diesel.......advantages

May 27, 2006
Visit site
For some months now Ive struggled along with costs etc of my great GV XL7 2.7ltr petrol estate.

The family has agreed we no longer need a big car so today Ive been out and bought a 2 year old 2ltr 3door Vitara diesel which is still a 67% match for us towing.

Problem is the family are now demanding to know exactly what the advantages of diesel is over petrol.

I know most of the advantages but cant put them into words soooooooo...can anyone give me a simple list of advantages that totaly non techie family will understand

Please

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
a turbodiesel,develops much more lowdown grunt than a petrol engine,this is of great use normally but even more so when towing.of corse you could get similar charactistics from a modern turbo petrol, and if lpg fuelled, better economy measured by cash in hand.

problem is there are more turbodiesels out there on the market,so it makes the logical choice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Pop Up.

Which choice of car you go for is of course down to your personal choice, so you could simply tell you family that, but there are some quantifiable differences between diesel and petrol equivalents.

It is generally accepted that the greater power and torque curve of the diesel engine being able to pull strongly at lower revs suits towing better than any equivalent size of petrol engine.

Fuel economy, a diesel engine will typically be between 25 and 35% better for a solo vehicle in terms of miles per gallon. Also when towing the diesel can provide an even better improvement over petrol.

Traditionally diesel engines have tended to be more long lived petrol engines and tolerate higher mileages. (The more recent modern engines have yet to be proven in this area)

On the downside:

When purchased new, Diesel cars are typically more expensive.

Most diesels are nosier esp at tick over, and produce more vibrations. Depending on the vehicle you may be more aware of it inside.

The performance (i.e 0 to 60 and top speeds) are usually better in petrol vehicles, but mot diesels have more than enough performance to meet the needs (as different to the want's) of the average UK motorist.

Diesels usually have shorter service intervals.

Some spare parts are more expensive than the equivalent petrol engine components.

Fuel is typically 2 to 5p per litre more expensive, but this is more than offset by the overall economy.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Hello Pop Up.

Which choice of car you go for is of course down to your personal choice, so you could simply tell you family that, but there are some quantifiable differences between diesel and petrol equivalents.

It is generally accepted that the greater power and torque curve of the diesel engine being able to pull strongly at lower revs suits towing better than any equivalent size of petrol engine.

Fuel economy, a diesel engine will typically be between 25 and 35% better for a solo vehicle in terms of miles per gallon. Also when towing the diesel can provide an even better improvement over petrol.

Traditionally diesel engines have tended to be more long lived petrol engines and tolerate higher mileages. (The more recent modern engines have yet to be proven in this area)

On the downside:

When purchased new, Diesel cars are typically more expensive.

Most diesels are nosier esp at tick over, and produce more vibrations. Depending on the vehicle you may be more aware of it inside.

The performance (i.e 0 to 60 and top speeds) are usually better in petrol vehicles, but mot diesels have more than enough performance to meet the needs (as different to the want's) of the average UK motorist.

Diesels usually have shorter service intervals.

Some spare parts are more expensive than the equivalent petrol engine components.

Fuel is typically 2 to 5p per litre more expensive, but this is more than offset by the overall economy.
John

re service interval my Volvo V70 is every 18K miles or once a year. mind you you need to take out a new mortgage to pay for it

May 22, 2006
Visit site
Can`t agree John L, diesels dont usually have shorter service intervals than petrol. My Vectra 2.0 DTi has a recomended service interval of 20,000 miles, I do not let it go that far without changing filters and oil, I do it once a year usualy early spring ready for the season as I only average 9/10,000miles a year

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello all,

Ok perhaps I used the wrong word, traditionally diesels have had shorter service intervals, and I accept without reservation that some have longer

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, got to speak up for petrol! Owned and towed with both and petrol does it for me, even modern common rails are noisy, smelly and dirty and if you don't do a load of miles or drive in mainland Europe are NOT cheaper to run to compensate either.

Give me a large perol or LPG powered V6 or 8 coupled to an autobox anyday for smoothness, power and yes torque at low revs too.

Obviously I am not alone in thinking this, just look at what the CC chose as their TCOY, yes it was a 2.5 petrol Mondeo folks.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi David,

I wouldn't place too much (or any real) faith in the TCOY awards - it's only open to new or face-lifted models released in that year.

Which explains why the same car can't win TCOY two years in succession (or at least now it can't), no matter how good it is, and isn't a true reflection of the cars you can buy.

And of course the "judges" get to drive the newest cars.

Robert

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Excuse me for thinking that a little cynicism is creeping in to your thinking here Rob.

They did also test the diesel version of the Mondeo and still put the 2.5 petrol ahead.

I think that can be said to be comparing apples with apples.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Cynical, moi?

Actually I wasn't being cynical, merely pointing out that they only test what's new - and that's fine - but it doesn't exactly make it easy for the prospective purchaser to find out what's best in the show-room.

And they didn't test the new Ford diesel, they tested the old diesel engine in the new bodyshell - the new 170 bhp twin-Turbo was missing from the review, but probably will be there next year.

And there were some interesting selection choices made - it might be interesting to ask the judges why they selected to drive the biggest engined Ford Mondeo and the smallest engined Mercedes C-class CDI? That's pretty much the inverse of what people actually buy from those two brands.

Robert

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments. I family seemed happy enough with them.

Picked the car up 2pm today and have done the full family inspection and local tour stuff. Everybody seems content with the choice so onwards and away⇨.

Just gotta work out as I go the new gear changing speeds and capabilities

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If its not been said already;

just double check and check again the "petrol pump" nozzle is NOT petrol but diesel.

Modern diesel engines can be wrecked by very small amounts of petrol. If you or the wife put any in don't even switch the ignition no to move from the pump, call your motoring service.

Its cost some people upwards to

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
If its not been said already;

just double check and check again the "petrol pump" nozzle is NOT petrol but diesel.

Modern diesel engines can be wrecked by very small amounts of petrol. If you or the wife put any in don't even switch the ignition no to move from the pump, call your motoring service.

Its cost some people upwards to

May 27, 2006
Visit site
"just double check and check again the "petrol pump" nozzle is NOT petrol but diesel"

Thanks, checked that as the tank was nearly MT and with son leaning out the window shouting it at me non stop.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts