Disabled caravaning

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear that John.

Hopefully the docs have fixed the problem and there will be no recurrence.

An old friend suffered a series of issues , heart attacks and a stroke.
His overall mobility was very poor so he used a disability , fold up buggy wherever he went.
Caravan wise he just took his time and where a fit person may hitch or pitch in say 30 minutes he allowed himself anything up to two hours.

Awnings were scrapped. But others I know use side mounted canopy type awnings that wind out.

He took his time on travelling stopping regularly for comfort breaks and leg stretch.

You may be pleasantly surprised how many stroke victims do still caravan. Take it all at your own pace. Gentle walking I believe is very important to keep everything going.
Good luckđź‘Ť

Reactions: GaryB

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Don’t take an awning. Consider if you need a rail on your caravan step. Book sites with fully serviced pitches. Consider if a small mobility scooter would help ( once saw a chap “towing” the toilet cassette to the emptying point on the back of a mobility scooter-brilliant). Try a trip to a site near your home initially and consider all the challenges you face and what work around you can use. As DD said, take as long as you need to set up ( we had the same friend). Many ( but sadly not all ) stroke survivors find an improvement in physical symptoms over time, Hope this is true for you. All the best.
Mel

Reactions: GaryB and Dustydog
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I'd consider using a power tool to raise/lower corner steadies....ensure screw threads well lubricated first and operate at same speed as you would by hand...As stated above take your time...Nowadays I practice the Cornish advice"Don't do today what you can do tomorrow".🙂..I hope all goes well.. Gary

Reactions: Dustydog and GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My stepfather is 90 and has COPD which is a lung disease meaning he struggles for breath doing what most see as simple tasks. He (and my mum) still use a caravan, their stance is to simply let every task “take as long as it takes”. As also said previously, don’t be afraid to ask for help, most folks will be very obliging.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I had 90% blocked arteries to both legs from 2016. I could walk very short distances but otherwise needed a mobility scooter. I found it really hard to carry on. Then the van developed damp. So we sold up. Then, after 7 years of struggle. I had stents fitted. They have given me a new lease of life. But it will be too expensive and a big risk to restart.

I suggest you cut back as much as possible and keep camping as simple as possible. We were far too used to having everything. In this way you should be able to carry on, but you don’t want it to become a chore. To be worth it, caravanning needs to be a pleasant experience.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I use to find our porch awning was hard work so with the kampa easy awning pulley and with the help of my wife ,we often took a mobility scooter because i also cannot walk far due to been asthmatic . But we always use serviced pitches .

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts