Diesel

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Set
you are the diesel expert.
I was a mere mortal was at the mercy of a Kia main dealer.

Before I spent too much I agreed to one hour of diagnostics.
The report stated the EGR valve was only opening and closing about 25% of its range.
I can only say when it and the turbo pipes were changed all was well.
Thereafter I ceased exclusive use of supermarket fuel. No further problems.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If its just carbon gunge affecting the EGR quite a few types can be cleaned using paraffin. Various videos on Youtube show the general approach. They are normally quite easy to remove and inspect.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello Dusty "an expert" thank you very much,but not sure on that though.Ive been in diesel engineering for 25 years from a school leaver.Worked for two major global manufactures,im now lucky or unlucky enough to have my own company.But we only deal in heavy automotive,construction and marine,not cars in any way shape or form.But in all the things ive seen one thing that strikes me as poor is car egr systems,the vast majority have no way of cooling egr gases before entering the engine to be reburnt.Lowering egr temperature can result in much cleaner engines.Also the open times of egr,either open or shut and zero inbetween.
Getting back to what i was harping on about if anyones still awake is an article i read about Audis 2 litre PD when they choose to rate it at 170hp(source seat/audi forum) which lead to serious dpf issues.Their answer was a flash program of the EDC to re-rate the engine at 150hp on the fist service.Its a minefield.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
properly wrote this before on another Egr Valve topic. but back in the late 90s what diesel mag or which diesel mag as it was called then, cannot recall which, was writing articles concerning Egr valves on the then modern diesel engines pre common-rail systems, if it matters. they were already concerned by the amount of sludge they were seeing in long term test cars, inlet tracts all due to the EGR valve and of course the EGR valve condition too.
nothings really changed and as Seths states, its difficult to put any failure down to one issue,apart from its a dirty environment, as all there test long or short term [which diesel] were done using premium brand fuels..so i suppose its a time issue does using premium brand fuels merely delay or make it less likely to foul up the EGR Valve functioning properly? when i bought my second hand Mondeo it stated to bellow out black smoke after a short while, local ford dealer stated Egr valve fault and also a change of wiring! checking the service history i noted it had had a new one fitted only 10 months earlier and 8 months prior to my purchasing it and showing at 85k at a Wakefield ford dealer ship now at 94k strangely needed doing again.of course i pointed out to my local ford dealer that clearly the part was still under warranty regardless of change of ownership..that was in 2009. car now done 145k up to now Egr valve has worked fine, i have always assumed it was properly a wiring issue all along that led to the Egr valve faults..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
No real idea if using supermarket fuel makes a difference. I have tried comparing mpg as cannot detect any difference when driving but different routes and traffic levels made this unreliable. I tend to use mostly supermarket fuel with the odd premium brand tankfull from time to time and this seems to work. The Esso station up the road tends to take 3p off on Saturdays and give Tesco points so its a win win situation on those days.

TRENDING THREADS