Dirty weekend

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wife is not very happy having a dirty weekend and we are at home! I managed to get in a shower, but wondered why I was being scalded one minute and then frozen the next. Shouted at wife to switch off washing machine or dishwasher, but neither were switched on.

Got dressed and went to switch on cold water tap for my cup of tea and lot of spluttering, hissing and noises and no water initially then water came out and it was very dirty before coming clear. Had to chuck out the Brita filter as it got contaminated. Filled kitchen sink with hot water for dishes, turned on cold water and nothing. No water in the home at all.

Took me nearly 20 minutes to get through to Severn Trent who logged the call and said someone would be around within the next 4 hours. A bit later on checking my phone there was a text message stating there was an issue in our area that they were fixing. Strange that the call centre had no idea of any repairs being done in our area.

Wife not very happy as only other water is the water kept in fridge and she does not fancy a freezing cold wash! Dogs are the only happy ones as they know no bath today. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Fraseb01
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are just back from Carnon Downs, digger went through 2 water pipes in Newquay area, left most of Truro and surrounding area without water,back on in less than 24 hours, but funny colour for a while, didn't stop some people complaining to the site awrdens about lack of water

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We are just back from Carnon Downs, digger went through 2 water pipes in Newquay area, left most of Truro and surrounding area without water,back on in less than 24 hours, but funny colour for a while, didn't stop some people complaining to the site awrdens about lack of water
Perhaps they should move to a landlocked country bordering Pakistan. Then they might have something to complain about. Although it is likely that complaining might bring a swift and unpleasant response. Or perhaps try Louisiana where complaints are allowed.

I really can’t understand that when something like that happens some people are unable to see the reality of life. As they say “ S*** happens”

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
When the water supply was disrupted in our area South Staffs supplied vulnerable customers with packs of bottled water.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am sure Souh West Water did their best as the interruption happened on the Bank Holiday Monday, local TV showed the holes they needed to dig ,pretty deep, and turns out the damage was caused by a third party digger, TV also showed SW Water handing out bottled water to people with babies etc, who had urgent need,inthe scale of things not a disaster, and SWW were very good on faceache with regular updates.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When the water supply was disrupted in our area South Staffs supplied vulnerable customers with packs of bottled water.
We had the same, in Milton Keynes, 6 hours without mains water and everyhouse delivered with 6 X 2 Litesres of water bottles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our water supply was disrupted for about 3 hours yesterday so Severn Trent were on the ball. Apparently it was burst mains in the area.
However now when you pour a glass on water you would think the supply was connected up to a cow somewhere as water very milky and takes a while to settle. Also gave me a bit of a tummy ache but that could be coincidental. :D
Luckily we always have a couple of litres of water in stock however next shopping day we will eb buying 2 x 5litre bottles of water just in case we have an issue over the winter.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have about 200 gallons of water in our loft, if the mains supply stops. We can always boil up a few kettels worth, if needed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have about 200 gallons of water in our loft, if the mains supply stops. We can always boil up a few kettels worth, if needed.
Wow that is a lot of weight in the ceiling. BTW if there is a water issue and you use hot water draining the boiler, can this affect the element in the boiler if there is no water in the boiler? I have no idea as never been a plumber.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wow that is a lot of weight in the ceiling. BTW if there is a water issue and you use hot water draining the boiler, can this affect the element in the boiler if there is no water in the boiler? I have no idea as never been a plumber.
Yes it could damage the element if you drain a system to the point the element is uncovered and you turn it on.

But most hot water systems should have been installed to either keep the element covered even if the cold supply is fully used up. or to have a water sensor (level or pressure) which prevents the element from turning on if there is no water covering it.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes it could damage the element if you drain a system to the point the element is uncovered and you turn it on.

But most hot water systems should have been installed to either keep the element covered even if the cold supply is fully used up. or to have a water sensor (level or pressure) which prevents the element from turning on if there is no water covering it.
Thanks as I did not know and did not want to take the chance. The whole system was changed in 2012 when the air source heating was installed so should be up to date.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to add today we lost power at about 12pm and it only came back on again at about 3pm. Good job it is warm today and no heating required. LOL! :D

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We had a water issue two years ago at Lakeside. Somebody managed to banjo the main supply pipe with a digger, and we had a site with no water for a week. Luckily we had both barrels and the inboard tank full when the incident occured, so we managed reasonably well.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I wonder if it is coincidence that all the issues have started happening since they started digging up the road through the village?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thats the way our houses were built back in 1970. And many others as well. It is 4 Ft diameter, by 3 ft.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts