Discovery3 SE

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am starting to think about changing Shogun, and have seen the Discovery 3 SE, quite like the car but have concerns about the electric handbrake and air suspension together with general reliability issues, does any one tow with one and what has yours been like, I am particularly interested in the manual gearbox?

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I think i would be concerned about issues with the engines and if for any reason a repair needed doing on the engine.Its a body off job to do more or less anything on the engine.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Taking the body off for any work on the engine is a total myth! In the early days of the D3, if there were turbo problems (and there were a few!!!), LR's instructions were to remove the body. However, body removal was designed into the vehicle, so was not the huge job that it sounds. Latterly, that has changed, and there is no need to remove the body any more.

Back to the original question. I owned (and towed with) a 2005 D3 SE with a manual gearbox for three years (2009-2012) after taking part in the Tow Car Awards, and realising the vehicle's capabilities. I will admit that it had its issues (all the common faults like sticking EGR valves x2, sticking turbo actuator, and a replacement air suspension compressor), which were all covered under warranty. I'd only had the vehicle a couple of weeks when the clutch failed (at 45,000 miles). Again, that was repaired under warranty, but the LR Dealer suggested that about 90,000 miles was the norm depending upon use. Obviously mine had suffered from a lot of towing/stop-start use. However, I would be wary of having a manual gearbox as the clutch is a known weak link, and not that many were sold to be honest. The auto suits it much better.

With regards to the park brake, I never had any problems with it. The most common problem with them is known as the "Disco Scream", which is generally caused by a lack of adjustment.

Bear in mind that the newest D3 is now getting on for being at least six years old, and as they are big heavy things, be mindful that suspension bushes might be getting towards needing replacing.

Don't be put off by the scaremongers. As with ANY vehicle, there are good and bad. The D3 does not have the best of reliability records admittedly, but when you look at what fails, it is usually the bits that I had. The best accessory that you could buy is a decent warranty (they are expensive vehicles to buy and run, and any repairs that might be needed are likely to be expensive too).

As a tow vehicle, (and all-round vehicle for that matter) it was excellent, and when the time came to replace it, I considered just about everything imaginable which would tow our caravan (which was a very long list indeed), but because of its all-round ability, the D4 won the day. The D3 never let me down (as in being broken down, leaving me stranded), because it still drove with the above faults, albeit with reduced performance.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Had a Disco, V8 3 litre, rusty as hell, but performed well, except for MPG. Horrendous.
Went for Cherokee Jeep. Horrible drive. Wandered all over the place, never seemed stable.
So now have Disco MK 3 TDI, auto.
Well used, but happy to drive it. Pulls caravan easily with decent MPG of 27.
Comfy, versatile and with Landy main attributes. Go anywhere.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Never read so much conflicting information about a vehicle in my life which ends by saying "the best thing you can do is buy a warranty" Says quite alot about the vehicle to me.
The vehicle is known for reliability issues,buying one long out of warranty is one hell of a chance.Ive seen a good few with destroyed engines and all with the same ultimate fault.An extremely inferia design.I can think of a lot better for the same or less money,Volvo xc90 comes to mind.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your replies,I have now driven the car and although it was very good on the outside,it felt sluggish against the Shogun,and on test drive warning lights came on the dashboard, the parking sensors were not all working and it had a brake light out,even though I wanted to like the car it is now out of the question.My dilemma
is that we do 8k miles a year with our tow car and it spends most of its life on our drive,I can't justify £25k for a newish Shogun so have a budget of £15k max but Shogun in that price range has road tax £500,probably end up keeping the one we have for now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts