen Button a run for his money.

After that I had a spell of van driving and moved up to 3.5 tonners still on a 'normal' licence, the first time that I tried the air brakes was very interesting!

I thought that I could drive until I went for my class 3 licence and it was only then that I started to learn how to drive properly.

I later passed the class 1 and delivered steel including bright bar and pickled and oiled sheet. The back loads could be anything and it was chained, roped sheeted etc which was a vital aspect of the job that has all but disappeared now.

I'd agree that we've all broken the rules but our roads are so crowded nowadays and our drivers are forced to compete for a livelihood with drivers from all over Europe.

If our drivers have to obey the rules and by and large they do then why shouldn't those who are robbing them of their living have to obey the same rules?

The West Mids traffic unit know who they are looking out for ;0)
It is like "days of future past" is it not. It is comforting to know that the traffic unit are acting in everyone's best interests.Where we live in Lincs there is fierce competition in the transport industry and they all want it done quicker and cheaper. Both you and I know the two objectives do not go hand in hand.Hopefully the job will become less cut throat when it is recognised as a skill.I have spent many hours in the passenger seat of a "wagon" and I know that I could not do it.most folk get in a tizz if they take the wrong turn in a car, how would we get on with a 42ton 40ft truck?My son used to " do the markets" when he first started at 21 and I would go with him through the night. I was amazed by Borough Market when he had to reverse round stuff dropped on the curb.He got the money for his HGV lessons by taking a little fridge box full of strawberries up to Scotland and back for

Dec 22, 2008
Visit site
over 30 yrs ago i was involved in an rtc on the a 74. i was driving a 32 tonner, max in those days. the bloke in front of me broke down and i was waiting for a gap to pull out and go round him, when another 32 tonner hit me from behind. he was pushing me along and i saw the vehicle in front getting closer to me. me braking had no effect as i couldnt stop me and the bloke behind. anyway i could see it was going to be bad and managed to get myself out of the way of the steering wheel wich went through the back of my seat. i had to be cut out of the cab, but im sure that if i had been wearing a seat belt i would not be here today. i cant see the point of having them in an hgv.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Raymond that must have been your lucky day!!!THANK GOD!!!I remember my son with 32ton of steel coming ofF a roundabout on a welsh mountain road to find his brakes gone. After trying to slow it down by bouncing it off the side walls he finally decided that he would have to put it on its side he managed to bring it to rest in an escape channel.The welsh constabulary arrived very quickly as they had been alerted to a potential catastrophe if the truck had reached the cross roads at the bottom of the road.They looked at the gravel which was up to the door handle and said"NICE PARKING DRIVER"The wagon was dragged out unscathed with load intact and taken to Renault where it was discovered that when they had serviced the trailer a cable had been compromised.

There must be a story like these for every HGV driver past and present.Thank goodness the majority walk away.

Thursdays Child

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

In my opinion, disqualification should not be used as a punishment. As my son's mate said.... "If I lose my licence, my kids don't get new shoes!"

If you are not fit to drive due to disability, or ATTITUDE, should be disqualified for life - or until you can prove, at your own expense, that you are now fit to hold a licence. How you do that will be between you and the courts. I think this is already the case with serious drink drive disqualifications.

Lets face it, some people will ignore a disqualification, so what good does that do the rest of us, apart from remove our protection by the insurance companies.

So what is a good deterent/punishment? Dunno!

I was reading recently that if somebody who is "disqualified till test passed" drives without being accompanied, they are actually "driving while disqualified".

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
602, from TV programs I have seen most of the people who break motoring laws do not need a license because they live close to public transport and have ALL DAY to wait for a bus!!!I appreciate that at the moment unemployment is high but that means that the majority cannot pay penalty fines anyway.It is a sad fact that the working man/woman is at a disadvantage in some aspects.I do not see the sense in taking away the means to earn your living it just means another family with no future.I am like you I can see the problems but the answers are beyond me!!!WHY DONT WE ALL JUST BEHAVE?????????

Thursdays Child

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Thursday,

your original post seems to be about the tactics and depths the plod will go to to get a case against some drivers.

I can assure you, i am against a lot of these covert operations, they also use other tactics against the biking community on a regular basis, ask anyone from Wales.

However, we have to be honest here and think of the consequences these morons could create through their ignorance of the law. Recently the one of the main causes of accident, death in relation to motorcyclists is from others using mobiles etc, therefore not being able to concentrate. I lost a good friend this way and it is really hard for me to drive past others chatting away on their phones, wish i could do a u turn and pull them up myself.

Aye, the laws an ass at times, but theres times it does good.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The law which forbids the use of hand held mobile phones has got to be one of the most blatantly flouted pieces of legislation ever.

The idiots who annoy me most of all are those with the phone in their right hand holding it clamped to their left ear.

They should face an instant driving ban with their vehicle impounded until they sit an extended driving test along with the drunks.

How anyone can claim to be in control of a vehicle whilst performing some sort of Japanese stranglehold on themselves is beyond me.

I'd like to add that my mobile phone has been sat in a drawer for over a year because I don't need one. Those who need to contact me just phone Herself who doesn't drive and she does the rest.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
The law which forbids the use of hand held mobile phones has got to be one of the most blatantly flouted pieces of legislation ever.

The idiots who annoy me most of all are those with the phone in their right hand holding it clamped to their left ear.

They should face an instant driving ban with their vehicle impounded until they sit an extended driving test along with the drunks.

How anyone can claim to be in control of a vehicle whilst performing some sort of Japanese stranglehold on themselves is beyond me.

I'd like to add that my mobile phone has been sat in a drawer for over a year because I don't need one. Those who need to contact me just phone Herself who doesn't drive and she does the rest.
Why are you getting your knickers in a twist? If you obey the law then there should be no worries. At least a Police Officer has discretion, something a camera doesn't.

My brother-in-law is a trucker, and he once whinged that "mines the only job that you can get sent to prison for doing". Wrong. If you get sent to prison whilst doing your job, you aren't doing it properly!

Whether we like it or not, (and I don't neccesarily agree with all laws), the laws are there.

Touch wood, I have a clean driving licence. I drive at least 20,000 miles a year (not massive I grant you), but I'm not a proffessional driver. I don't drive like Miss Daisy either, but I do try to be careful. If I've not got my blue tooth phone with my, the phone is off. As it says on the advert, "Simples".

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Why are you getting your knickers in a twist? If you obey the law then there should be no worries. At least a Police Officer has discretion, something a camera doesn't.

My brother-in-law is a trucker, and he once whinged that "mines the only job that you can get sent to prison for doing". Wrong. If you get sent to prison whilst doing your job, you aren't doing it properly!

Whether we like it or not, (and I don't neccesarily agree with all laws), the laws are there.

Touch wood, I have a clean driving licence. I drive at least 20,000 miles a year (not massive I grant you), but I'm not a proffessional driver. I don't drive like Miss Daisy either, but I do try to be careful. If I've not got my blue tooth phone with my, the phone is off. As it says on the advert, "Simples".

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

'Why are you getting your knickers in a twist?'

Err, I'm not!

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
IN MY OPINION

These blooming mobile phones are running our lives!!Why are some people so obsessed with phones? They panic over missed calls,leave answer machines on in the house, check 1471 and then spend hours wondering who rang but "failed to leave a number"We waste time keeping them charged and updating info,checking credit,topping up,searching for them cos they are lost.BUT most of all ignoring people we do not want to speak to who keep leaving messages.I can understand that a mobile can be invaluable in some instances but do they have to play music,connect to the internet and have hundreds of "APPS"?

The amount of folk who use them whilst driving is scary.I am not a captain of industry and no longer work and I own a mobile but unless I go out alone it is sitting in the drawer.I think some people text trying to avoid having personal contact because they are uncomfortable with the possible repercussions.

Wait a minute tho!!!WHAT ABOUT THESE BLOOMING COMPUTERS????

GUILTY YOUR HONOUR!!!!

Thurdays Child

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts